Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 Hollywood Love

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Related item
    3. "American soldiers are shown armed with Star pistols because it is easier to make them shoot blanks than a Colt."
    This one I can speak to from working with a few productions - 45 ACP blanks are notoriously crappy, and getting 1911s in 45 ACP to work right with them is a huge pain in the ass. The old Star pistols in 9mm were a lot easier to get to run right with blanks, so they have stood in for many a "Colt 45" in movies.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    This one I can speak to from working with a few productions - 45 ACP blanks are notoriously crappy, and getting 1911s in 45 ACP to work right with them is a huge pain in the ass. The old Star pistols in 9mm were a lot easier to get to run right with blanks, so they have stood in for many a "Colt 45" in movies.
    Speaking of movie stand-ins, some actors couldn't work a Colt SAA fast, so various DA Colts were used for firing scenes. Some have an ejector rod housing added, some don't.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Yeah if you look closely many of Magnum's scenes have the Star in them.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    Yeah if you look closely many of Magnum's scenes have the Star in them.
    Likewise "Mr. 9mm Here" from Pulp Fiction.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Likewise "Mr. 9mm Here" from Pulp Fiction.
    Which I actually appreciate, because it was in fact a 9mm, thus technically correct, and that is the best kind of correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Speaking of movie stand-ins, some actors couldn't work a Colt SAA fast, so various DA Colts were used for firing scenes. Some have an ejector rod housing added, some don't.
    I had an old Gun Digest article on movie guns, mostly for Westerns.
    DA revolvers with dummy ejector rods were common. A deluxe job was a New Service with the grip frame altered to SAA "plow handle" so it would look right in the holster.

One strange example was 'Seminole.' Set in 1835, it armed Rock Hudson with a ca 1870 Colt Army cartridge conversion.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Kuffs, w Christian slater had a cool scene with them.

Which I actually appreciate, because it was in fact a 9mm, thus technically correct, and that is the best kind of correct.
    Right?

15-year-old me: THAT'S NOT A 9MM THAT'S A 1911!

40-year-old me: Ahh, a Star... I see you too are a man of taste.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

I have spent far to much time on imFdb in my life. But have learned a lot of cool stuff. Some of the info is from savvy movie goers, other info on the site is from the companies who provide the firearms.

Fun fact: the same prop gun was used in both movies. For LW, the armorers wanted something that an LAPD detective would realistically be carrying. LAPD authorized the 92 for individual officer purchase in '86, so it stood to reason that someone like Riggs' character would opt for the most gun he could carry.

The anecdotal story about how the same gun ended up in Die Hard was they needed a "cop gun" for McClane, and the Beretta 92 from LW just happened to be the first one on the rack.
    I had never heard this before. Very interesting

User Tag List