Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Savage announces new straight pull rifles

Site Supporter
    Hog Hunter with AICS/MAGPUL mag compatibility is a no-brainer. I hope they made it so.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    Check out Dan Bertocchini - 08:32

Here’s fast with a bolt gun.

im strong, i can run faster than train

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Here’s fast with a bolt gun.

That's cool and all at maybe 100 yards for fun under no pressure, but that's not Dan at his absolute quickest. And did you see the various targets at different distances on the clock under pressure shooting against some of the best in the nation?
    8"/10"/24" from 493 yards to 881 yards on this stage... Not exactly comparable IMO.
    Last edited by CS Tactical; 01-08-2021 at 02:59 PM.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    That's cool and all at maybe 100 yards for fun under no pressure, but that's not Dan at his absolute quickest. And did you see the various targets at different distances on the clock under pressure shooting against some of the best in the nation?
    8"/10"/24" from 493 yards to 881 yards on this stage... Not exactly comparable IMO.
    I should have added the smiley emoji as I didnt intend to say that Dan can’t shoot, I was just posting up a video of someone running a bolt gun with alacrity which seems to be a bit of a lost art in this country. You’re right though, the shooting environments in the two aren’t comparable.

Savage announces new straight pull rifles

Alright. Maybe I’m dumb, but I am skeptical that this type of “locking” mechanism can produce the accuracy and strength a bolt action is know for.

So with that in mind, if speed is of crucial importance and semi-auto is out for whatever reason, why not get a pump?

This is not my area if expertise, so educate me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Coyote41; 01-10-2021 at 12:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    Alright. Maybe I’m dumb, but I am skeptical that this type of “locking” mechanism can produce the accuracy and strength a bolt action is know for.

So with that in mind, if speed is of crucial importance and semi-auto is out for whatever reason, why not get a pump?

This is not my area if expertise, so educate me.

I really don’t think you have much to worry about. This is the same locking mechanism as the Heym straight pull rifle which has been in production since 1988.

It’s a variation on a theme of the mechanism used on the MG42 machine gun and the HK G3 and every other HK roller-delayed blowback gun ever produced (you basically have an internal wedge that forces locking lugs or delaying rollers into cut outs in the receiver) It’s a historically proven system of locking a rifle action that has been around since ww2

Last edited by Caballoflaco; 01-10-2021 at 01:53 PM.

Site Supporter
    Here’s one more video that gives a good explanation of roller locking in the first part.

When you think about it from a manufacturing perspective it actually makes a lot of since as Ian mentions in the first video. From a precision standpoint now all you have to do is drill precise holes on the bolt rather than machining away anything that isn’t a locking lug while trying to make sure the locking lugs will remain square with the receiver. Same for the receiver, rather than doing complex cuts trying to create a straight surface for bolt lug contact and the bolt lug pathways now all you have to do is drill precision indents into the locking surface.

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I should have added the smiley emoji as I didnt intend to say that Dan can’t shoot, I was just posting up a video of someone running a bolt gun with alacrity which seems to be a bit of a lost art in this country. You’re right though, the shooting environments in the two aren’t comparable.

Here's another video at 13:36 that shows his speed a little better, he's typically one of the faster guys overall in this sport and I bet he'd drill bill with that thing at long distance very fast. I'll probably make a video of him doing that when things get back to normal. There's a bunch of videos on youtube of Dan and other guys running bolts getting good hits at long distances very quickly.

CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

The new Savage rifles seem heavy. Something to do with the new action or barrel construction and contour?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List