Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R 999

H&R 999

When my grandfather died my dad got it. I was 12ish and I roamed the woods with it untill my folks split and I went to IL with my mom.

My dad and I are no longer on speaking terms so I cant ask for it but looking at gunbroker the prices seem reasonable unlike s&w 22s.

I loved shooting it but was not very good with it but cant blame the gun. That being said, are they decent? Iirc its not quite K frame size right? I still have 2 hks speed loaders which is what got me thinking.

a buddy would call them an entertainment value. H&R made good guns and one is absolutely worth buying. The lack of refinement and budget nature are a part of the fun. Those quirks help you set your serious streak aside and just let the inner child have a good time. Bumming the woods with one will be every bit the adventure it was before and your kids will get to do it soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    When my grandfather died my dad got it. I was 12ish and I roamed the woods with it untill my folks split and I went to IL with my mom.

My dad and I are no longer on speaking terms so I cant ask for it but looking at gunbroker the prices seem reasonable unlike s&w 22s.

I loved shooting it but was not very good with it but cant blame the gun. That being said, are they decent? Iirc its not quite K frame size right? I still have 2 hks speed loaders which is what got me thinking.
    Ha! First handgun I ever shot. Shaved lead and spit powder like a demon. Loved it!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    They were a neat and affordable woodswalking revolver as well as a decent utility .22. I used to borrow a well-taken-care-of one frequently, and it was a blast to plink with... good times.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Ha! First handgun I ever shot. Shaved lead and spit powder like a demon. Loved it!
    Also the first handgun I shot. It also spit lead and powder, and shooting sessions were often interrupted by the need to find the rear sight on the ground.

When my dad graduated engineering school after working his ass off in the oil fields in the summers to pay for it he bought a H&R 999, a Yamaha acoustic guitar and a Harley Sportster, after not being able to afford much more than beans and rice for four years. I think some times he had to choose between the beans and the rice.

It was the only firearm in our home for a long time.

They are known to go out of time.

They are still cool. I supposed I'll own his someday, but I'm not looking forward to it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Passed down from my aunt. The double action is manageable, and the single action is terrific. The adjustable sights are pretty slick, especially the front elevation screw.

Right target was 7yd single action, SHO with Russia's finest....
    Name:  20200804_170142.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  31.6 KB

7yd freestyle, 45 rds IIRC, and Russia's attempt at forming yak dung into a bullet like object.
    Name:  20200804_163729.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  30.2 KB

And the break action is just old school cool.
    Taking a break from social media.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I have drooled over the 999 since I was a boy. I have no knowledge to contribute other than to encourage you to get one so you can report back to us how great it is and then I can justify buying one as well!

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    ...Right target was 7yd single action, SHO with Russia's finest....
    Name:  20200804_170142.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  31.6 KB

7yd freestyle, 45 rds IIRC, and Russia's attempt at forming yak dung into a bullet like object.
    Name:  20200804_163729.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  30.2 KB
    Show the back of the box. Or is the usage intent on the side? And how many cases spit gas in your face?

Site Supporter
    The only handgun in my house for years when I was a child was my dad’s H&R 650. First gun I ever fired. I bought ny Ruger Single Six because of that gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    a buddy would call them an entertainment value. H&R made good guns and one is absolutely worth buying. The lack of refinement and budget nature are a part of the fun. Those quirks help you set your serious streak aside and just let the inner child have a good time. Bumming the woods with one will be every bit the adventure it was before and your kids will get to do it soon enough.
    Thats the plan. I have a single six but I have also found a need for a rimfire trainer

User Tag List