Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not steady aim, grip is good but arms are not stable enough

Not steady aim, grip is good but arms are not stable enough

I sometimes have a not steady aim and have the feeling that my arms are the problem for the movement and not the grip. What can I do about that?

Depends on how committed you are to improving.

Like any other physical endeavor, you have to build up the proper muscles and coordination.

Have you tried writing your name with your non-dominant hand?

Just because you want something to be coordinated, sometimes the muscles and nerves have to train.

True story, I went for a massage a couple years back and the experienced masseuse was so curious why my right forearm was so much more muscular than my left. I had all kinds of amusing answers in my head but I told her about my shooting hobby.

Since then, I’ve worked more on weak handed shooting so it’s a little more even, haha.

But if you’re not a rock climber, use a weighted gun or something similar and practice dry fire in your house.

Problems are hard to diagnose on the internet.

Can you post a picture of a target you've shot recently, with info on the gun, distance, and ammo you used?

Say 10 rounds on an NRA B-8 target at 10 yards, would be ideal. If that's not doable, 5 rounds on a 5" circle at 5 yards would also be of interest. I am horrible at shooting but have found the more I work on Trigger Control, the more accurate I am.

A couple of things I picked up way back when I first started shooting pistols. 1- In slow fire working for accuracy shooting there is a timeline for wobble from when you first raise the pistol to align the sights. These numbers are not absolutes and definitely vary person to person. 0- a few seconds = wobble tapers off to your best minimal amount. From that few seconds point, for the next 10-15 seconds = your best minimum wobble time. From then on, wobble increases. So, if I am trying for maximum accuracy slow fire, I often shoot 3-4 rounds while in that 10-15 seconds, relax to an easy ready position for a bit, push the pistol out and shoot another 3-4 rounds. 2- Pistol wobble never stops, it just decreases w/ experience. So never try to time your shot for that point where the sights cross the bullseye. Aim as well as you can and pull the trigger. As your experience increases, your wobble decreases, and your groups will get smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by petergently View Post
    I sometimes have a not steady aim and have the feeling that my arms are the problem for the movement and not the grip. What can I do about that?
    We are all built differently, so, what affects me, and what helps me, will probably differ from your situation. In my case, my extended arms tremble, if my elbows are straight. My elbows actually lock, in a hyper-extended position, and tremble even worse, when locked. These things are true, independent of there being any weight in my hand or hands, and are true whether my hands are together, or not.

My solution was, and still is, to find the sweet spots, one-handed and two-handed, where my unlocked elbows trembled least. Your solution may be different than mine.

Personal coaching is recommended.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Glock 19 Gen 4

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Problems are hard to diagnose on the internet.

Can you post a picture of a target you've shot recently, with info on the gun, distance, and ammo you used?

Say 10 rounds on an NRA B-8 target at 10 yards, would be ideal. If that's not doable, 5 rounds on a 5" circle at 5 yards would also be of interest. I am horrible at shooting but have found the more I work on Trigger Control, the more accurate I am.
    Actually, the vertical moving is happening before shooting. The movement is not much but still it is. I want to reduce that. Any suggestions? Maybe some excersize for that?

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    A couple of things I picked up way back when I first started shooting pistols. 1- In slow fire working for accuracy shooting there is a timeline for wobble from when you first raise the pistol to align the sights. These numbers are not absolutes and definitely vary person to person. 0- a few seconds = wobble tapers off to your best minimal amount. From that few seconds point, for the next 10-15 seconds = your best minimum wobble time. From then on, wobble increases. So, if I am trying for maximum accuracy slow fire, I often shoot 3-4 rounds while in that 10-15 seconds, relax to an easy ready position for a bit, push the pistol out and shoot another 3-4 rounds. 2- Pistol wobble never stops, it just decreases w/ experience. So never try to time your shot for that point where the sights cross the bullseye. Aim as well as you can and pull the trigger. As your experience increases, your wobble decreases, and your groups will get smaller.
    Thanks for the remarks. Just want to practise but if I can concentrate on something to improve that is always good.

Actually, the vertical moving is happening before shooting. The movement is not much but still it is. I want to reduce that. Any suggestions? Maybe some excersize for that?
    Is the vertical movement happening if you just hold the gun on target, or only when you begin to start the trigger press?

Some like the ball and dummy drill. Have someone load one or more mags with a few snap caps. When you shoot, choose a mag at random. Take a sight picture, and press the trigger linearly with steadily increasing pressure. When you hear a ‘click’, pay attention to the sights. If you can recognize what’s happening, you can start to solve the problem - adapt to the gun going off by not moving.

If you are susceptible to “milking” the grip, your trigger finger may move sympathetically with your hand. If you are readjusting your grip after each shot, stop. Achieve a good firing grip. (I grip hard AF. This will also help isolate your trigger finger.) Don’t adjust your hand. Fire two or more shots, getting three or more sight pictures. Practice this. If you are extremely tired after a couple magazines, you are on the right track.

Others like the ‘wall drill’. Stand facing a blank white wall. Extend your hands and place your focus on just the front sight. As you press the trigger, think about a smooth press and the front sight, and nothing else. Repeat.

A corollary drill is the ‘dime’ drill. Set up as normal in your Dry Practice Area. Extend your pistol, and place (or have a helper place) a dime on the front sight. Press the trigger normally. Try and be smooth, so the dime does not fall off. Do this several times.

Any or all of these may help, but at some point you do need to deal with a small explosion going off 2’ from your face. Good ear pro and doubling up with plugs will help also.

Do you think any of this will help?

Here's another drill I really like doing, load one round, remove mag, press the shot, then one more. Really shows up poor form on trigger finger after only two or three iterations.

User Tag List