Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Another "why revolvers?" thread (culled side conversation)

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    C&S?
    Yes sir

Thats pretty. Nice background too. Which model is that and the sights?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    How much of that 5k is from revolvers? How much of that reading is from SME in the revolver forum?

It is my edc, my class gun, and my uspsa gun

The only thing its playing catch up with is capacity. Which Im ok with because of my threat analysis of my life. I actually added smaller grips and less snaggy sights which makes it much easier to carry and shoot
    Attachment 65518
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    How much of that 5k is from revolvers?
    None, I haven't had the itch to incorporate a revolver into my life in a couple years. It's about 1000 through each of my gen 5 G17s when they were new to verify reliability, and a little over 3000 with one of the G17s and a RMR.

How much of that reading is from SME in the revolver forum?
    Not sure I kept track, but other than the training journals sub forum and Romper Room I try to spend a little time going through all the other ones. I actually like revolvers from a historical significance perspective and aesthetics, but they don't check enough boxes for me for concealed carry.

It is my edc, my class gun, and my uspsa gun
    Sounds like it covers all the bases for you then.

The only thing its playing catch up with is capacity. Which Im ok with because of my threat analysis of my life. I actually added smaller grips and less snaggy sights which makes it much easier to carry and shoot
    Attachment 65518
    And ease and speed of reloading, attaching a WML, and a red dot, which the last one isn't something everyone is going to care about but the lack of ability to easily attach a WML would eliminate it from consideration for me. I know there are revolvers that come with rails under the barrel and optics ready but they don't seem to be all that popular for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    None, I haven't had the itch to incorporate a revolver into my life in a couple years.
    When we finally intersect somewhere in time and space, you can shoot the shit out of a few of mine. That way, you can at least put the itch to bed in proper fashion.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    And ease and speed of reloading, attaching a WML, and a red dot, which the last one isn't something everyone is going to care about but the lack of ability to easily attach a WML would eliminate it from consideration for me. I know there are revolvers that come with rails under the barrel and optics ready but they don't seem to be all that popular for some reason.
    There are dots for revolvers. Scopes as well. Some require milling, others use the rear dovetail, and some use existing screw holes in the top strap. Not J-frames, but pretty much every other S&W revolver since sometime in the early 90's has had the capability to accept a scope mount with nothing more then a screwdriver. If the MOS is easy to mount a dot on, so is every K, L, and N frame manufactured in the last 30-ish years.

They are quite popular for certain uses, such as hunting. It's *easier* to put an optic on a revolver, and was done long before it was done on semi-autos, because there's no reciprocating slide to deal with.

What you don't get is backup irons. It's an either/or proposition in every set up I've seen.

As for WML, that's true. I don't care about a WML on a concealed carry gun, so not a decision point for me. Lots of my guns won't take a light including most of "good old days" Sigs.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Why revolvers? It's a holiday, I'm am American, and what other than a Single-Six does one park in front of the small size Ka-Bar on their belt to compliment the grouse shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    ...and what other than a Single-Six does one park in front of the small size Ka-Bar on their belt to compliment the grouse shotgun?
    Bearcat?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Student
    While uncommon, I see revolvers often enough in the hands of basic students and range plinkers (whether their own or from the rental counter) that from a teaching perspective I'd better be able to adapt and accommodate. I think one of the worst things I could do would be to berate a new shooter over bringing a revolver, even if I am able to switch them to something else during the class, which isn't always able to happen.

On a somewhat related note, the SGC ran out of .38 Special again. I don't think it's just the hoarders and scalpers.

Name:  Screenshot_20201231-131240_Gmail.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  23.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Let's be honest though in evaluating them.
    Please bear in mind that I presented these considerations as they were, not with the purpose of advocating for or dissuading against. That's not to say they're beyond dispute, but I think it is a bit much to treat them as not honest.

just a thought on wheelies as self-defense tools

Does anyone fret too much about motorcycles not being the optimal tool for arriving in one piece if safety is your top consideration?

OK, some people do (not a rider myself), but I think the idea is similar. Even if jframes/LCRs do have some practical advantages for carry. And I would take a .357 over 95% of semis for a field/hunting gun.......blah blah blah.

Why not? Beats a flintlock.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Why revolvers? It's a holiday, I'm am American, and what other than a Single-Six does one park in front of the small size Ka-Bar on their belt to compliment the grouse shotgun?
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Bearcat?
    H&R 999?

---

This month I officially became an old guy as determined by our (non-ant) overlords, and - just as H.W. McBride pondered in 1933 - I am STILL not so sure that I couldn't do better work with a revolver if I was in a real bind.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List