Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My kingdom for a Korth (or Manurhin)?

My kingdom for a Korth (or Manurhin)?

OK, though it’s small, not my whole kingdom.

I’ve been on a decades-long quest for my “perfect” handgun, which I’m certain is a DA revolver.

Don’t ask me what that means, it’s one of those “I’ll know it when I find it” kind of things.

Along the way I’ve picked up all sorts of S&Ws, Rugers, Dan Wessons, and a Colt (which I didn’t like.) Some have been made pretty awesome with some work.

But the quest goes on (face it: what fun would life be if you actually found the holy grail?)

Except now, rather than accumulating more Fords & Chevys to customize , I’m thinking it might be time to just order the European race car.

A medium-frame, 4” .357 checks a lot of boxes for my ideal handgun. That’s probably why I’ve owned so many over the years.

Its doable, if I clean out the safe and resist “bargains” for the next few months.

What does the hive, in its collective and infinite wisdom, think?

I did it on the semi-auto side and couldn’t be happier. By the end of this year I’ll have 3 custom 1911s and nothing else (excluding revolvers). I would be lying if I said temptation hasn’t crept in especially when all the new hotness gets posted but when that happens I just buy ammo and shoot what I have.

Plus nowadays I can’t afford anything after I buy ammo.

I've never seen a Korth, but I've fired a Manurhin. It is as good as they say it is; much better than a tuned Smith. People say the Manufrance versions are better than the current Chapuis production, but I have no idea.

A good friend of mine sent me this picture. Roy Huntington did an article on a Korth Mongoose carry and then bought it. According my friend Roy loves it. I’ve seen one in captivity locally. If someone is willing to spend the money I think they’re pretty amazing revolvers.

Name:  87BF448C-6407-4A8A-8FEB-CCC4C4E38E38.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  64.8 KB
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    A good friend of mine sent me this picture. Roy Huntington did an article on a Korth Mongoose carry and then bought it. According my friend Roy loves it. I’ve seen one in captivity locally. If someone is willing to spend the money I think they’re pretty amazing revolvers.
    Name:  87BF448C-6407-4A8A-8FEB-CCC4C4E38E38.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  64.8 KB
    I got my wife the 4" Mongoose for her birthday.

And then got myself a 6" Super Sport.

My wife is tiny with small hands -- and the Mongoose and Kimber K6s have triggers she can actually fire double action.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    OK, though it’s small, not my whole kingdom.

I’ve been on a decades-long quest for my “perfect” handgun, which I’m certain is a DA revolver.

Don’t ask me what that means, it’s one of those “I’ll know it when I find it” kind of things.

Along the way I’ve picked up all sorts of S&Ws, Rugers, Dan Wessons, and a Colt (which I didn’t like.) Some have been made pretty awesome with some work.

But the quest goes on (face it: what fun would life be if you actually found the holy grail?)

Except now, rather than accumulating more Fords & Chevys to customize , I’m thinking it might be time to just order the European race car.

A medium-frame, 4” .357 checks a lot of boxes for my ideal handgun. That’s probably why I’ve owned so many over the years.

Its doable, if I clean out the safe and resist “bargains” for the next few months.

What does the hive, in its collective and infinite wisdom, think?
    Cannot speak for Korth, but I did buy a Manurhin. I then almost immediately bought two more and sold most of my S&W's. I'm keeping my "semi-collectable" S&W's, a few that have sentimental value, and my CCW guns. Other than that, they are of no value to me anymore. The Manurhin exceeds an S&W in every measurable parameter by a wide margin. I am simply not interested in shooting S&W's anymore. (ditto for my Pythons, Dan Wessons, Freedom Arms, Rugers etc.)

In short, if you can afford it, you owe it to yourself. YMMV, but to me it was a revelation.

Ps. I will be buying a Ratzeburg Korth (original Willie Korth design) in the future, as well as a couple more Manurhins. As many as I can afford.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Pol; 01-06-2021 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I've never seen a Korth, but I've fired a Manurhin. It is as good as they say it is; much better than a tuned Smith. People say the Manufrance versions are better than the current Chapuis production, but I have no idea.
    That is a problem with both guns; finding one to try.

Seems like when I researched it a while back, there was no U.S. importer for Chapuis.

Does anyone here have any information about the difference, if any, between the Chapuis versus Manurhin manufactured MR-73s? I don’t think that there has been anything conclusive, but I have heard complaints about the Chapuis made ones being less durable than their predecessors.

Quote Originally Posted by Pol View Post
    Cannot speak for Korth, but I did buy a Manurhin. I then almost immediately bought two more and sold most of my S&W's. I'm keeping my "semi-collectable" S&W's, a few that have sentimental value, and my CCW guns. Other than that, they are of no value to me anymore. The Manurhin exceeds an S&W in every measurable parameter by a wide margin. I am simply not interested in shooting S&W's anymore. (ditto for my Pythons, Dan Wessons, Freedom Arms, Rugers etc.)

In short, if you can afford it, you owe it to yourself. YMMV, but to me it was a revelation.

Ps. I will be buying a Ratzeburg Korth (original Willie Korth design) in the future, as well as a couple more Manurhins. As many as I can afford.
    Where do you find the Manurhins? Are they used?
    I didn’t think there was anyone importing them to the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Where do you find the Manurhins? Are they used?
    I didn’t think there was anyone importing them to the U.S.
    There's at least two importers I'm aware of:

https://kebcollc.com/

https://jjperodeau.com/store/?model_...A03442-HA03034

They bring in small batches every few months. Prices are high. Very tempted by one but at that cost not sure I want to chance it.

User Tag List