Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The second round of CMP 1911 sales is beginning

The second round of CMP 1911 sales is beginning

If you missed the first round of CMP 1911 sales that started in 2018 (like I did), you can now submit an order form for the second round of sales. The order forms have to be postmarked between January 4 and March 4, 2021.

https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/1911-information/

I have mine already. I was on the fence when they called because it was about 16 months from application to offer. I purchased and thought if it doesn't please me I can sell it. My dealer said if I didn't want it he would buy it and cover my cost. After I looked at it I decided to keep it. He was disappointed. The one I received was a service grade with a fresh repark and taken out of service at that time. Colt slide and RR frame. Slide to frame fit was very good, actually better than my Gold Cup Trophy. I've never shot it but may in the future. If you want one with the carried-in-combat look ask for a field grade.

I know, I'll be banned from future sales if the CMP finds out I sold it, but that's a rule I can live with. The CMP is a great org and worthy of our support.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-03-2021 at 03:30 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Thanks!

I have always wanted to get a GI 1911 and kicked myself bloody after seeing my the BEAUTIFUL example my buddy got from the CMP.

Every time this topic comes up, I think it sounds cool and then balk at the pricing, especially given that there's no way to inspect before you buy. The idea of spending $850-1050 plus shipping & FFL fee and potentially getting a gun in nasty shape which may or may not even run is pretty offputting for me. I'm sure most of the guns are fine, but it's still playing the lottery to some degree.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Every time this topic comes up, I think it sounds cool and then balk at the pricing, especially given that there's no way to inspect before you buy. The idea of spending $850-1050 plus shipping & FFL fee and potentially getting a gun in nasty shape which may or may not even run is pretty offputting for me. I'm sure most of the guns are fine, but it's still playing the lottery to some degree.
    True, but where else are you going to get a military 1911 for under 1K?

I’ve been pretty close to pulling the trigger on AutoOrdinance “GI” 1911s before just for the “look”.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Probably nowhere.

It's just hard for me to justify, since it's filed under "that would be neat to have" rather than "need" in my brain. Then there's the fact that if I had one, I'd want to actually use it, which would mean buying a holster, mag pouches, etc., and getting set up to load .45 (I've never owned a 1911 or any gun in .45, so I have none of those things)...and deciding whether to commit sacrilege by replacing the GI sights with something more usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post

I’ve been pretty close to pulling the trigger on AutoOrdinance “GI” 1911s before just for the “look”.
    About the only ones I know of are maybe an Argentine Colt which the military and police used from the 30's to the 60's. Those have increased in price substantially lately so they may not be the <1K 1911 they once were, IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Probably nowhere.

It's just hard for me to justify, since it's filed under "that would be neat to have" rather than "need" in my brain. Then there's the fact that if I had one, I'd want to actually use it, which would mean buying a holster, mag pouches, etc., and getting set up to load .45 (I've never owned a 1911 or any gun in .45, so I have none of those things)...and deciding whether to commit sacrilege by replacing the GI sights with something more usable.
    They aren't shooters. No lowered ejection port and the sights suck. It's also been reported that the slides weren't hardened so prone to cracking with a lot of use.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with mine. A relative is working on a history PhD (now there's another way to spend your money foolishly) and wants to shoot it. His main interests revolve around WW2 and he's shot my carbine already. Should be fun for at least one day at the range and maybe worth credit in anything he publishes. I'll be immortalized. I've already told him I'm not buying a Garand but he knows another relative that has one.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-03-2021 at 05:36 PM.

I really want one. It would be great to set next to my USGI M17. Eventually I want a Garand as well.

I really can't justify the cost though. Especially when I don't have a 1301 that I think would be a more essential gun for social work.

I was issued a Remington Rand 1911 in the Army when I became a MG, (we had shiny new Berettas in the armory but they were never issued out). I had to shake the dirt out of it from being on the M60 range prior to pistol qual. I didn't have any issues with it, qualified no problem and no malfunctions. I would really like a Remington Rand 1911.

User Tag List