Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 Hollywood Love

Beretta 92 Hollywood Love

Over the Holidays I watched a “Lethal Weapon” movie with Mel Gibson and a “Die Hard” movie with Bruce Willis. Of course the Beretta 92 was right there as a main character. I’m sure the 30 year military history earned the pistol the spot. I never considered the Hollywood aspect in evaluating and choosing the 92 platform. But even my wife thought it was very cool that it showed up in 2 movies she was kind enough to watch with me. I told her that the Die Hard movies fall into the “Christmas Movie” series which she thought was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    I’m sure the 30 year military history earned the pistol the spot.
    The 92/M9 military history was only a few years when those movies were made. Not that stores had a lot of them at the time (they ran about $600 IIRC), but they were hard to find after one/both movies.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    One of the biggest reasons they were so popular is that they’re a lot easier to get to run with blanks than a browning style locking system.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The 92/M9 military history was only a few years when those movies were made. Not that stores had a lot of them at the time (they ran about $600 IIRC), but they were hard to find after one/both movies.
    Great point! I was not thinking. So why choose the 92? Was it because they shot blanks reliably? I was not aware some other pistols may not operate well with blanks. Seems like you would need to put in very light recoil spring to make it run. I’ve never thought about that.

Great point! I was not thinking. So why choose the 92? Was it because they shot blanks reliably? I was not aware some other pistols may not operate well with blanks. Seems like you would need to put in very light recoil spring to make it run. I’ve never thought about that.
    Fun fact: the same prop gun was used in both movies. For LW, the armorers wanted something that an LAPD detective would realistically be carrying. LAPD authorized the 92 for individual officer purchase in '86, so it stood to reason that someone like Riggs' character would opt for the most gun he could carry.

The anecdotal story about how the same gun ended up in Die Hard was they needed a "cop gun" for McClane, and the Beretta 92 from LW just happened to be the first one on the rack.

Site Supporter
    The first part of this video talks bout the process of converting guns to fire blanks and talks specifically about Berettas vs other guns.

Looks like they cut the wings off the locking lugs. And also thread the inside of the barrel to allow insertion of various plugs which is essentially a flow orifice that creates back-pressure to allow the action to blow back and control the powder burn rate. I had no idea the guns required this level of modification. I have seen blank ammo for sale? I assume they will fire in an unmodified pistol? Maybe the movie set requires specific powder burn (higher) for personnel safety reasons? Maybe the unmodified pistols would just not look realistic?

Site Supporter
    Looks like they cut the wings off the locking lugs. And also thread the inside of the barrel to allow insertion of various plugs which is essentially a flow orifice that creates back-pressure to allow the action to blow back and control the powder burn rate. I had no idea the guns required this level of modification. I have seen blank ammo for sale? I assume they will fire in an unmodified pistol? Maybe the movie set requires specific powder burn (higher) for personnel safety reasons? Maybe the unmodified pistols would just not look realistic?
    Blanks will go boom, but they won’t cycle the action.

I'd really like to have asked the man in the business about a couple of specific guns.

I have read
    1. "Gary Cooper depicts Alvin York with a Luger because it is easier to make it shoot blanks than a Colt."
    but
    2. "It is almost impossible to get a Luger to function on blanks and still look normal."

Related item
    3. "American soldiers are shown armed with Star pistols because it is easier to make them shoot blanks than a Colt."

Powder: The usual .30-06 blank with heavy crimp holding a red card wad used to be loaded with EC Blankfire powder. There have been some number of guns blown up because people thought they could use blank powder to shoot a bullet.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    It was the new, sexy thing.

User Tag List