View Poll Results: What are your marksmanship and gun handling goals for 2021?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing.

0 0%
  • Maintain current level of proficiency.

8 15.09%
  • Achieve a higher performance level in USPSA.

8 15.09%
  • Achieve a higher performance level in other competitive shooting sport.

3 5.66%
  • Attain a higher performance level on published defensive drills.

18 33.96%
  • Improve specific parts of my marksmanship and gun handling without specific end goals as listed above.

16 30.19%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are your 2021 marksmanship and gun handling goals?

What are your 2021 marksmanship and gun handling goals?

This thread is inspiring!

My training goals for the USPSA off-season are more of what I worked hard on last year. I need to squeeze the last drops out of these:

1. Transitions: faster and critically damped
    2. Charlies: shoot fewer unnecessary C’s.
    3. Stance: low, wide, and balanced
    4. Tension: only where/when needed (wrists, grip, explosive movement).

Big goal: HAVE FUN! No one pays me to compete, so I want to make the most of this awesome sport.

Defensive shooting goals: keep working with my friends and mentors to further develop my ability to fight with a gun. Also: more MUC / verbal Judo and combatives to reduce the chances I will have to.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I'm going to have to rehab my strong side shoulder in a couple weeks, after surgery. I'm going to try to use this forced opportunity to learn to shoot my J-frames, and Glocks better, "weak hand"... I'll also, maybe be learning to shoot a RMR'd Glock the same way. If that proves to be too much of a stretch, and I'm just burning ammo, I'll stick with the iron sighted guns. I will not say I'm a pro weak hand, but I've done okay when I've practiced it before. Working out my weak hand grip is probably the first thing I need to work on. It just feels wrong, even if it looks right. I'll be doing some dry fire to help.

If I get my shoulder tuned up, and the RMR'd Glock running well, I may try to break into a sub 5 second FAST next summer.

This year are our selection matches for the national teams for the IPSC Shotgun World Shoot. So that's my primary focus for the year. Missed the last one by one place so I'm particularly hungry

We are selecting the PCC teams as well which is a secondary and more stretch goal.

Obviously pistol stuff both defensive and gaming won't be allowed to stagnate but growth will likely slow, which I can live with as long as it occurs.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Smoother and more efficient draws from duty and concealment with tons of dry fire.

If ammo ever comes back I’ll focus on support hand only plus more 50 yard bullseye.

Plus drills like Supertest, hat qual, etc.
    I've been dry firing almost daily since last Spring. Rarely have I kept that up so consistently. WFH sure does help!

I'm just re-starting reloading and based on my legacy stash of components, it will be a .45 1911 and .38 revolver 2021. It will be interesting to see how the Glock proficiency holds up (all my G's are 9mm).
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

B level in USPSA/Steel Challenge
    Expert in IDPA.

I was moving towards this goal when everything went kerfluey with Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Goal: sub 7-second FAST (advanced) w/LCR. May not sound like much, but anyone who has shot both a FAST and an LCR may well bet against me. It’ll be fun trying, and I’ve got a stash of .38 ammo, so...

(There should be a time add for using a wheelie, IMHO. Anyone who can do the drill in under 6 is absolutely expert level. I know that @jetfire did it at one point. 8 seconds would be pretty damn advanced with a snub. My .02)
    That would be pretty rad. I managed to get me shooting a 5.64 clean on video: https://youtu.be/ssSECLRAli4?t=215 - that's with IDPA style concealment, a 10mm GP100 using .40 S&W rounds in TK Custom clippy bois

My shooting goal is to be able to keep up with my wife.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Competition:
    1. Focus training towards improving performance (accuracy) on time-limited (disappearing) targets.
    (This is the area where I get crushed in major IDPA matches)
    2. Place in the top 50% of SSP MA shooters in a major match.

Duty (will switch to a Gen 5 Glock 19 for work sometime this year):
    1. Shoot an IDPA 5x5 classifier to EX level within 90 days of issue.
    2. Shoot a sub- 7.5” clean FAST in duty gear within 180 days.
    3. Carry and compete with Glock 19 exclusively for at least 180 days, beginning after the last major IDPA match of 2021.

General:
    1. Bring my youngest son to shoot in at least 6 more matches this year.
    (He got a taste at yesterday’s local match and loved it. Will take him to another in two weeks to fully “set the hook”.)

Same as they ever were.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    That would be pretty rad. I managed to get me shooting a 5.64 clean on video: https://youtu.be/ssSECLRAli4?t=215 - that's with IDPA style concealment, a 10mm GP100 using .40 S&W rounds in TK Custom clippy bois
    How is the Miculek style of reloading coming along? (ie shifting gun to offhand for right hand to reload) Saw you mention checking that out on FB.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List