Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My kingdom for a Korth (or Manurhin)?

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    There's at least two importers I'm aware of:

https://kebcollc.com/

https://jjperodeau.com/store/?model_...A03442-HA03034

They bring in small batches every few months. Prices are high. Very tempted by one but at that cost not sure I want to chance it.
    I was racking my brain trying to come up with who it was that imported them on armslist. Kebco. (Turns out it also wasn't armslist, but gunsinternational).

https://www.gunsinternational.com/kebco/-.cfm

$3200 is cheaper than the Nighthawk Korths by a fair bit.

I dry fired a Mongoose at SGC since they had one in the case. Very whelming. Not over, not under. Not for $4k.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I was racking my brain trying to come up with who it was that imported them on armslist. Kebco. (Turns out it also wasn't armslist, but gunsinternational).

https://www.gunsinternational.com/kebco/-.cfm

$3200 is cheaper than the Nighthawk Korths by a fair bit.

I dry fired a Mongoose at SGC since they had one in the case. Very whelming. Not over, not under. Not for $4k.

Dry firing a new gun like a Korth or Manurhin won't tell you much. They have very tight tolerances and tool steeled lockwork, which takes many many thousands of rounds to bed in.

It also takes a couple of trips to the range for a shooter to appreciate the way the trigger provides feedback. It's not something you're going to discern in the short time spent on a showroom floor. I now shoot tighter groups shooting my Manurhins in DA than what I do shooting other in single action, including my Freedom Arms revolvers. And I'm sure you're aware that Freedom Arms are very accurate revolvers.

I used to be a BIG Freedom Arms guy. Emphasis on "used to be". Now they collect dust in my safe.

For the record, I'm not particularly fond of France or French people! I'd have been very happy had Manurhin been manufactured by an American company.

Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post
    Does anyone here have any information about the difference, if any, between the Chapuis versus Manurhin manufactured MR-73s? I don’t think that there has been anything conclusive, but I have heard complaints about the Chapuis made ones being less durable than their predecessors.
    I’m curious about this as well. I’ve heard all the legend a lore about the MR73 as originally offered by Manurhin and some negative reviews of the Chapuis made units.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    I’m curious about this as well. I’ve heard all the legend a lore about the MR73 as originally offered by Manurhin and some negative reviews of the Chapuis made units.
    Can you perhaps provide the URLs to these negative reviews? I personally haven’t heard or seen any negative reviews. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pol View Post
    Can you perhaps provide the URLs to these negative reviews? I personally haven’t heard or seen any negative reviews. Thanks.
    @Pol Sure, this is what I was referring to. https://youtu.be/o0YP2iMvdCw

I’m not trolling you on this, I am truly curious about the MR73. It seems like it would provide a lifetime of service to anyone interested in owning one. That video took me back a little bit.

Banned
    @Pol Sure, this is what I was referring to. https://youtu.be/o0YP2iMvdCw

I’m not trolling you on this, I am truly curious about the MR73. It seems like it would provide a lifetime of service to anyone interested in owning one. That video took me back a little bit.
    I didn't say you were trolling. I hadn't seen this video before and I am also taken aback by the video.

I first suspected the cylinder stop spring gave out putting the revolver out of time, but around 2:11 in the clip you can see the stop standing proud. So clearly it wasn't that. The other culprit would be the hand spring. Given the hand itself was broken I couldn't see either way. However, when a hand spring fails, normally what happens is the cylinder stops turning altogether. (been there) His cylinder did turn.

Both the dealer and the independent gunsmith made mention that the gun could handle the load. They had the opportunity to take a good look at the gun, so I'm inclined to go with them and suspect the ammo. He claims his ammo couldn't have been overloaded because somebody other than he reloaded them, and that really doesn't make sense. Nobody is immune to making mistakes. I think the fault was with Bubba behind the reloading press. It's not difficult to put a double charge in a .357 case and not notice.

That guy is really lucky to still have two hands and ten fingers.
    Last edited by Pol; 01-06-2021 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pol View Post
    I didn't say you were trolling. I hadn't seen this video before and I am also taken aback by the video.

I first suspected the cylinder stop spring gave out putting the revolver out of time, but around 2:11 in the clip you can see the stop standing proud. So clearly it wasn't that. The other culprit would be the hand spring. Given the hand itself was broken I couldn't see either way. However, when a hand spring fails, what normally happens is the cylinder stops turning. (been there) His cylinder did turn.

Both the dealer and the independent gunsmith made mention that the gun could handle the load, and they had a good look at the gun, so I'm inclined to suspect the ammo. He claims his ammo couldn't have been overloaded because somebody other than he reloaded them, and that really doesn't make sense. Nobody is immune to making mistakes. I think the fault was with Bubba behind the reloading press. It's not difficult to put a double charge in a .357 case and not notice.

That guy is really lucky to still have two hands and ten fingers.
    No, you didn’t say that I was trolling. Considering the events of the day, I guess that I took your reply the wrong way. Your enthusiasm for the MR73 perhaps gave me that impression. In any event, I’m sorry to have implied that. My apologies.

Regarding the MR73.. I agree with you about the issue likely being ammo related.

How long have you owned yours? I’ve only seen pictures of the MR73, never one in person. How does it compare to a K and L frame in size? What speed loaders work with it?

Thanks in advance.

Make mine the Sky Marshall

Ill bite on this dream gun thread. I'd really like to someday be carrying a Sky Marshall. The redesigned Night hawk version checks all the boxes, they got rid of the picatinny rails and it even has a belt clip. No moon clip 9mm carry revolver...Yes I guess I'd better make it two. One is none you see?

Banned
    No, you didn’t say that I was trolling. Considering the events of the day, I guess that I took your reply the wrong way. Your enthusiasm for the MR73 perhaps gave me that impression. In any event, I’m sorry to have implied that. My apologies.

Regarding the MR73.. I agree with you about the issue likely being ammo related.

How long have you owned yours? I’ve only seen pictures of the MR73, never one in person. How does it compare to a K and L frame in size? What speed loaders work with it?

Thanks in advance.
    Np. I'm happy to have seen the video.

I have owned my Manurhins around 2 years, give and take. They use the same speedloaders as a K frame S&W. The frame is a little larger than a K, but closer to the K frame than the L. They look tiny compared to an L frame and a Python. I have not done any measurements, but I think the cylinder may be slightly larger than a K frame cylinder. You can use a K frame holster although best get one that will allow for a little stretch. L frame holsters are too big. The sights are good quality and sturdy, but all black.

If I had a gripe it would be the grips. I don't like them, but I also don't dislike them enough to bother changing them.

For what it’s worth, Wichita Gun Club has a 3” Korth Mongoose. They’re a Nighthawk dealer so it makes sense that they are selling Korth too. The link will take you to their post on 1911 Addicts.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List