Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on third party Glock Mags, PMags, Magpul, etc.

Site Supporter

Update on third party Glock Mags, PMags, Magpul, etc.

I'm getting back into the competition game. Being a lazy sort, I like to load up enough mags for a match. So I would need a few 10 round Glock 4th Gen 17 mags. I read the old threads and some were positive and some mixed. I'm interested in current views as Pmags and Magpuls are much cheaper than factory. I have a good number of factory 10 rounders. Stuck with NYS limits.

Thought and thanks.

Though I have no experience with any Magpul 10 rounders, I have several 17, 21, and one 12 rounder, and all of them function 100%, across a range of several pistols with brass and nickel plated.

Intermittent malfunctions with steel case, due apparently to friction between the steel cases and mag bodies.

This experience would lead me to believe their 10 rounders would work well too.

Best bet: buy one or two, run them in the intended gun with intended load and see.

I bought 2 KCI G17 mags and tried them in my G34.5.

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...rod119030.aspx

Not recommended. From my training journal 11/16:

On the KCI mags: I bought two, and I think they were responsible for the only issues I had on the day: Twice, on slide lock, I went to chamber a round, and the slide basically just stopped with a klunk, and did not forward. I was like WTF. I've never had this happen to me with a Glock. The second time it happened I pulled the mag and it was one of the KCI.

Empty, they appear to have as much "bounce" in the follower as stock. I dunno. Maybe the spring on the KCI mags is not quite identical to OEM? Maybe if so, it's not quite pressing up on the follower with as much oomph as stock? And thus not allowing the round to slide in the chamber?

Take away is that even at $10, I'm kind of suspicious of using them; maybe for range use but I don't think I will order anymore for like matches. I certainly would not carry either of these two mags. It was worth $20 to do the experiment, though, but from now on I'll just order Glock OEM mags and be done with it.

I returned both to Brownell’s for a full refund.

Site Supporter
    I have 10 10 round Magpul’s. They really do not like steel cases in my experience.

I have had a lot more luck with the Magpul 10 rounds vs the oem. 2 of the 10 rounders are range only due to failure to lock the slide back on empty. Out of my 6 oem 10 rounds 4 of them I won’t carry. I should get the updated follow that’s been mentioned before to see if that solves the issue.

Would a plugged magazine be legal in your jurisdiction?
    Standard magazine + Magblock would be worth a look.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I have three 15 round Magpul I have beat the hell out of. I like them just as much, if not more than, the OEM Glock mags. The polymer is a bit harder and slicker so they always drop free easily.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Would a plugged magazine be legal in your jurisdiction?
    Standard magazine + Magblock would be worth a look.
    Since I couldn't bring standard mags into the state, it's not an option. The legality of such, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
    I have three 15 round Magpul I have beat the hell out of. I like them just as much, if not more than, the OEM Glock mags. The polymer is a bit harder and slicker so they always drop free easily.
    I was using ETS and Magpul mags along with OEM Glock Mags for action pistol. I quit tumbling my loaded rounds and noticed that the ETS and Magpul both seemed a little sluggish feeding the second round (had a couple FTF's during practice. I attributed that to the one-shot case lube remaining on the cases because I hadn't had that problem before and do not have it with new ammo (brass).

FWIW

The OP raises a very fair question-who manufactures a viable, reliable 10 round magazine for Glock full- and comact-size frames? Hopefully, it'll be a moot question for most of us, but obviously it's a key thing for those already in magazine capacity restricted states. SIdebar thought: It would have been nice if Glock themselves had sorted this out, but obviously they haven't, and to date apparently lack sufficient economic motivation to do so. Their breathing a sigh of relief in 2004 really hasn't resolved the issues with 10 round magazines, and unfortunately they may be raising our concern in the forseeable future.

Personally, I prefer my Glock platforms even if faced with using them in a capacity-restricted environment, so reliable magazines are crucial for Glocks to be a viable continuing choice.

From another standpoint, if there are reliable 10 round magazines for Glocks, I'd be interested in using them in IDPA, and saving my Glock magazines from the wear and tear.

Best, Jon

I have a batch of 10rd magpul mags in the mix as range mags. They work as well as the magpul standard capacity with brass cases, steel cases can be wonky.

Here's a 2018 thread on topic- https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ound-magazines
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List