Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It’s not “Terminator” scary......yet

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Every single robot movie in which they succeed or try to take over the world seems to be based on the premise that the all powerful AI we put on charge of all the robots has decided that we suck. Maybe we should avoid creating an AI that we place in charge of all the robots.
    Why worry about bag guy AIs that might be in charge in the future when you can worry about bad guy humans that are in charge right now?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Every single robot movie in which they succeed or try to take over the world seems to be based on the premise that the all powerful AI we put on charge of all the robots has decided that we suck. Maybe we should avoid creating an AI that we place in charge of all the robots.
    It’s too late, if humans know of a technology that can be weaponized they will. Just like freaky genetic engineering the cat’s out of the bag and people are already working on it. At some point in the future we’ll be sharing the planet with genetically engineered superhumans and really really smart computers and hybrids there of. Do some reading on the trans humanist movement.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    See, this is why I'm always nice to SIRI.

Just in case.
    Well, I'm hosed.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    Don't worry about robots. Worry about what people will program the robots to do.

Then worry about robots.
    As with all electronics, they can be good for a while, but when they go haywire....
    ED-209 springs to mind.
    And of course, You're fired, for the programmers.

Student
    I find public footage of these robots a lot less frightening than leaked footage of Google employees having a meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    It’s too late, if humans know of a technology that can be weaponized they will. Just like freaky genetic engineering the cat’s out of the bag and people are already working on it. At some point in the future we’ll be sharing the planet with genetically engineered superhumans and really really smart computers and hybrids there of. Do some reading on the trans humanist movement.
    I was reading Extropy in the early 90s. It's where I first read about a little thing called hypertext transfer protocol....

I am less positive about superhumanity than I was in the 90s. Evolution still seems to have humanity beat on reliability and durability in design.

Plus, I can't imagine how you experiment with genetic manipulation on humans to produce superior traits in an ethical manner. Even the Chinese seem to be highly adverse to human germline engineering. It seems to be anathema to almost all human societies.

Brain/machine interfaces will probably be the focus until space colonization allows groups who want to explore genetic manipulation to escape pesky governments and the like.

Reading Blindsight and Echopraxia probably hasn't helped my pessimism about near-term transhumanity.

Back to our topic....these suckers remind me of the Black Mirror episode "Metalhead." Those robots were based on real ones, so no wonder.

I will be surprised if robots don't outnumber humans on the battlefield within 30 years.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    I find public footage of these robots a lot less frightening than leaked footage of Google employees having a meeting.
    I hear you. What is scary is that their mindset is seemingly ubiquitous in the tech world. Will their biases be populating the AI that goes into those machines, I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    The issue is not the robots - its all the data, AI, and ML that will be sending the robots after you
    I think, the issue is still the three poisons. Especially in the minds of a few already too rich and too mighty humans, who always want more money and more power. You already know the following? Short Guide to Comparative Religions. See "Hinduism".

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    Don't worry about robots. Worry about what people will program the robots to do.
    I agree. But I would say it this way: Worry about what a small number of extremely mighty, greedy and delusioned people will tell other people, what the robots shall do. Antidote: Enlightenment - a new era of it. So that more and enough people see soon enough, what really counts in life. Step one: Teach the people, how delusion is implemented into the human masses. I also like the gospels in the bible. The golden rule is very important.

BTW:
    I have a master degree in computer science - more precisely: the German equivalent - and specialized in AI and ML. But I did not develop robots nor other stuff for the military. (As far as AI, I'm not quite up-to-date anymore. I worked mostly in other fields since I got my diploma.)
    Last edited by P30; 01-01-2021 at 07:11 PM.

It’s very gratifying to see how far BDIs technology has come. I had a small part in all this.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    ... so that they become immune against these dirty little tricks. These tricks are no rocket science at all. They are quite primitive but nowadays still very effective.

User Tag List