Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 870 mag extension recomendation

I have a (pretty sure) Scattergun +2 I have no use for and would do a friendly deal on. PM if you want to consider it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I have a (pretty sure) Scattergun +2 I have no use for and would do a friendly deal on. PM if you want to consider it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    PM sent

Site Supporter
    There is a big difference in balance and handiness between +1 and +2 extensions. I suggest spending a couple bucks more and buy a Wilson product having its owns spring and follower. This way compatibility is assured. I have had reliability problems with extensions on 870's though I think the brand and model are coincidental. In one instance the Choate follower dragged on the mag tube. In the other the spring hung up on the junction point between extension and tube. I prefer either a stainless steel follower or one from S&J Hardware. But I never had a problem with factory followers. Once I left an 870 with 2 shot extension loaded for 8 or 9 months without inspecting the gun. Spring pressure compressed some of the premium shells which then would not chamber. Extensions add a variable to shotguns, and I am convinced that they can negatively affect reliability. Hence, be careful with installation, don't stick an over strong or too long spring in there, and use a recommended follower.

Site Supporter

Scattergun Technologies

This company made the last tube I bought, a 1 shot for my 590a1. Top notch. They may make the Wilson tube offerings.

I’ve used a +3 Choate with their spring and factory follower for 25+ years in my 21” 870. It sat loaded here at Chateau Despair -1 for several years with 3” Remington 000 and 3” Brenneke slugs in the side saddle. Because every shoulder fired Claymore also needs to be able to destroy any wandering LAV? As I’ve grown older the load out has changed to reduced recoil 00 and simple Winchester Foster slugs. I’m still using the original spring, I just replaced the follower with a red aluminum one last month. So far it’s worked splendidly.

We also had four or five Choate extensions on guns at my department and they never gave any problems. We did get a batch of Express 870s with ghost ring sights and Remington two piece magazine extensions that were a concentrated fluster cluck. I have fond memories of the tubes detaching from the threaded collar and launching down range during qualifications.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    This company made the last tube I bought, a 1 shot for my 590a1. Top notch. They may make the Wilson tube offerings.
    Wilson bought Scattergun a bit over 20 years ago, they're the same company now.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I had a factory +2 on a used 870P that I bought. I replaced it with a Wilson +1. To me, the +2 adds enough weight to the end of the gun that I don't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    There is a big difference in balance and handiness between +1 and +2 extensions.
    I have a 21" barrel in my 870, and I switched from a Remington +3 extension to a Wilson/Scattergun +2 because I felt the +2 was much handier and more nimble than the Remington +3. Personal preferences, balance of bulk and capacity, and all that I suppose...

I haven't done much shotgun shooting for a couple of years now as my Shooting Buddy has had some health issues that limit use of heavy recoiling long guns, so we've been focusing more on other firearms, but that Wilson extension has worked rather well thus far.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I have a 21" barrel in my 870, and I switched from a Remington +3 extension to a Wilson/Scattergun +2 because I felt the +2 was much handier and more nimble than the Remington +3. :) Personal preferences, balance of bulk and capacity, and all that I suppose...

I haven't done much shotgun shooting for a couple of years now as my Shooting Buddy has had some health issues that limit use of heavy recoiling long guns, so we've been focusing more on other firearms, but that Wilson extension has worked rather well thus far.
    My preferences on such changed as I aged. 20 years ago I could pick up an 870 and extend it full length with one hand. Today I struggle when using two hands and a proper stance. I do notice the extra weight of a longer tube and extra shells. At this moment I have a 2 shot tube on my 870 but am using it as a 1 shot tube. This strategy reduces spring pressure within the magazine. That may not be necessary. My plan, if the shotgun is needed, is to chamber a round and add two shells. If haste is required, I would pick up a hot AR. I keep returning to the shotgun because of lifelong use and hence familiarity.

Premium tubes are sold with a wave washer which prevents unscrewing. S&J's website has images of these. About spring pressure. Once as an experiment with 870's I added long tube springs in standard length tubes. In every case the too powerful springs caused malfunction by forcing shells past shell latches. I have had this occur in new 870's when the latches were not fitted properly. Hence, my extra caution with extended tubes. I did no tests with Mossbergs, We must remember that when using sporting shotguns for defense, we can encounter reliability issues.

Site Supporter
    A silly thing, but does anybody make one with something like polished blue finish? I am rehab-ing an old SO trade-in 870 Wingmaster with slug barrel and would kind of like to match the original finish if possible. It is going to be my office gun, and will be indoors so I am not worried about reflections nor weatherproofing.

User Tag List