Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 404: Five-Yard Roundup

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Springer RO9T, SME, flannel shirt)

Number of overtime shots
    1 (string 3)

Total score out of possible 100
    82-4x (subtracting 10)

Anything you noticed
    SHO rhythm was hard; tracking WHO was surprisingly easy.
    Ignore Alien Orders

PX4CC, JM IWB 3.

Cold: 91 raw, but OT on the 2H string so 86.

Name:  8E991D22-8FB4-4AA0-A33C-9B3C25009B8A.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  31.6 KB

I went on to shoot the rest of the old version of the Rangemaster Advanced Bullseye course - one of my favorite combinations because it works several distances and gives me two benchmark scores.

Name:  904F7ACB-B284-4F13-AE1D-8FD0BE6CA9E5.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  33.9 KB

Raw score was 181, but with Tom’s tougher -10 for the overtime shot on the Roundup, it’s a 171.

I was really dialed in at 10 (all 10s, I think) and pleased to keep everything on paper at 25.

New target for this ol' drill...

Name:  IMG_4381.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  35.2 KBName:  IMG_4380.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  38.2 KB

I'm just an old guy working to see if I can attach images...
    These from a target John Hearne generated, and I think it's pretty interesting. I had a lunch session on an indoor range with a coworker yesterday, and we finished up with a 5 yard round up. I shot the "fierce face" side. Focus and a little practice pays off!
    100 points, all below 2.5 second par with my G19MOS and ACRO. Draw was unconcealed out of a JMCK IWB.
    I've discussed this briefly with @Wayne Dobbs, and we believe it brings a new approach to the B8. @jlw has a line about a student of his-an ER nurse-focusing on head shots since she had seen bad folks fight a lot after taking body hits(or words to that effect).
    Someone else mentioned that the 10 ring is pretty close in area to the PostIt notes, and this target, imho, will be instructive...

It worked!
    Woohoo!

Excellent work. I’ve never been able to clean the roundup. I’ve gotten a few 97s and a 98 but 100 eludes me.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Name:  IMG_4381.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  35.2 KBName:  IMG_4380.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  38.2 KB

I'm just an old guy working to see if I can attach images...
    These from a target John Hearne generated, and I think it's pretty interesting. I had a lunch session on an indoor range with a coworker yesterday, and we finished up with a 5 yard round up. I shot the "fierce face" side. Focus and a little practice pays off!
    100 points, all below 2.5 second par with my G19MOS and ACRO. Draw was unconcealed out of a JMCK IWB.
    I've discussed this briefly with @Wayne Dobbs, and we believe it brings a new approach to the B8. @jlw has a line about a student of his-an ER nurse-focusing on head shots since she had seen bad folks fight a lot after taking body hits(or words to that effect).
    Someone else mentioned that the 10 ring is pretty close in area to the PostIt notes, and this target, imho, will be instructive...

It worked!
    Woohoo!
    Wait... so it's a target with an "angry face" on one side, and a B8 on the other?!?

Where can I get this wonderful target?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Excellent work. I’ve never been able to clean the roundup. I’ve gotten a few 97s and a 98 but 100 eludes me.
    Thank you sir-and don't ever surrender!
    I'm in mid-to high 90s myself most of the time; might have cleaned it once or twice over the years. My main point here was to show the target; I hope @John Hearne will post it as I think it's valuable when printed two sided.
    Some drills/evals it might not be too good with, like the "Test"perhaps. Others, like @SLG "Cold Heat" it's illuminating, imo.
    Matter of fact, it's slow here today/might do a little lunch shooting again...

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Wait... so it's a target with an "angry face" on one side, and a B8 on the other?!?

Where can I get this wonderful target?
    As I said, @John Hearne generated it after a suggestion from a student.

So, Mr. Hearne-pretty please...?

(I have no frickin' idea how to post a pdf...sorry!)

For reference: stay in the black and that will be a definite game changer; inside the 10, really good! (And in my case, lucky-to paraphrase Clint: lucky is good...).
    Inside the "X", um, superhuman, possibly...
    Last edited by 1Rangemaster; 10-06-2023 at 10:11 AM.

Site Supporter
    I shot 99 on this drill today. It is deceptive. On paper it looks easier than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    I shot 99 on this drill today. It is deceptive. On paper it looks easier than it is.
    Yes sir-that is one way of putting it. I usually stumble during support hand shooting and “snatch” an “8” (or worse!). It continues to remind me to dry practice.
    I hope it doesn’t annoy Mr. Dyal, but I sometimes reverse the order and start with the support hand shots. That way I end up with the freestyle concealed draw shot as the most recent.

It's on my web site along with some other useful files.

It can be a struggle to get the two-sided to print "right." My goal was to have the bottom of the 10 ring at the bottom of the nose. Depending on how your printer handles two-sided printing, you may have to play around with the setting.

Link:
    https://twopillarstraining.com/files/
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List