Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The second round of CMP 1911 sales is beginning

I got a RGN for the 2nd round too. I started shooting SS in USPSA right when they created the division, used to shoot nationals all the time when it was in Barry. I am a big 1911 fan.

I have a garand and some other WW2 and WW1 stuff so I have always wanted to pick up a USGI 1911.

What turned me off was the thought of paying 3-5K and the potential for getting ripped off.

Really for the price of the service grade I figure it's a bargain. I'd probably buy something nicer and spend more otherwise, and either way it would just be a safe queen, so I'm happy to spend less. Dream scenario for me would be a matching frame and slide, don't care who made it, don't care about the rest of the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Looks like the 2nd round numbers are starting around 22000 but there isn't a lot of info posted on that one yet.

I think congress and the Sec of the Army has to approve the transfer each year. Obviously they did that last year or CMP wouldn't be having round 2.

It took me 17 months to get mine after I got a lottery number. I wasn't sure I wanted one but sent the application in anyway. It didn't cost anything. I had a standing offer to buy it if I didn't want it so there wasn't any downside. I got a nice RR with a Colt slide so I kept it. Never shot it and probably won't.
    Thanks for the info. If they started at 22,000 for the numbers, if they have about 10 available I should get one. I'm sure that given the opportunity I'll buy one, simply to have. Like you, I probably won't shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Thanks for the info. If they started at 22,000 for the numbers, if they have about 10 available I should get one. I'm sure that given the opportunity I'll buy one, simply to have. Like you, I probably won't shoot it.
    I think it's a crap shoot on what you get. Someone I know got one with a bar code on it. Whatever it is, you won't loose any money if you decide to sell it. Tip, if you want a 1911 ask for a field grade. If you want an A1 ask for service grade. The field grades have generally not been refinished or re-parkerized. I've seen some really nice ones. The Service grades have generally been A1's and re-parkerized. I wanted an A1 and that's what I got.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-06-2021 at 10:11 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

If they started at 22,000 for the numbers, if they have about 10 available I should get one.
    They started lower than that. My RGN is 21xxx, and I've seen other people posting elsewhere with 20xxx numbers.

CMP called me today. The lady was very helpful, I was tempted to ask a bunch of questions just because she was so pleasant.

In a nut shell. the only two grades available wre RACK and FIELD:

Field Grade $950.
    Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Rack Grade $850.
    Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition but is functional. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

I took field grade. I doubt this will be shot very much, I have a couple other 1911's.

I know many feel these aren't worth the price, but, I'm willing to pay that price for a piece of Americana.

As an indicator of where they are, my random number was 2200*

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    CMP called me today. The lady was very helpful, I was tempted to ask a bunch of questions just because she was so pleasant.

Field Grade $950.
    Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Rack Grade $850.
    Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition but is functional. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

I took field grade. I doubt this will be shot very much, I have a couple other 1911's.

I know many feel these aren't worth the price, but, I'm willing to pay that price for a piece of Americana.

As an indicator of where they are, my random number was 2200*
    Congratulations. Sadly I got busy with life and missed the boat. While I would have liked to be in on this the fact that their releases options were limited makes me feel a little better……

I got called on Friday, and my gun shipped out today. Should be able to get it from my FFL tomorrow.

I got the option for all three grades when I got called, and got a service grade. I have to wonder if they just happened to run out of service grades soon after I made my order, or if it's just the luck of the draw as to what's available when they call. i.e., do they open up a crate of 1911's and whatever grades are in that crate is what they have to sell until that crate is completely sold, and then they open another one? Or are they totally out of service grades for round 2? It seems pretty early in round 2 for them to permanently run out of service grades.

Also for what it's worth, my RGN was 217xx, but my order number was 199xx. RGNs are people who express an interest in buying, and orders are people who actually bought, so it appears that about 9% of people submit a packet but when they're actually called they don't end up ordering a 1911 for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    I got called on Friday, and my gun shipped out today. Should be able to get it from my FFL tomorrow.
    Well it was delivered to the FFL a week ago but I wasn't able to pick it up until today because the FFL took his sweet time getting into the office. Apparently he's working minimal hours because of COVID or something. Anyways, here's my gun, a service grade Ithaca(?) frame with a Remington Rand slide. It's about what I expected.
    Name:  20210601_141023.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  101.4 KB

I now own a grand total of one semi-automatic centerfire handgun that's not a Glock 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Well it was delivered to the FFL a week ago but I wasn't able to pick it up until today because the FFL took his sweet time getting into the office. Apparently he's working minimal hours because of COVID or something. Anyways, here's my gun, a service grade Ithaca(?) frame with a Remington Rand slide. It's about what I expected.
    Name:  20210601_141023.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  101.4 KB

I now own a grand total of one semi-automatic centerfire handgun that's not a Glock 9mm.
    I wonder what stories it could tell.......

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell 41 View Post
    I wonder what stories it could tell.......
    I'm pretty sure Audie Murphy used it to kill Hitler.

User Tag List