Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: suggestions for focus on front sight

No I don't. I grabbed the 4 colors of tubes I had and taped them together side by side (oooo) w/ black tape so I could also make them all the same effective length and handed them to my wife. Said hold them up so you see just the ends and tell me which is brightest to you. BTW maybe it's just the Dawsons we have bought for Beretta 92s, but they use .040" tubes. The other common size tubes is .060". So I carefully drill the sight to 1/16" (.062") and then use the larger tubes for an even brighter dot.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    No I don't. I grabbed the 4 colors of tubes I had and taped them together side by side (oooo) w/ black tape so I could also make them all the same effective length and handed them to my wife. Said hold them up so you see just the ends and tell me which is brightest to you. BTW maybe it's just the Dawsons we have bought for Beretta 92s, but they use .040" tubes. The other common size tubes is .060". So I carefully drill the sight to 1/16" (.062") and then use the larger tubes for an even brighter dot.
    Very interesting, thanks. I just measured the Dawson FO front I received, and both spare rods were 0.042" in diameter. So that must be common for Dawson, at least for these two.

In the package, there's one spare red, but the other is a kind of lime greeny color (I'm not sure, I'm a bit color blind). The red is very bright, since generally I'm outdoors in the FL sun for my game gun. I do shoot once in a while at a local range which features very dark enclosed shooting bays for each stage. Fortunately we're moving in the spring, and I should be at a different venue going forward.

The side by side comparison is a very good idea, I'll have to give that a go and see whether I can tell any difference between them.

I have a very strong preference for green FO. I can see red just fine, but it looks much more blurry than green to my eyes--especially when I'm focusing on the target.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

The side by side comparison is a very good idea, I'll have to give that a go and see whether I can tell any difference between them.
    I just rubber-banded both spare Dawson FO rods to a square wood peg, on top of a short length of black Gorilla (Duct) tape, against a BS PS scaled USPSA target.

Name:  IMG_8147.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  30.0 KB

The picture is pretty interesting. I don't perceive it like it shows, which is green seems brighter and the red washed out. What I see is the red being much brighter, overall, than the green (and it's green apparently, my wife confirmed).

So I took this simulated "slide" and walked around my apartment just now. In all cases and backgrounds, the red stands out more than the green, "for me". So, very interesting experiment, at least it confirms that i seem to prefer red over green, so I'll use the red spare in the event my current one ever breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by petergently View Post
    I wonder if anyone has an advice on how to more easily focus on the front sight?
    Have young eyes thinks the bitter old man who can no longer focus on a front sight.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Of all the sights I've tried, the Novaks with the brass bead on my Colt 1911 seem to draw my eye the best.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I just rubber-banded both spare Dawson FO rods to a square wood peg, on top of a short length of black Gorilla (Duct) tape, against a BS PS scaled USPSA target.

Name:  IMG_8147.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  30.0 KB

The picture is pretty interesting. I don't perceive it like it shows, which is green seems brighter and the red washed out. What I see is the red being much brighter, overall, than the green (and it's green apparently, my wife confirmed).

So I took this simulated "slide" and walked around my apartment just now. In all cases and backgrounds, the red stands out more than the green, "for me". So, very interesting experiment, at least it confirms that i seem to prefer red over green, so I'll use the red spare in the event my current one ever breaks.
    Excellent test. Now you know what to use for you. When you are outside almost any color FO is better than any other type of a dot but testing to find the best color for your eyes gives you the best of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Excellent test. Now you know what to use for you. When you are outside almost any color FO is better than any other type of a dot but testing to find the best color for your eyes gives you the best of the best.
    Yep.

And another data point: I showed this setup to my wife, who said "I see the green as very crisp, but the red is blurry." Not making this up, that is what she said. Of course, she's not color blind, so I may be on to something here.

Hey Rich,

Try taking some double-sided tape and sticking the different colors of fiber on either side of a standard black front sight (or if your front sight is already FO, just tape on the contrasting color). That should give you as realistic as possible idea of the differences in how the red vs green is perceived. Although you might want to make sure that approximately the same lengths of fiber are exposed to the incoming light as well; makes a big difference.

I recently listened to Tim Herron on the Gunjitsu podcast episode 6 and I'd recommend it to everyone, but it seemed especially pertinent to this thread.

I want to say it's about at the halfway point that Tim decides to share some information that he's previously only given out to paying students in his classes. In brief: front sight focus has been over emphasized, misunderstood and incorrectly applied, much to the shooting community's detriment and everyone can improve their shooting by learning to properly use their rear sight, too. I can't possibly do justice to all of the points he made, well worth the time to hear it from him.

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts...e-f9wuLt3rY87/

User Tag List