Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The second round of CMP 1911 sales is beginning

Site Supporter
    I want one. I don’t know how badly, but I do want one. And I may decide to make it happen this time around, but there will have to be holes in my safe to fund it.

That makes me less excited about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I want one. I don’t know how badly, but I do want one. And I may decide to make it happen this time around, but there will have to be holes in my safe to fund it.

That makes me less excited about it.
    They make new safes everyday I'm told.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I got one on the last go around and very pleased with what I got. An Ithaca frame, Remington slide, and Colt barrel.

Don't worry about condition. The CMP guarantees that the pistol will be in the grade they classify it in. Over the years, I have bought 3 M1s and one 1911 from CMP and never dissappointed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    They make new safes everyday I'm told.
    Funding is the problem, not room.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Funding is the problem, not room.
    I believe that Trump will be sending you a check soon that should cover it.

As for sights and the desire to modify the gun - I already have a 1911 that I could chase that rabbit down the hole with, I’m wanting a crude sighted 80% pistol that I can throw in my Tanker Holster, shoot hardball with, and wonder if it was once carried by a Sherman commander facing down a Panther.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 01-03-2021 at 10:04 PM.

These warhorses are just that, warhorses. They were used over decades. Buy one, make it your own and use it everyday. Sitting behind glass isn't for these sidearms!!! If I were to buy one, I would have it looked over, put on modern sights and get it done in a color I like. Then in the holster and off to work it would go.

I finally got mine, my number was 15,512 so a lot of people must have backed out. The gun has been reparked, I've shot it and it's a good pistol. Mainly a keepsake but will shoot it a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    These warhorses are just that, warhorses. They were used over decades. Buy one, make it your own and use it everyday. Sitting behind glass isn't for these sidearms!!! If I were to buy one, I would have it looked over, put on modern sights and get it done in a color I like. Then in the holster and off to work it would go.
    Old warhorses go to pasture. Old guns go to display.

If I get one I'll shoot it very sparingly. Otherwise it'll probably be on display. I have Berettas for carry and a Dan Wesson 1911 to goof with if I feel the need. The history is the value for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    I'd think it would make more sense to buy a similarly equipped (sights and color) modern 1911 and go from there. You'd probably be out less overall:

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition but is functional. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Granted, these are out of stock, but here you go on pricing:

$1079.00 - Colt - Wiley Clapp TALO special - https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...2.cfm/ID/92061

$799.00 - Springfield Range Officer - https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...2.cfm/ID/92061

If I was buying one it would be to shoot once or twice, then store/display. (Sending a packet in for one.)

I have a 1903 (CMP rifle) and Garand (private sale), as well as another Garand I built during a CMP armorer course (sold as a CMP Special). I've shot all three to sight in, and in the case of the 1903 to see how it did at 600 - hit paper is about all it would do. Other than the CMP Special, which I shoot semi-regularly, I doubt that I'll shoot either the other Garand or the 1903 again.

I have been torn on the CMP 1911 and finally decided to pass. Unlike a CMP M1 Garand where the only real source of reasonably priced rifles came from the DCM/CMP, there are lots of 1911 pistols out there. I have many in my safes, from a Colt reproduction of a WWI Colt to full-house customs. So I already have a gambit of shooters. As such, the only reasons for me to buy a CMP 1911 would be for my collection or to have a connection to the GIs who used these pistols. For me, the WW1 repro fits both the collection and connection. So I decided to leave the CMP 1911 for someone who really wants one.

User Tag List