Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Another "why revolvers?" thread (culled side conversation)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Also I’m still curious what niche a revolver fills that a subcompact semi auto doesn’t.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try shooting that semi from your pocket ...

I'm strongly genderqueer and non-binary on this topic. A revolver still holds a place in my daily "around home and environs" lifestyle, which in the age of Covid is pretty regular.

My 642-1 is lots more friendly than my G26 for walking around in sweats and such, throwing in a jacket pocket (with pocket holster) etc etc.

Much more comfortable in the hand, for me, than squirmy little automatics. And, there's that familiarity that those of us who carried them on the job back in the day feel with them.

Once I leave home, however, the equation changes.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    When we finally intersect somewhere in time and space, you can shoot the shit out of a few of mine. That way, you can at least put the itch to bed in proper fashion.
    We'll be spending some time in Coeur d'Alene this spring and summer looking at houses and property so I'll likely be in touch if nothing more than to buy you an adult beverage or several, but I never turn down an offer to shoot someone else's guns.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    There are dots for revolvers. Scopes as well. Some require milling, others use the rear dovetail, and some use existing screw holes in the top strap. Not J-frames, but pretty much every other S&W revolver since sometime in the early 90's has had the capability to accept a scope mount with nothing more then a screwdriver. If the MOS is easy to mount a dot on, so is every K, L, and N frame manufactured in the last 30-ish years.

They are quite popular for certain uses, such as hunting. It's *easier* to put an optic on a revolver, and was done long before it was done on semi-autos, because there's no reciprocating slide to deal with.

What you don't get is backup irons. It's an either/or proposition in every set up I've seen.

As for WML, that's true. I don't care about a WML on a concealed carry gun, so not a decision point for me. Lots of my guns won't take a light including most of "good old days" Sigs.
    Many a squirrel and grouse met their demise at my hands with a scoped .22lr revolver in the 90's. It's not a platform that I feel lends itself very well for a dot for concealed carry though, at least not for me.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    It is my edc, my class gun, and my uspsa gun
    I will testify, from personal observation, how well 03RN shoots that short-barrel M66 in USPSA matches. In case it's not 100% clear, that is not a race gun. It is a serious self-defense tool.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Thats pretty. Nice background too. Which model is that and the sights?
    Thanks
    Its a 2.75" m66-8 with c&s rear u notch and a meprolight front.

Thanks
    Its a 2.75" m66-8 with c&s rear u notch and a meprolight front.
    Whats the preferred practice and carry ammo for that?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    None, I haven't had the itch to incorporate a revolver into my life in a couple years. It's about 1000 through each of my gen 5 G17s when they were new to verify reliability, and a little over 3000 with one of the G17s and a RMR.

Not sure I kept track, but other than the training journals sub forum and Romper Room I try to spend a little time going through all the other ones. I actually like revolvers from a historical significance perspective and aesthetics, but they don't check enough boxes for me for concealed carry.

Sounds like it covers all the bases for you then.

And ease and speed of reloading, attaching a WML, and a red dot, which the last one isn't something everyone is going to care about but the lack of ability to easily attach a WML would eliminate it from consideration for me. I know there are revolvers that come with rails under the barrel and optics ready but they don't seem to be all that popular for some reason.
    Where is this opinion of revolvers coming from if you don't shoot them. It sounds like you've shot a couple j frames and have based your opinion of all revolvers on that very narrow experience.

Not liking revolvers for edc is fine, but you keep repeating things that are not correct. Im not sure if its a confirmation bias or what.

Ease and speed of reloading is just fine. I can reload it faster than I could my SAW. Always striving to be faster and more efficient though.

Ill admit that even though my glocks, berettas, and 1911s have holsters to accommodate wmls I seldom carry with them. They are just not as comfortable for me.

Mounting a rmr on a revolver is faster and cheaper than milling a slide though its uglier

Where is this opinion of revolvers coming from if you don't shoot them. It sounds like you've shot a couple j frames and have based your opinion of all revolvers on that very narrow experience.
    From past experience shooting them, like I said. Not just j frames, though if I were to implement a revolver into my life that's likely what it would be, in the role of a NY Reload/BUG. If that isn't good enough for you at this point, you'll just have to be mad at me.

Ease and speed of reloading is just fine. I can reload it faster than I could my SAW. Always striving to be faster and more efficient though.
    That's still slower than reloading a semi auto.

Ill admit that even though my glocks, berettas, and 1911s have holsters to accommodate wmls I seldom carry with them. They are just not as comfortable for me.
    Now we're getting somewhere, at least you're admitting that comfort is a factor. I've found that holster selection is just as important if you want to carry a WML as it is for selecting the right holster for AIWB.

Mounting a rmr on a revolver is faster and cheaper than milling a slide though its uglier
    The cost of slide milling or the turn around time really isn't a concern, that's why I didn't buy MOS guns.

Site Supporter
    What about someone like my wife? In her family I know of only one person that has used firearms, and that is her uncle in the 1980s when he did his national service in the Mexican Army. There is almost less than zero understanding of firearms among many in Mexico. Maybe not so much in the ranchero/el campo areas, but in the urban middle class this seems to be true.

The revolver is simple for her to use, load, and handle. The Taurus 856 actually fits her tiny Aztec hands pretty well and will not jam because she didn't hold it right.

My wife is smart enough to learn a semi auto, but she has just enough interest to learn to use a revolver competently. With that, I am content.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I will testify, from personal observation, how well 03RN shoots that short-barrel M66 in USPSA matches. In case it's not 100% clear, that is not a race gun. It is a serious self-defense tool.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Whats the preferred practice and carry ammo for that?
    My carry ammo is usually 140gr xtps at 1140fps but after I blew a 1/4 of the breast out of a grouse I switched to 158gr swc-wn at 1230fps

My most shot ammo has been 158 @1100. When I shoot .38s its a 158 at 850fps though but I shoot way more .357. Even at competitions.

User Tag List