Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI - Trail/Game Cameras

Site Supporter

RFI - Trail/Game Cameras

I'm considering getting a game camera or two for the house. I have a blink system and a couple of the cameras have caught some interesting, to me, wildlife wandering through (coyote, fox, skunks, deer; that kind of thing - nothing very exciting except that I live in a pretty dense, essentially suburban. neighborhood so it's fun to see what comes through here). I could get a couple of add-on cameras for the blink system but I'd like something that has a little more range and captures somewhat better images. I want to be able to review footage on the phone or computer and since this isn't interesting enough for me to pay for a plan I don't already have, I assume it has to be wifi rather than cellular. I've poked around a little and skimmed a few reviews. I'll continue to look and can select something on that basis, but I thought I'd ask here and see if anybody has a recommendation for a system they know about. Thanks in advance.

I am not familiar with any Wi-Fi specific cameras, can't say they are not out there.

For a long time the two big cellular camera companies were Cuddeback and spypoint.

With Cuddeback , you have to purchase a rather large primary camera and a plan that goes with it. You can then add up to 12 secondary cameras and it would all stay on the same plan without any increase in fees.

I have found them personally to not have great battery life.

Spypoint is truly a remote camera system. You can control the camera settings and such by the app on your phone. Cannot do that with Cuddeback. However, you have to purchase a separate plan for each spypoint camera that you have. However, it should be noted there is a free plan for them which limits you to I believe 100 pictures a month per camera.

The cameras will keep taking pictures beyond that but just won't transmit them to your phone.

More lately more and more companies have gotten into the game. A lot of people have talked about the tacticam reveal series and I've heard nothing but great things about them. I was going to buy one but have not been able to find any in stock at any place.

With all of that being said, you do have to ask if you really need one that would transmit something to your phone. If your cameras are going to be near your house he really wouldn't be a big deal to go pull the SD card out and look at the pictures directly on your computer. The big advantage to the cellular type cameras are allowing you to stay out of the woods and keep your hunting area free from Human sent as much as possible. If just looking at regular cameras Browning makes excellent models.

Site Supporter
    I have a Stealthcam and have been very pleased with it. It uses Verizon and transmits to my phone twice daily (assuming its captured anything new). All features are controlable from the app on my phone. Picture/video quality is good. Some days better than others, likely weather dependent. Its been on my hunting property two states away and running 24/7 since June of last year with no issues and with one change of the lithium batteries (preventatively as there was still plenty of life left but I wasn't not gonna change them while there). My plan costs about $5 per month. In addition to keeping tabs on the comings and goings of wildlife and any potential trespassers, the kids have really enjoyed seeing pictures of the deer, turkeys, bears and cubs, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, raccoons, and other wildlife its captured. I can also easily share photos and videos with family, friends, and hunting buddies via the app.

I'm looking to pick up another couple this spring.

Site Supporter
    Thanks. I appreciate the info and things to consider.

Site Supporter
    My wife wanted one to get pics of the wildlife coming through our backyard. We used to have one but the ir illumination stopped working and it didn't have Wi-Fi. Seems to be that most trailcameras concentrate on cellular connectivity and Wi-Fi is an afterthought. I bought her a ctronics trail camera with Wi-Fi off amazon for Christmas. So far it's working ok - pics and video seem fine and can be downloaded to our phones via an app, but the wifi is definately a little wonky and doesn't have great range. I can see about putting up some pics or video if you're interested.

Site Supporter
    Thanks! It looks like there are some images up on amazon from purchasers, so I think I'm good there. Do you have a rough sense of the range for the wifi? I appreciate it.

Site Supporter
    Played with it a bit yesterday. Walking around the back yard I'd say I went 70' from the camera without issue. Didn't try going any further or going out front to test it going through structures.

Part of my issues may be impatience; you turn on the Wi-Fi using a remote control and it takes time to come. I also think cold may be a factor as well as we have had more issues on "cold" mornings, upper 20s to low 30s for Austin...

The app is wonky, but hopefully they will continue to work on it. It often freezes up after downloading a picture and I have to restart the app

Site Supporter
    Thanks very much. I appreciate your doing that and the update.

Not a game cam per se, but we have a Netgear Arlo system. Takes CR123 batteries, uses wi-fi, service is free, and you can download the videos you want to keep locally. The configuration options are pretty granular in terms of motion detection sensitivity, whether to take pics or video, how long of a video to take, whether to trigger camera B to record when camera A detects motion, etc., so I've been pretty happy with it.

"Normal" 3 volt RCR123s get drained super fast by the cameras, but the higher-voltage ones (IIRC they're 3.7v) specifically listed as being for the Arlo cams last months between charges, even in the camera we have mounted outdoors in MN winter. The system we have is only 720p, but it at least has an IR illuminator, so stuff running by in the dark gets picked up - we've seen quite a few bunnies checking out our potted plants, and even an opossum strolling by once this fall. (Suburban, but right off of a major highway.) They do make higher resolution versions if you need that, but of course they're more expensive.

Site Supporter
    Thanks. I have a blink system that's pretty similar, though it sounds like the arlo system is more configurable. That's what's gotten me interested in a game camera-type option. My thought is that for some of the smaller animals that wander through, range and picture quality might be a little better.

User Tag List