Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My kingdom for a Korth (or Manurhin)?

Quote Originally Posted by Pol View Post
    Np. I'm happy to have seen the video.

I have owned my Manurhins around 2 years, give and take. They use the same speedloaders as a K frame S&W. The frame is a little larger than a K, but closer to the K frame than the L. They look tiny compared to an L frame and a Python. I have not done any measurements, but I think the cylinder may be slightly larger than a K frame cylinder. You can use a K frame holster although best get one that will allow for a little stretch. L frame holsters are too big. The sights are good quality and sturdy, but all black.

If I had a gripe it would be the grips. I don't like them, but I also don't dislike them enough to bother changing them.
    If I remember right the cylinder width is almost dead center between a K and an L. I've seen the hard numbers in a review that showed the dimensions for a K, L, and MR73 side by side.

How are speed loader clearances? I've seen hints that they are tighter than a Smith K and may make some loaders more difficult to use.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    If I remember right the cylinder width is almost dead center between a K and an L. I've seen the hard numbers in a review that showed the dimensions for a K, L, and MR73 side by side.

How are speed loader clearances? I've seen hints that they are tighter than a Smith K and may make some loaders more difficult to use.
    The speedloaders I used are Safariland Comp II and the model number is "J-K2C". They work very well on the Manurhin and I didn't notice any binding. The bullets seated easily and the push release worked perfectly. On the speedloader packaging it says that these are for S&W K Frames, hence my assertion that the chamber offset sizes are the same. If they are different, it's very slight - small enough for the Comp IIs to work.

As I mentioned before, I did not take any measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by Michpatriot View Post
    Ill bite on this dream gun thread. I'd really like to someday be carrying a Sky Marshall. The redesigned Night hawk version checks all the boxes, they got rid of the picatinny rails and it even has a belt clip. No moon clip 9mm carry revolver...Yes I guess I'd better make it two. One is none you see?
    I did not intend this as a dream gun thread.

I’m looking for honest feedback on taking what I consider a next step in finding the best possible all-around DA revolver for me.

I won’t go though all the parameters except that a 4”, medium frame, adjustable-sighted .357 magnum checks a lot of my boxes. By “medium frame”, I mean along the lines of an L-frame or GP100.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I’m looking for honest feedback on taking what I consider a next step in finding the best possible all-around DA revolver for me.
    Any conversation about the "best revolver" should include Janz as well. Sit down before you look at the prices though. https://janzrevolver.com/in-us-stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Michpatriot View Post
    Ill bite on this dream gun thread. I'd really like to someday be carrying a Sky Marshall. The redesigned Night hawk version checks all the boxes, they got rid of the picatinny rails and it even has a belt clip. No moon clip 9mm carry revolver...Yes I guess I'd better make it two. One is none you see?
    Name:  F1EF2418-51A9-4F65-B9D3-3D9CD10AEAC6.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  100.9 KB

They’re pretty impressively made and sooooo smooth.
    It’s fun for the black sheep of the Korth family.

9mm does pretty decently out of short barrel revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pol View Post
    Any conversation about the "best revolver" should include Janz as well. Sit down before you look at the prices though. https://janzrevolver.com/in-us-stock.
    Five figures?!?!?!?!?! Ouch.

Pictures of current production MR73’s all seem to have partridge type front sights. Yours, I’m assuming the one in your picture is yours, looks like a ramp front. Was that a special order? What barrel lengths do you own? I’m partial to the 5 1/4” model.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post

Pictures of current production MR73’s all seem to have partridge type front sights. Yours, I’m assuming the one in your picture is yours, looks like a ramp front. Was that a special order? What barrel lengths do you own? I’m partial to the 5 1/4” model.
    My understanding is the Gendarmerie models get the ramp and more rounded rear sight while the Sport models get the Patridge and a more squared off rear. Kind of like the difference between a Combat Masterpiece with the Baughman ramp and the Target Masterpiece with the Patridge. I believe both style MR73's are still available. Different sights for different intended primary use.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post

4", 5 1/4" and 6". My 6" is a slab barrel. I bought the 5 1/4" new. I also preferred the 5 1/4" length. I wanted a partridge front sight but they only had ramped sights available.

The slab barrel I was told was a custom order and came like that from the factory, but I suspect it was done by the owner. I got it for next to nothing so no complaints - it's as accurate as the new model.

The 4" is a police surplus/beater which I have not quite decided what to do with. Lockup and functioning is still 100% even though I can see from the peening on the cylinder slots that is a very high mileage gun. Many tens of thousands of rounds I think. It has the best DA trigger of the bunch.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    I'm sorry gentleman but I just can't see $3K+ for a DA revolver that's going to be a shooter. For around $1K I can buy a pre-lock S&W and there are still a few excellent revolver smiths who can make it as slick as I want it to be if I'm willing to pay for it. I'll still be under the Krth/Manurhin's $3K.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I'm sorry gentleman but I just can't see $3K+ for a DA revolver that's going to be a shooter. For around $1K I can buy a pre-lock S&W and there are still a few excellent revolver smiths who can make it as slick as I want it to be if I'm willing to pay for it. I'll still be under the Krth/Manurhin's $3K.

Dave
    Yeah, to bring it full circle a Registered Magnum isn't going to help you turn in better stage times or FAST drills than a current production 627 that's been tuned.

I appreciate the finer things in life as much as the next guy. But for a tool, being able to fix problems that come from high mileage is important. Having a deadlined multi-thousand dollar pistol that can't be put back in service until European elves bring me a bespoke screw or spring inside the Ark of the Covenant is problematic. Having to take said spring or screw with the gun to some monk living on the highest mountain in Idaho because he's the only person in North America qualified to work on the thing is similarly problematic.

Korth has a relationship with Nighthawk. If they're providing gunsmithing and service then that's a huge win for picking a modern Korth over a modern Manurhin, even if the latter looks better. (But I don't know the degree to which Nighthawk is serving as a gunsmith vs just an importer so... who knows.)

User Tag List