Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Another "why revolvers?" thread (culled side conversation)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    The time with the SAW lead to a muzzle thump to the face
    “The quick and the dead, drill sergeant!”

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    'Flawed', 'straw men' and 'less than serious' come across to me as about as dismissive as 'dishonest'. The perspectives I've linked to are going off of their experiences just as you are going off of yours. What criticisms are to be deemed as valid or not isn't immediately apparent to me.

There are good question as far as whether the squib in that class as described by Mr. Weems would have have been enough to deadline a semi-auto. and also whether maintenance and mechanical issues are the same as semi-autos. Same with the performance and role in small revolvers compared against other handguns, and if there is any significance in decreasing trends of revolver production.

I've spent enough time lurking around this subforum to see some of the nerdier revolver nerds talking about certain generations or versions of S&Ws and Colts having problems and not always being so perfect.

I think it was either rob_s or Erick Gelhaus or someone else who mentioned something about teaching the importance of cleaning and lubrication to a group of students that did not necessarily even know how to change the oil in their car. (On a similar note, I remember a guest on Civilian Carry Radio pointed out that the old chestnut of talking about a spinning football to describe the effect of rifling on a bullet kinda falls flat when nobody in the class has ever thrown one). Looking past the temptation of culture commentary, I bring that up because I think it's very possible that most gun owners clean or lube less than what you describe, and almost certainly shoot even less.

Your comment about sensitive running machines reminds me of that adage about 1911s being around at a time when labor was a lot cheaper. I don't know if revolver production today is a lot more than it was in older times, but even if it isn't, has modern quality control been able to keep up?
    I AM dismissive of the linked post. Failures are cited with no details and in fact we're told details don't matter. Absent details we can't assess them nor add to our body of knowledge and learn any lessons. The one failure mode we are given details of is not revolver specific and therfore tells us nothing as to the fitness of revolvers. There is a segue into service revolvers being superior to small snubs. This is pretty much true in the semiauto world as well. I'm speculating but I'm betting a 6.3" oal, 16 ounce, subcompact semiauto would have struggled to reach the final round as well shooting against service pistols. We don't know though because an apples to apples comparison isn't made. Finally we draw down to a conclusion with really poor backing facts that you can't trust a revolver for more than a cylinder. The value of it is virtually nil.

I'm just an average shooter but I do have decades and tens of thousands of rounds experience across multiple platforms. I regularly shoot many cylinders worth of revolvers without hiccup or issue. I grant he had the experience, the question is why? Was it user induced, ammunition induced, maintenance induced, a design flaw in a particular make, model, or batch of revolvers? It's very at odds with my own experience and absent details there is no way to determine why A differs from B. If we are trying to be serious students of the handgun we need more than anecdata.

Why I read these threads I do not know But I do.

OP it is OK, I dislike brussel sprouts but my daughter enjoys them. I stlll love the little darling to death.
    Imagine a world where every man wanted to marry your wife, drive the cars/trucks that you do, shoot the exact guns you shoot and live in your neighborhood.
    That, would be a train wreck

On edit: My apologies to the OP, he's not the one making the anti-revo arguements.
    Even tho this thread was edited out of another.
    Last edited by JTMcC; 01-01-2021 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Why I read these threads I do not know But I do.

OP it is OK, I dislike brussel sprouts but my daughter enjoys them. I stlll love the little darling to death.
    Imagine a world where every man wanted to marry your wife, drive the cars/trucks that you do, shoot the exact guns you shoot and live in your neighborhood.
    That, would be a train wreck

On edit: My apologies to the OP, he's not the one making the anti-revo arguements.
    Even tho this thread was edited out of another.
    I wasn’t even REALLy talking about revolvers....
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I understand that and understand the point you "tried" to make. It's been properly ignored since you made it
    It usually is.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I get that, but that comment seemed to spawn the side conversation and was thus included. At this point I think it's ran it's course.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List