Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Avid tool?

Site Supporter

Real Avid tool?

Anyone use any of them? Thoughts on quality if so? Was looking at the AR15 master armorer set and 90pc screwdriver set.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Anyone use any of them? Thoughts on quality if so? Was looking at the AR15 master armored set and 90pc screwdriver set.
    I have no experience with "Real Avid" tools.

For the money, I feel confident stating there are better quality tool options available that have been proven by known, vetted folks.

Having attended the Colt M4/M16/AR15 and Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Courses twice each, suggest consider the following as a guide:

Will Larson's (RIP) tool list(s) are solid. The Colt course uses more or less the same tools (all the tools can be sourced from Brownells).
    http://www.semperparatusarms.com/ar1...e-information/

If you are not familiar with Larson, this article is an accurate review of who he was and the quality instruction he offered prior to his untimely passing.
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...morers-course/

Another list/source for quality tools is Specialized Armament Warehouse.
    http://www.specializedarmament.com/%...94-shop-tools/

Tagged for their input...

@Wayne Dobbs
    @SeriousStudent
    @ASH556

I’ve never heard of them. Just spent a few minutes on their website checking things out and everything I see is a “no” from me. Tools look cheaply made, poorly thought out from an ergonomic perspective, and are still pretty dang expensive.

I’ll agree with and echo @tango-papa to buy off Will’s list. At this point I have no idea how many guns I’ve assembled, disassembled (that’s the harder part), and fixed with my tools. I’ve broken one of my Grace roll pin punches and deformed two of my Starret drift punches to the point of replacing. All were replaced at no charge by the MFR. I cheated a little on my bit set and got a B-square one locally. It’s ok for most things. I’ve replaced the driver handle and 3 or 4 of the bits with Brownells Magna-tip as needed. I have a Geissele Reaction Rod and Super Reaction Rod. Like I told Bill when I asked him to make the Super, “You shouldn’t need that extra support, but sometimes you have to work behind others who don’t do things correctly, and still not break their gun.” I’ve used the Super about a dozen times and had good success with it when I needed it (also supported by heat and cold).

I guess my answer is: If you just want to assemble a couple guns for yourself, you can make most any tools work. If you’re doing it at a somewhat professional level with higher volumes and also working behind other people, stick to Will’s list.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Their multi tool looks interesting, iffy reviews though.

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Avid-Mul...dp/B01MY50OE7/
    #RESIST

I have and use this one and can vouch for it

https://multitaskertools.com/product...sker-series-3/
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    From the armorer training perspective, I've found that all the inclusive kits are overpriced, sometimes subpar quality and sell you stuff you don't need. I've always felt you should build your armorers tools based on your needs and nothing else. I still have tool lists that I put together for the Colt courses I taught and that worked well for most users. Buy what you need and what you'll use and don't buy gimmicks and don't buy cheap.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've had good luck modifying standard tools to make them work for specialized cases.

e.g., Brownells' $25 and Specialized Armament's $40 bolt catch pin punches. A standard punch out of a $7 set from Home Depot and five or ten minutes at a grinder, if your shop is set up with something like that, will get you an effectively equal result and leave you with two additional untouched punches for other stuff. Time has value, but I'm comfortable making that trade in some cases. (Another one is the flat-sided punch for the extractor roll pin on a modern classic Sig. No need to pay $30 or $40 for that.)

I agree with buy what you need and buy quality.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Their multi tool looks interesting, iffy reviews though.

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Avid-Mul...dp/B01MY50OE7/
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I have and use this one and can vouch for it

https://multitaskertools.com/product...sker-series-3/
    I have the Brownell’s version of those. It works well for the 10+ years I’ve had it. But the hood to pull the firing pin retainer has seen better days. Was looking for a replacement, but have got other tools that do the same... so just leave the little metal left on the hook for times where I really need it.

Real Avid makes some good stuff. I have their AR scraper, a similar AK scraper (seem to have been discontinued), Carbon BOSS, Smart Bench Block, and Master Bench Block (awesome for ejector removal). I have other AR tools from other companies, like takedown pin install tools, which I didn’t like Real Avid’s design.

If they made their Glock magazine takedown tools to work with the bases on the 33 rounders (+2)... I’d buy one of those, as well.

I bought this (https://www.amazon.com/Real-Avid-Gun...dp/B08563RFGS/) just to keep in the range bag. I would concur that it's somewhat substandard quality and you're probably better off with dedicated tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    From the armorer training perspective, I've found that all the inclusive kits are overpriced, sometimes subpar quality and sell you stuff you don't need. I've always felt you should build your armorers tools based on your needs and nothing else. I still have tool lists that I put together for the Colt courses I taught and that worked well for most users. Buy what you need and what you'll use and don't buy gimmicks and don't buy cheap.
    Agreed. I will offer an example. My son is an executive chef. He did not buy a knife set, but assembled a specific set of blades from different makers to do specific things. They are kept in a very high-quality case and sharpened by hand. He's got well over two grand worth of knives in there. And his reasoning is almost word for word what Wayne said.

I really like the Geissele tools, along with Starrett. I have a nifty little doodad from KNS that makes trigger and hammer installation a breeze, but don't see it on their website. I'm not a fan of their pins, but love this tool.

Do not cheap out on the punches or roll pin starters. Get a really good set, like Ash556 said.

I will go through my big rolling tool case this weekend and take some pics. Will and I talked a bunch about this. He also gave me the part numbers for McMaster-Carr for all the little pins, and you can do a bulk order. I will try and dig that out and post it this week. I also have some stuff saved in my Brownells wish list that I'll post.

I just got finished assembling a 6.5 Creedmoor AR for an antelope hunt next year. I cannot wait to get it to the range.

User Tag List