Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The second round of CMP 1911 sales is beginning

Site Supporter
    I kinda want one. Then I think I could get a new Colt government which has the same aesthetic but is... more “functionally relevant”?

But it’s still not the same. I never applied on the last round. Might do it this time. I guess I can always pass if I’m not in the market at the time.

Site Supporter
    I have no desire for a CMP 1911...I shot them as a young Staff Sergeant and they were okay, no more. I do, however, have a hankering for an 03A3. I might have to look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Old warhorses go to pasture. Old guns go to display.

If I get one I'll shoot it very sparingly. Otherwise it'll probably be on display. I have Berettas for carry and a Dan Wesson 1911 to goof with if I feel the need. The history is the value for me.
    Rock on!!!

I am fortunate/unfortunate enough to have my passed away Grandfather's Remington Rand. Came home from WWII with him. That specific gun, is well taken care of and no changes will be made.

It is funny how we all view the same things differently. When my Grandfather passed, my Dad took ownership of the gun. He ran that gun as one would any other tool. We were at a shooting event, in the pouring rain and mud. There it was with him. Guys milling about were getting antsy as here was a WWII Remington Rand being shot hard, in extremely wet/muddy conditions. He just shot it like someone who was shooting a few year old Glock would. Yes, it was cleaned afterwards but no different than the 1911 I was carrying. The only reason it became a backup gun was due to the sights and my Dad's eyes aging. Hence the introduction of a Ruger 1911 for primary activity.

There would be, "better" ways to get a duty 1911 than going the CMP route. The CMP route though is the only one that gets you a legit US Military 1911, with all that history attached to it, and the ability to be able to continue that service story through your own carrying of it on the job, as a civilian, etc.

If you want a somewhat verifiable, somewhat genuine piece of history, the CMP route is a good route to go, and the 1911s don't seem to be unreasonably priced for what they are. Of course, in most cases, you're probably getting an accumulation of several guns' history, as these guns in most cases seem to be a cornocopia of mixmaster components (both vintage and newer) due to unit and arsenal rebuilds. They're authentic, but not necessarily what you might want in a 1911 with a provinenance.

For a 1911A1 to be carried and shot, I strongly recommend a more current Colt Series 70 Reproduction, with it's far superior steels, more thorough-hardening, and better (i.e., actually usable...) sights. For an exemplar of an earlier 1911, the Colt 1911 WW 1 Repros would be a good way to go. For actual shooting, these Repros offer a much superior gun in my opinion.

Best, Jon

I am going to get in on this round for sure. A buddy in my unit got his and I checked it out a couple weeks ago. Very nice for sure!

Site Supporter
    If I get one, it will be entirely, 100% due to nostalgia. One of my grandfathers was a young WWII infantry officer in Europe who crossed the beach at Normandy a couple of days after D-Day carrying a 1911. He was in the Battle of the Bulge. He was wounded in action twice, and got a Bronze Star for taking out a tank after being wounded the first time.

If I get one, it is to hang up and remember the old man, who was once a tough young man.

He’d probably just shake his head at me for getting it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I have no desire for a CMP 1911...I shot them as a young Staff Sergeant and they were okay, no more. I do, however, have a hankering for an 03A3. I might have to look into this.
    CMP is kind of a quaint operation when it comes to sales, behind in technology, which makes the process maddeningly cumbersome, but the upside is all the folks I met were great. Think Chick-fil-a, except slow and selling rifles.

Pretty sure the only way you are going to get an '03 anything is to visit the store, or through the mail, they don't accept online or phone orders. Plus, the don't offer the '03's online as they do Garands.

I bought my 03A1 Scant Stock at the CMP South store, in Anniston, AL. The have a store at the Talladega shooting park, my understanding from my trip there was that the Talladega store was for in person sales only. The CMP North store is at Camp Perry. Here's a link:

https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/cmp-stores/

Good luck.

Has anyone else who sent in a packet received their randomly generated number?

I have a couple of questions for those who may have been involved in the first one, or, who have information:

1) How many 1911's were available during the last go round?

2) Do the randomly generated numbers start at 0000001 and go up from there?

3) When will the Biden Administration find out about this and try to shut it down? (kinding on that one, I hope)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Yeah, I got mine this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post

I have a couple of questions for those who may have been involved in the first one, or, who have information:

1) How many 1911's were available during the last go round?

2) Do the randomly generated numbers start at 0000001 and go up from there?

3) When will the Biden Administration find out about this and try to shut it down? (kinding on that one, I hope)

Thanks!
    I have a 1911 A1 from the 1st lottery. They started the lottery numbers at around 1400 and went to around 18600. That would make 17-18K available in the 1st lottery. The 1st shipment was supposed to be 8K so I think they got several shipments in the first round, maybe 2018 and 2019. Looks like the 2nd round numbers are starting around 22000 but there isn't a lot of info posted on that one yet. They're pretty tight lipped about how many are available. I asked politely in May 2020 when I got mine and all they would say is we have plenty. I think they finally ran out in Dec. 2020. I got this info here. http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110

I've seen some from the 1st lottery sold on GB in the $1700 range.

I think congress and the Sec of the Army has to approve the transfer each year. Obviously they did that last year or CMP wouldn't be having round 2.

It took me 17 months to get mine after I got a lottery number. I wasn't sure I wanted one but sent the application in anyway. It didn't cost anything. I had a standing offer to buy it if I didn't want it so there wasn't any downside. I got a nice RR with a Colt slide so I kept it. Never shot it and probably won't.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-06-2021 at 07:09 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List