Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H&R 999

Site Supporter
    A buddy has a 999. It's accurate enough, but the DA trigger is tough. SA is shootable and the gun feels well made and durable overall. I wouldn't turn one down for the right price.

Chris

I would consider a 199 SAO as a plinker.
    I once looked at a 777 Ultra Sportsman but it was getting bid up high for a plinker.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    The double action is manageable, and the single action is terrific.
    That is how I remember most of them. Even the cheaper H&Rs could have decent SA pulls.

(I used more of the "budget" H&Rs than I did the flagship top-breaks.)

There were probably at least four or five H&R .22 revolvers in use for every S&W or Colt in my neck of the woods, and until they wore loose or a spring broke they were loads of fun to pot at beer cans and shotgun hulls. Unfortunately, some of us young lads were not as careful with them as we should have been... a case of "familiarity breeding contempt" or some such thing.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

My son in law has his grand dad's 999. I'll have to put a few cylinders through it sometime soon.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I too grew up shooting a 999. My dad guesses its round count somewhere around 100k and it wasn't without a broken part or a few, which in those days were always repaired by a gunsmith who "Can't find the part, have to make one..." and get it back a year later. It's just a bit slow on timing now, I'd like to get it back up to 100% functionality. Ugly, goofy, super cool.

Definitely worth it. My dad had one that I got to shoot as a kid and I loved it. I picked one up in good shape for my kids as a plinker. It’s not a S&W for sure but it’s a hoot. It was made in the early 1950’s. The top break eject of 9 spent shells is a joy for kids of all ages. It still is on duty as a snake/toad gun and my son and I use it for playing range HORSE occasionally. Only problem is spitting which seems to be from a build up on forcing cone area. It gets nasty after a brick or so but doesn’t take long at all to clean it up.

I came across it at a LGS quite a few years ago and it was an immediate “need to have.” It came with what looks like a factory wood box lined with pleather and felt with a compartment for tools. Behind the felt, hand written in pencil on tbe wood is a woman or girl’s name, (unless it’s a boy named Sue),Los Angeles, Dad and a 1950’s date. It’s a keeper.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

User Tag List