Thread: I want to try my Turbo K on a 20" AR

I want to try my Turbo K on a 20" AR

Odd question, sorta, as its not the niche the can was intended for. Most people are sticking these cans on SBRs/pistols,and not full length rifles. Anyone have any experiences with 18-20" AR's and silencers in general? I suspect that the 20" guns gas system is a bit less sensitive to the pressure issues vs shorter guns.

I know that this isn't really the intended use, but making my varmint blaster a bit quieter and mitigating recoil sounds like fun, as long as it runs without too much work.

I can't speak to 18 and 20" barrels but here are my experiences with a 16" Generic upper with a carbine gas system and a 16" BCM upper with a mid length gas system and a regular Turbo.

With no changes made, both were very overgassed, so much so that in my first carbine match the speed of the bolt carrier/recoil was significantly affecting recovery for follow up shots. The gas to the face was bad enough that with no wind my eyes were watering.

I ultimately ended up adding a H2 buffer to the mid length upper and a H3 to the carbine upper. That slowed the bolt carrier down to normal and the recoil was back to normal. I put a Gasbuster charging handle on the carbine and added Black RTB silicone to both the BCM and Gasbuster CH to seal them up further.

At this point I'm comfortable shooting both guns off the bench or on the move in a match. Ammo being used is S+B 55gr and my reloads with 55gr at 2970 fps.

I imagine that on a 20" you will still need to step up from the normal buffer and do something re. the charging handle to mitigate gas.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Thanks for the reply.

I'm already trying to sort out buffer weight vs function on my short gun, so none of that will come as a surprise if I have to... I just haven't see much talk about it, specific to longer rifle gas systems (and rifle buffers/springs). I'm also already considering the PRI Gas buster, but will probably try the RTV trick first. I'd prefer not to have to deal with something like gas adjustment, but I'll cross that bridge if I have to.

User Tag List