Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The second round of CMP 1911 sales is beginning

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Well it was delivered to the FFL a week ago but I wasn't able to pick it up until today because the FFL took his sweet time getting into the office. Apparently he's working minimal hours because of COVID or something. Anyways, here's my gun, a service grade Ithaca(?) frame with a Remington Rand slide. It's about what I expected.
    Attachment 72208

I now own a grand total of one semi-automatic centerfire handgun that's not a Glock 9mm.
    That's a nice one. Worth more than you paid on the open market. Guaranteed.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I went and shot my 1911 today and my aim was pretty bad, mostly due to the fact that the gun has tiny iron sights and my eyesight isn't what it was 5 years ago. I seriously could not see the front sight at all the majority of the time, so it was mainly point shooting. Point shooting should've worked better than it did, except the 1911 has a weird grip angle compared to the Glocks I normally shoot, so point shooting didn't quite result with rounds on target where I wanted them. Oh well, it was bought to be a safe queen more than anything else.

Got mine yesterday, Ithaca slide and frame. Rebuilt by RIA, frame stamped FJA (Ithaca inspector), according to SN built in 1943.

Only mar/mark on it aside from wear on the edges of the slide, was a light gouge where folks had drug the slide stop while installing it. I understand this is common, still, I just don't understand how the average joe couldn't figure out how to do it w/o scratching the frame.

Field striped and cleaned, it wasn't really dirty, installed a new 18lb SpringCo recoil spring, lubed it with EWL, going to shoot tomorrow. Then I'll probably clean it and put it away.

Edited - added info about provenence.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 06-09-2021 at 10:15 PM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    except the 1911 has a weird grip angle compared to the Glocks I normally shoot
    Heresy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Got mine yesterday, Ithaca slide and frame. Rebuilt by RIA, frame stamped FJA (Ithaca inspector), according to SN built in 1943.

Only mar/mark on it aside from wear on the edges of the slide, was a light gouge where folks had drug the slide stop while installing it. I understand this is common, still, I just don't understand how the average joe couldn't figure out how to do it w/o scratching the frame.

Field striped and cleaned, it wasn't really dirty, installed a new 18lb SpringCo recoil spring, lubed it with EWL, going to shoot tomorrow. Then I'll probably clean it and put it away.

Edited - added info about provenence.
    Nice. You're lucky the slide and frame match. I know it may not be the original slide but it's still a plus. I think about 90% of the rebuilds have mismatched slide and frames. Mine's a Colt slide on a RR frame.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    When were the last 1911s taken out of any kind of mainline service?

I’m not talking about special mission units (SF, Delta, Recon, etc), but about regular military, National Guard, etc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

I’m not talking about special mission units (SF, Delta, Recon, etc), but about regular military, National Guard, etc.
    I was in Afghanistan in '03-'04 and saw one guy carrying one in a tanker holster. He was probably a reservist in a unit at the far end of the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

My brother in law carried a 1911 in 06-07 iirc in Afghanistan. Active duty Marine SS

Received mine today. Field grade, Ithaca frame from 1945 with Colt slide. Mag appears to be new. Obligatory crappy cell phone pics:

User Tag List