Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 870 mag extension recomendation

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    A silly thing, but does anybody make one with something like polished blue finish? I am rehab-ing an old SO trade-in 870 Wingmaster with slug barrel and would kind of like to match the original finish if possible. It is going to be my office gun, and will be indoors so I am not worried about reflections nor weatherproofing.
    Remington factory extensions were available in polished blue (as well as matte and parkerized); two and three shot.

You can look at online retailers but I haven't seen those commonly available in a couple years. Best bet is probably eBay.

More involved option, if it means that much to you, would be to find a currently available extension from any maker and confirm it's carbon steel, and pay to have someone polish and blue it to match you Wingmaster. Probably more trouble than it's worth, but it's an option if you can't find a new old stock or used factory extension.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

I’m a big fan of the Vang 1 shot extension, although they make a 2-shot version as well. Comes with a new spring and follower. I’ve had mine for a few years now and it’s been on my gun through both 00Haught and Shotgun 360 classes with no issues whatsoever. Lives on my house gun. It’s one piece and the sling mount is pretty slick if you choose to use it.

Site Supporter
    The Remington factory extension is a two piece affair that came with a clamp. Two pieces add to complexity. I suggest buying one of Wilson's offerings.

Had the Remington factory +2 with clamp at work. I didn't care for the 2 piece of the tube itself. The tube itself seemed to come off easy, but the nut portion was just a hassle-nothing to hang onto and needing a tool if it was overly cranked on. It was heavy, too. The clamp was also a hassle to put back on-very fiddley.

I've personally owned a +2 Scattergun and +1 Wilson (same product/company). I attended a Rob Haught shotgun course hosted by 10 8 in 2007 with the +2. I decided to try the +1 for weight at the muzzle and there is a difference that I could actually just barely feel. I also really like the one piece aspect of these products. It's easy to remove by hand.

I also decided that I wanted to protect the threads on my 870. I read somewhere that a non reinforced (no clamp) extension puts your threads (of the magazine tube) that the extension screws onto at risk and that if it gets tweaked, it's a REAL game stopper for your 870. I remember reading that the magazine tube is relatively soft metal and somewhat vulnerable. I didn't research this further, it just struck me as plausible enough worth it to protect those threads, because those +2 extensions are hanging out there a bit. I didn't really want the weight of a clamp, so between the Surefire light fore end I have and the barrel, I feel that that gives the minimally extended +1 tube decent protection.

Get the Vang Comp or Wilson. I wound up taking the Remington extension off.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I have found that the Wilson and Vang Comp extensions do a really good job of staying tight even when you run the shotgun really hard. The magazine tube/mag cap loosening up is one of the major causes of a number of maladies on the 870 so having one that tightens down and stays tight should be a high priority.

Truth be told those two extensions are probably more durable than the factory magazine tube itself.
    3/15/2016

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrtsqrt11 View Post
    I read somewhere that a non reinforced (no clamp) extension puts your threads (of the magazine tube) that the extension screws onto at risk and that if it gets tweaked, it's a REAL game stopper for your 870. I remember reading that the magazine tube is relatively soft metal and somewhat vulnerable. I didn't research this further, it just struck me as plausible enough worth it to protect those threads, because those +2 extensions are hanging out there a bit.
    I would never run a factory extension without the clamp. Besides ensuring the extension doesn't act like a brush/trash collector* or inadvertently act as a lever on those mag tube threads, it is extra insurance that neither the the mag tube nut or the extension loosens. Aftermarket +2 and +3 extensions also benefit similarly from a clamp to a greater or lesser degree, but in either case, takedown will require another step or two because of it. You pays your money and takes your choice.

I like the Wilson (ex-Scattergun Technologies) +1 extensions and ran them on an 870 for some time with no clamp and no problems whatsoever. I still have a couple of them in the Drawer of Yesterday's Shotgun Parts.

*Murphy's Law dictates that a thicket, stand of rushes, etc will manage to put something irritating between the barrel and the extension; the clamp doesn't prevent it totally, but it does limit the amount and reduces the distance you need to back off and/or pull out. Without the clamp, it can be like having a pronged flash hider or a tuning fork on the end of the gun.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I would never run a factory extension without the clamp. Besides ensuring the extension doesn't act like a brush/trash collector* or inadvertently act as a lever on those mag tube threads, it is extra insurance that neither the the mag tube nut or the extension loosens. Aftermarket +2 and +3 extensions also benefit similarly from a clamp to a greater or lesser degree, but in either case, takedown will require another step or two because of it. You pays your money and takes your choice.

I like the Wilson (ex-Scattergun Technologies) +1 extensions and ran them on an 870 for some time with no clamp and no problems whatsoever. I still have a couple of them in the Drawer of Yesterday's Shotgun Parts.

*Murphy's Law dictates that a thicket, stand of rushes, etc will manage to put something irritating between the barrel and the extension; the clamp doesn't prevent it totally, but it does limit the amount and reduces the distance you need to back off and/or pull out. Without the clamp, it can be like having a pronged flash hider or a tuning fork on the end of the gun.
    True, your thoughts have merit on a duty shotgun and would be worth the weight. My 870's role is for home defense and training. I feel that for my needs, a clamp is just more than I need. Further I don't take my 870 out in the field which would be for hunting. I have another shotgun for that role

User Tag List