Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage announces new straight pull rifles

Straight pull is very fast; this is a Blaser:

Another article.

The "Hog Hunter" would probably appeal to me most with the 18" barrel. But still over 8 lbs!

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...avage-impulse/

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57653
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Serious question (because I only own a regular Tikka T3X): is the only innovation here that this rifle is made in the US and can easily swapped from left to right hand use? Because there are a number of straight pull hunting rifles that have been on the European market for several years, so it's not really anything new!?
    A few that come to mind:
    - Blaser R8
    - Merkel RX Helix
    - Heym SR-30
    - Steel Action HS/HM

"Hog Hunter" with a factory 20 MOA scope base.
    How far away are them pigs, anyhow?

Not a straight pull, but a friend bought one of those Colt Sauers with the hinged locking lugs. Very smooth. But he got worried that they might not hinge out when they should and would not shoot it.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    Serious question (because I only own a regular Tikka T3X): is the only innovation here that this rifle is made in the US and can easily swapped from left to right hand use? Because there are a number of straight pull hunting rifles that have been on the European market for several years, so it's not really anything new!?
    A few that come to mind:
    - Blaser R8
    - Merkel RX Helix
    - Heym SR-30
    - Steel Action HS/HM
    Sure, straight pull action is nothing new -- but this news appeals to people who like the Savage brand.

[QUOTE=javemtr;1166162]Serious question (because I only own a regular Tikka T3X): is the only innovation here that this rifle is made in the US and can easily swapped from left to right hand use? Because there are a number of straight pull hunting rifles that have been on the European market for several years, so it's not really anything new!?
    A few that come to mind:
    - Blaser R8
    - Merkel RX Helix
    - Heym SR-30
    - Steel Action HS/HM[/QUOTE

It’s a LOT less expensive than the Euro straight pull rifles.

Time will tell how it bears out, but it does not sound bad.

I watched a different video on it.

.5 moa accuracy.

Typical Savage barrel system, which means the user can swap it at home for other calibers/cartridges.

The floating bolt head design, couple with the barrel nut means you can have a 6.5 Manbun, er I mean Creedmoor, and a .300 WSM, or 6.5 PRC if you were so inclined.

AI mags which are the gold standard.

All of these things are certainly stacking in the favor of the rifle. While I am not one to swap barrels frequently, just to change cartridges, being able to do so when a barrel is burned out is definitely a bonus for the savage with the barrel nut system. Not having to pay a smith and deal with typical gunsmith BS of "yeah that will take 4 to 6 weeks", then 6 months later it is still not done, is well worth it.

I look forward to hearing how these pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by javemtr View Post
    A few that come to mind:
    - Blaser R8
    - Merkel RX Helix
    - Heym SR-30
    - Steel Action HS/HM
    I always wanted a Strasser until I handled one and found out that the cam to change the bolt head can be lifted while the Bolt is in the rifle in the rearward position preventing you from closing the bolt. Who the hell designed that and thought it was acceptable.

Those are not accessible to about 99.5% of the market in the US. For a large majority of US hunters and shooters this savage will be the first time they see and handle one of these strange Euro guns.

With that being said the Impulse seems to build upon the previous guns.

Overall I have a soft spot for straight pull rifles and this one is very interesting. With the timing of it I can’t help but think this is Savage gearing up for a Biden Ban given straight pull rifles in Europe are largely popular due to the difficulty of getting a semi auto.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar

Bolt guns can be run pretty quickly as well :)

Check out Dan Bertocchini - 08:32

CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    This is very interesting. My experience with Savage rifles has been nothing but positive, including recent production stuff. A scout'ish rifle profile with this action would certainly tempt me.
    I have coworker who has multiple custom bolt guns north of $4-5K and has attended multiple classes at all the vetted LR/ELR places. He says if he were to ever look for a factory bolt rifle the search would stop and start at Savage.

Bill Rapier also has a lot of praise the products and the people behind the company.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List