Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: My kingdom for a Korth (or Manurhin)?

It was mostly because I think the Korth is a better made revolver. I had two MR73 Both had a problem with end shake. It may have been in spec but was more than I was willing to put up with. Someone suggested a washer kit but really a revolver in that class should be perfect from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvia View Post
    It was mostly because I think the Korth is a better made revolver. I had two MR73 Both had a problem with end shake. It may have been in spec but was more than I was willing to put up with. Someone suggested a washer kit but really a revolver in that class should be perfect from the factory.
    Hmm, and I thought durability was its long suit.

It’s great to hear from so many knowledgeable folks. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Hmm, and I thought durability was its long suit.

It’s great to hear from so many knowledgeable folks. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    Don't get me wrong MR73 is a durable and very nice looking revolver. I just think the new Korth from Lollar is better made.

Banned
    While looking for the youtube video of the Australian with the ruined MR73, I stumbled upon this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZzusyfk4zU&t=142s I have no idea who the gentleman is who posted it, but he does seem very knowledgeable. Well worth watching.

So, trawling around the internet, I found a mention of a Chapuis MR73 revolver with proof load paperwork at something around 3900 bar, or about 56,500 psi. That’s a touch over 60% in excess of maximum pressure for .357mag. Standard proof loads for .357 are typically more like 45,000psi. I was wondering if the Mulhouse Manurhins also have proof pressure at this amount. It might be a data point in favor of the Chapuis guns being similar enough to the Mulhouse guns.

From other random internet chatter, it seems that the Mulhouse guns had an alloy from these folks: https://www.aubertduval.com/about-aubert-duval/

I have no idea if Chapuis allegedly not using whatever special alloy that was previously used means much if the proof pressure is the same, since at the end of the day, if it demonstrates similar mechanical properties, it doesn’t particularly matter if it’s exactly the same or not . Especially since as far as I know, no one who knows specifically what metals, forging processes, or other treatments were or are in used in either make of gun is talking about testable specifics here.

If anyone reading has any insight on this, or just a proof pressure certificate for a Mulhouse gun, I am all ears.

Site Supporter

Competitive Advantage?

Gentlemen -

I'm impressed by the technology you've graciously explained. Given the design and execution of these revolvers, I would expect them to dominate competitions. Is this happening? I'm truly not looking to stir up feces. I just honestly don't know how these revolvers perform in competition as such events are few and far between in these parts. Thanks. ELN

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Gentlemen -

I'm impressed by the technology you've graciously explained. Given the design and execution of these revolvers, I would expect them to dominate competitions. Is this happening? I'm truly not looking to stir up feces. I just honestly don't know how these revolvers perform in competition as such events are few and far between in these parts. Thanks. ELN
    I’d guess that initial cost and relative rarity keep them from seeing much competition, at least stateside.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuvia View Post
    I had two MR73 Both had a problem with end shake. It may have been in spec but was more than I was willing to put up with. Someone suggested a washer kit but really a revolver in that class should be perfect from the factory.
    Strange, I own three MR73s, one a well used surplus, and none have even a hint of end shake.

How do you like the Janz?

Strange, I own three MR73s, one a well used surplus, and none have even a hint of end shake.

How do you like the Janz?
    Im glad You are having success with Your MR73. They are very nice revolvers.

As far as the Janz I just got it and have only shot it once so far. I really cant think of any words to describe it other than superior to anything else.

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post
    So, trawling around the internet, I found a mention of a Chapuis MR73 revolver with proof load paperwork at something around 3900 bar, or about 56,500 psi. That’s a touch over 60% in excess of maximum pressure for .357mag. Standard proof loads for .357 are typically more like 45,000psi. I was wondering if the Mulhouse Manurhins also have proof pressure at this amount. It might be a data point in favor of the Chapuis guns being similar enough to the Mulhouse guns.

From other random internet chatter, it seems that the Mulhouse guns had an alloy from these folks: https://www.aubertduval.com/about-aubert-duval/

I have no idea if Chapuis allegedly not using whatever special alloy that was previously used means much if the proof pressure is the same, since at the end of the day, if it demonstrates similar mechanical properties, it doesn’t particularly matter if it’s exactly the same or not . Especially since as far as I know, no one who knows specifically what metals, forging processes, or other treatments were or are in used in either make of gun is talking about testable specifics here.

If anyone reading has any insight on this, or just a proof pressure certificate for a Mulhouse gun, I am all ears.
    Chapuis uses the same Aubert & Duval steel alloys in making the MR73, as were used by Manurhin. As seen below, French proof certificates make no mention of proof pressures.

Name:  MR73 B1745 Proof Certificate.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  58.2 KB
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

User Tag List