Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 870 mag extension recomendation

870 mag extension recomendation

Any recomendations for a good magazine extension for an 870? Don't need anything fancy, just simple and reliable. It there a reliable one piece out there? I have a 18.5" barrel so I'm thinking +2 is in order.

Site Supporter
    I have extensions from Vang and Wilson. Both are quality products that do what they are supposed to do.

I'll second the Wilson Combat. I have the +1 and +2 extensions on different guns, both work great.

Site Supporter
    I bought a Wilson Combat +2 a few years ago on sale.

I don't have many rounds through it but I've been pleased with it so far.

I have the +1 from wilson/scattergun. I like the high vis follower and the lighter weight especially paired with the surefire forend which is fairly heavy.

I can attest to the Choate being totally fine. I've probably had it coming up on 15 years now. However the clamping bracket with the sling mount wants to come loose, so I'd recommend loc-tite.
    My 870 was one of the ones that required drilling out the "dimples" from the OEM mag tube, and that went OK with a bit of elbow grease.

Site Supporter
    I had a factory +2 on a used 870P that I bought. I replaced it with a Wilson +1. To me, the +2 adds enough weight to the end of the gun that I don't like it. I bought a second Wilson +1 to put on my other 870P. Sadly, I don't have enough round through either to really testify as to function.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

You won't go wrong with either Vang or Wilson/Scattergun. +2 will get you additional capacity at the expense of extra weight out at the muzzle. A +1 tube leaves the gun a bit lighter and handier. Which is better? Depends on what you want.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    I can attest to the Choate being totally fine.
    Back when it was Remington factory or Choate, I had them on a couple of guns and had no problems. I still have one on an 1100 that's in my safe.

I had an SGT (Wilson) on my 870P and ran a lot of rounds through it. The lack of a barrel clamp concerned me at first, but it help up through 3-gun matches and training.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Any recomendations for a good magazine extension for an 870? Don't need anything fancy, just simple and reliable. It there a reliable one piece out there? I have a 18.5" barrel so I'm thinking +2 is in order.
    I might be the outlier, but I returned to the relatively heavy Remington factory +2 with its characteristic rolled indent and associated clamp/sling swivel assembly. I was not happy with the aftermarket +2 extensions unless they had an aftermarket clamp added, and not all extension/clamp combinations actually clamped well. The factory +2 setup was a known quantity and I have learned to live with it.

But on the +1 extensions, I had very good luck with the Wilson/Scattergun ones that I tried (after about 2001). If you want to keep things slick and simple, the Wilson +1 with the QD swivel stud in the center of the end is pretty neat. The Vang +1 is nicely thought out and versatile (and well made). I am not a big fan of any magazine extensions having a "plate," but if you can keep them from snagging/fouling on the case or the sling, I guess they are okay.

Somewhat related, I found the S&J Hardware delrin followers to be my favorites of the lot, and gave away or tossed out most of the others.

"For lagniappe," I returned to the Wilson/Scattergun oversize 870 safety after trying the competition and finding that they bugged my forefinger. YMMV.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List