Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 405: F.A.S.T.

Week 405: F.A.S.T.

Week 405: F.A.S.T.

Results may be posted until February 1st, 2021.

We’ve done the F.A.S.T. recently, but what the heck, it’s end of the year, a pretty bad year, and TLG’s signature test can say goodbye to 2020 for us!

Designed by: Todd Louis Green
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: 8" circle and 3x5 card (see http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...ast-target.pdf for a downloadable target; this target must be printed on an 8.5x14 "legal" sheet of paper)
    Start position: concealed, hands relaxed at sides (see below for alternatives)
    Rounds fired: 6 per run

Pistol begins with exactly two rounds in the gun. Draw should be from underneath legitimate concealment (see below for alternatives). Arms must be relaxed with hands at your sides (not on the gun).

1. On the buzzer, draw and fire two rounds at the 3x5 card.
    2. Reload from slidelock/empty gun.
    3. Fire four rounds to the 8" circle.

Do not fire extra rounds. Shots intended for the 3x5 that hit the 8", or vice versa, count as misses.

Scoring is as follows:

Total time + 2s penalty for each 3x5 shot missed, + 1s penalty for each 8" shot missed.

The FAST is intended to be shot from legitimate concealment or with a duty/retention holster. Even when shot with a duty holster, start position is arms at sides (not "interview" stance). Score is modified as follows based on carry method:

Concealed: no penalty.

Retention holster with closed (snap or velcro) mag pouches: 0.5 second bonus (subtraction) per 6-shot run.

Retention holster with open top mag pouches: no penalty or bonus.

ALS, SERPA, or Thumb Drive (or similar) holster without concealment: 0.5 second penalty (addition) per 6-shot run.

Open top holster without concealment: 3 second penalty (addition) per 6-shot run.

If your range does not allow drawing from a holster, begin with the gun on a table with no round in the chamber (two in the magazine). On the start signal, pick up the gun, rack the slide, and shoot the drill. Reload from underneath concealment.

As an additional scoring twist in keeping with TLG’s overriding priority of consistency of performance, let’s see how many consecutive times we can shoot it clean! If your first run is clean (no points down/no penalty time added), you can shoot a second run. If your second run is clean, you can shoot a third run, and so on.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Gun used
    Starting position (concealed, duty, open holster, or table start)
    Type of holster (if applicable)
    Time and hits for each run
    How many clean runs you were able to shoot consecutively
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

P365MS engaged
    Concealed AIWB
    T-Rex sidecar holster
    Shot cold 2 runs consecutive all hits in 4.76-4.78s
    Didn’t run it more than that because ammo.

What I noticed:
    In the past few weeks I’ve committed to trying to improve with my carry gun and try and hit performance metrics usually reserved for larger guns. I hit my dry fire par times in live fire and I feel pretty satisfied with the progress.

Can definitely jump on mag release faster and can probably shoot it faster with less margin for error, but I’m pretty comfortably under 5 seconds consistently with guaranteed hits.

I’m resisting the urge to break out BBQ guns like my EDC X9 with SRO to show off and trying to stick with what I’m actually carrying. Because ammo conservation.

I did three runs today.

9.65 with two misses

9.13 clean

8.52 one miss

I’ve been neglecting regular practice for months and it shows.

I shot my M&P40 2.0C/TLR from a JMCK OWB from under a soft shell vest and my winter coat.

G19 gen4
    Blade Tech Total Eclipse OWB, strong side, w/ Blade Tech mag pouch opposite
    Concealed, fleece shirt and wet weather top

7.82 clean

Name:  20210101_164808.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  23.7 KB

Love this drill. This time is about average for me. A bit faster from AIWB, but gotta keep strong side skills up too.

7.00 s with a concealed AIWB revolver and pouches.

Might try it with a different revolver and maybe a dot.

5.62s with a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    7.00 s with a concealed AIWB revolver and pouches.

Might try it with a different revolver and maybe a dot.
    Gun and gear?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    5.62s with a revolver.

Nice.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Gun and gear?
    Leather AIWB N-frame holster and generic soft flap pouches that I put a magnet post in.
    Gun is a Smith 929 in 9mm.

For the faster run, I put an SRO on the same gun and ran a SpeedBeez OWB holster and moon clip holders with a sweatshirt concealing.

I had a lot of ammo issues with the cold weather. Primers got hard and a lot of light strikes.

I might try again in the spring.
    Last edited by JCN; 01-10-2021 at 06:21 PM.

Shot with my PX4CC, JMCK Wing Claw 2.5 under a quarter-zip sweatshirt. Three runs - recording my draw and reload times for future dry practice.

Name:  798FC4D2-73E0-4D23-8827-8398FACF92A3.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  32.0 KB
    Name:  DC829971-66FA-49DE-BFBF-DE6C95AFDBF3.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  32.6 KB
    Name:  9A13AA28-CA05-4D20-9CF3-E675344DC557.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  32.6 KB

I was pretty sure at the time that #2 was my best run ever and first sub-8 clean. I considered stopping on a high note. Based on #3, that would have been an excellent decision. I think Todd said you should never shoot the drill more than three times, so I stopped there.

User Tag List