Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Savage announces new straight pull rifles

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I wasn’t suggesting they are anywhere near PRS capability but for the generalist they seem solid as hell. I’m definitely a Tikka cultist for production bolts but the Savage stock fit is better for me and to see the 6.5 PRC and Proof barrels offered stock is a nice bonus.
    We're on the same page

I would take a Tikka over a Savage if I have my choice.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Regardless of whether anyone cares for it, it’s great to see something different from a US manufacturer. I’d like it to be a pound and a half lighter and a spacer adjustable length of pull. Iron sights would be nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post

It’s a LOT less expensive than the Euro straight pull rifles.
    I had to look. No kidding.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Looks like Timney makes a replacement trigger? That's the aspect of Savage rifles that I like the least.
    Out of curiosity what don't you like about the Savage trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Out of curiosity what don't you like about the Savage trigger?
    Nothing wrong with it, for a budget gun. I just like other high end triggers much better.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    Serious question (because I only own a regular Tikka T3X): is the only innovation here that this rifle is made in the US and can easily swapped from left to right hand use? Because there are a number of straight pull hunting rifles that have been on the European market for several years, so it's not really anything new!?
    A few that come to mind:
    - Blaser R8
    - Merkel RX Helix
    - Heym SR-30
    - Steel Action HS/HM
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    Serious question (because I only own a regular Tikka T3X): is the only innovation here that this rifle is made in the US and can easily swapped from left to right hand use? Because there are a number of straight pull hunting rifles that have been on the European market for several years, so it's not really anything new!?
    A few that come to mind:
    - Blaser R8
    - Merkel RX Helix
    - Heym SR-30
    - Steel Action HS/HM
    It’s a LOT less expensive than the Euro straight pull rifles.
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I had to look. No kidding.
    In my experience, there's a really big difference between European hunters and North American hunters. Traditionally, hunters in Europe have been the wealthy and/or the nobility - they owned the land and everything on it, and anyone else harvesting game was by definition a poacher. Dropping big money on an engraved drilling was no big deal. In contrast, hunters in the New World were pioneers who had to hunt to feed their families. Hunting guns were plain and relatively inexpensive.

Since WWII, both traditions seem to have changed. There are more middle-class hunters in Europe, and few North Americans will go hungry if they don't fill their deer tag. But the European tradition of expensive rifles remains for many. And they are cool rifles!

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Nothing wrong with it, for a budget gun. I just like other high end triggers much better.
    Sure enough. I might substitute a working gun for a budget gun but some people have a much higher standard of abuse they're willing to subject their rifles to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I can see it now - Looks like one of those rapid fire rifles with a magazine thingy, we should ban it.

The left-handed option convinced me, I'm in.
    A left-handed buddy of mine said the same thing. I haven't jumped on the 6.5 wagon yet, and this would be a cool way to start.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Anyone know what the magazine pattern is, and the expected price? If it will feed P-Mags, I might be interested in a Hog Hunter at the right price...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Anyone know what the magazine pattern is, and the expected price? If it will feed P-Mags, I might be interested in a Hog Hunter at the right price...

I wasn’t able to confirm this info either. The hog hunter gets my tail wagging, too.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List