Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Another "why revolvers?" thread (culled side conversation)

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I admit my revolver experience is limited
    Read more, or shoot more.

You keep referring to revolvers, then back tracking and saying j frames with the worst sights and grips available. No wonder your limited experience has left you so verbal on revolvers.

Good sights and grips are a thing. Infact, good grips are infinitely better. They are even more customizable.

I have as many autos as revolvers. All autos have good aftermarket sights on them but Ive found my absolute favorite...on a revolver. With grips that are perfect as well. A nice wide U notch with a tritium front.
    Name:  16094385494375008087084875418682.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  26.6 KB
    Last edited by 03RN; 12-31-2020 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I have a Glock 19 that’s over 1,300 rounds without cleaning or lube so IDGAF about cleaning my carry gun after every range trip. Obviously it’s not bad but again, it’s 2020. If you have to clean your gun every 1-200 rounds, you need a new gun.

Also I’m still curious what niche a revolver fills that a subcompact semi auto doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I regularly go over 1k rounds of dirty unique/lead reloads in my carry gun without cleaning. Including competitions where I have to wait on auto shooters clearing their malfunctions or broken parts.

I have a Glock 19 that’s over 1,300 rounds without cleaning or lube so IDGAF about cleaning my carry gun after every range trip. Obviously it’s not bad but again, it’s 2020. If you have to clean your gun every 1-200 rounds, you need a new gun.

Also I’m still curious what niche a revolver fills that a subcompact semi auto doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pocket carry. Backup carry. Shooting someone off you at contact distance. I once pressed a Glock 19 up against a young man's temple, pressed the trigger and got a scrunch when I expected a bang. I was successful in changing the subject's behavior, but if he had produced a weapon, well, Glocks aren't so good for pistol-whipping or up close personal problem solving of an intimate nature.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I regularly go over 1k rounds of dirty unique/lead reloads in my carry gun without cleaning. Including competitions where I have to wait on auto shooters clearing their malfunctions or broken parts.
    When I get home from a match or a range trip, I clean my guns. (I also run my car through the car wash in the winter, too.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Special doesn’t necessarily indicate anything more than they pull triggers more and rarely has anything to do with expertise in self defense, concealed carry, etc.
    Not that Lost River needs a random internet white knight, but: I have good reason to suspect that the 1911 friends he’s talking about are no dunces with regard to firearms, concealed carry, or actual defense/offense use in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Since this has devolved into revolver vs. autoloader, can we go ahead and do 9mm vs. .45 as well?
    dude, please. .38+P vs. .357 short barrel. do you even “hipster,” bro?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    When I get home from a match or a range trip, I clean my guns. (I also run my car through the car wash in the winter, too.)
    Thats my normal habit as well. Glocks or revolvers but sometimes I go from a match to work.

...but Ive found my absolute favorite...on a revolver. With grips that are perfect as well. A nice wide U notch with a tritium front.
    C&S?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

My cleaning regimen has changed over the years but I still go over any gun I intend to carry after each range session regardless of type. I’m knocking the crud out but I’m also inspecting and performing a function test. I was a LE firearms instructor towards the end of the BRT Era (Big Round Thing), trust me a revolver will function even if extremely neglected.

As to “Why revolvers” one of the members here summed it up well, revolvers are just more “organic” than autos and some people just like that better.

Read more, or shoot more.
    I shoot quite a bit, although a couple surgeries in past 14 months didn't afford me as many opportunities as I would have liked, but I still managed a little over 5000 pistol rounds from the summer of 2019 to first part of October 2020. That time off did allow me more time to read more than I usually have, but thanks for the suggestion anyways.

You keep referring to revolvers, then back tracking and saying j frames with the worst sights and grips available. No wonder your limited experience has left you so verbal on revolvers.
    Yes, I was referring to commonly carried revolvers and configurations, which I should have clarified from the beginning. As I pointed out, my experience is limited by choice, it takes very little time for me to realize that there are better options for me than revolvers in the role in which I would use them.

Good sights and grips are a thing. Infact, good grips are infinitely better. They are even more customizable.
    I never said they weren't a thing, but as I pointed out already, adding bigger grips and snaggier sights would take away one of the advantages that a small revolver would give me, so it's kind of a moot point.

I have as many autos as revolvers. All autos have good aftermarket sights on them but Ive found my absolute favorite...on a revolver. With grips that are perfect as well. A nice wide U notch with a tritium front.
    Cool. I'm sure it's rad as far as revolvers are concerned but unless it's your primary everyday carry and your semi autos sit at home or play backup, you've kinda proved my point. They can be made better, but they're still playing catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I shoot quite a bit, although a couple surgeries in past 14 months didn't afford me as many opportunities as I would have liked, but I still managed a little over 5000 pistol rounds from the summer of 2019 to first part of October 2020. That time off did allow me more time to read more than I usually have, but thanks for the suggestion anyways.

Yes, I was referring to commonly carried revolvers and configurations, which I should have clarified from the beginning. As I pointed out, my experience is limited by choice, it takes very little time for me to realize that there are better options for me than revolvers in the role in which I would use them.

I never said they weren't a thing, but as I pointed out already, adding bigger grips and snaggier sights would take away one of the advantages that a small revolver would give me, so it's kind of a moot point.

Cool. I'm sure it's rad as far as revolvers are concerned but unless it's your primary everyday carry and your semi autos sit at home or play backup, you've kinda proved my point. They can be made better, but they're still playing catch up.
    How much of that 5k is from revolvers? How much of that reading is from SME in the revolver forum?

It is my edc, my class gun, and my uspsa gun

The only thing its playing catch up with is capacity. Which Im ok with because of my threat analysis of my life. I actually added smaller grips and less snaggy sights which makes it much easier to carry and shoot
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-10-27-17-38-31.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  97.0 KB

User Tag List