Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Another "why revolvers?" thread (culled side conversation)

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    My main career was teaching, and I demonstrated a skill set that allowed me to take students viewed as mean an stupid and then shape them up to perform academically and finish school. It was not easy. That said, give me an intelligent person who will listen, and I can teach him or her to shoot revolvers and pistols. I use the 7 yard line and prescribed dry fire practice in front of a mirror. Only then, after ample instruction and practice, do I increase distance. I keep sessions short. You too can learn the revolver.

School of Infantry?

Ft. Benning Grajiate heer.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Actually, no. You've not couched your posts in those terms except after the fact. You keep saying 'revolvers are this' or 'revolvers are that' as categorical facts, then fall back on I just don't prefer them and I don't have much experience with them. You had no idea S&W drilled and tapped revolvers for optics, but had no issue pronouncing the difficulty of mounting an optic on a revolver. Once it was pointed out to you, then it was feels. Literally nobody cares if you carry a revolver, like revolvers, want a revolver, etc. What I and several others are doing is correcting your misinformation.
    Here's my first post on the matter where I laid out why I don't use them. I've already said that I could have done a better job at making it clear that it contained opinions gleaned from my own personal experience but I made the mistake of assuming that 5 paragraphs of me talking about myself would be sufficient enough for people to see the intent. Clearly it was not. While I stand by all the things I've posted in this thread in how it relates to my decision making, it's clear that I simply should have steered clear of this one just like I do with the many political and social hot button topics that take place here. You're obviously free to misrepresent my intent and make assumptions about whether or not I knew you could get a revolver drilled and tapped from the factory, even though I recently posted a meme with a revolver with an optic on it. If you're going to be upset at me for talking out of my ass, when you point it out at least make sure you're not talking out of yours. I don't say that just to sound like an edgy asshole or to be disrespectful towards you, a mod, I have a great deal of respect for you, but I feel like several years of faithful site supporter membership has at least afforded me the ability to point that out. If not, then I'll take whatever comes. Either way, this is the last post I'll make in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    My issue with revolvers as a carry for self defense option isn't the lack of capacity, but all the other things that make them less than ideal. Wonky grips, terrible sights, and the ergonomics of a gas station burrito. I've thought about buying one for years, something like the 9mm LCR, but it would serve in the BUG role and not as the main carry option. Every time I shoot a revolver though, I can't help but talk myself out of it because everything with a semi auto is better and/or easier.

As mentioned elsewhere by me, I have big hands and little guns don't agree with them. The smallest gun I would carry as a primary is a Glock 19. Even with a G19 size gun, my pinky is always on the verge of dropping off. Undercutting the trigger guard on a G19 allows me to get a full-ish firing grip. A G17 is better so that's what I carry.

The purpose of carrying a gun for me is more about protecting my family than myself. I've had my CPL since I turned 21, but prior to having kids I didn't always carry and didn't put a bunch of thought into it. The lives of my wife and kids are the most important thing to me, so it seems like best practice would be for me to carry the most capable pistol that I can. I mean, guns that were around when the west was won are cool and all from a historical perspective but I'm not gonna use one in 2020.

I don't live and die by the statistics that are often touted in these discussions, but if we take the supposed average gun fight taking 3 rounds to stop one attacker, which we know can take less or more depending on lots of things, and apply that to a J-frame, that's a 1.66 bad guy gun. Sure you can pull out that speed loader or those rubber strips from your pocket and reload it, and yes I've seen videos of it being done "fast", but let's be honest, that's a lot of fiddle fuckery, much more so than reloading a semi auto.

The j-frame or small semi auto with no reload may be the right choice for some people, but it's not for me. My loved ones are worth me making the effort to be as prepared as I possibly can in the event I have to smoke check one or more shitbirds for trying to do us harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    No, it was more about the reduced capacity of a revolver possibly necessitating a reload that would not be necessary with a higher capacity semi auto. It was just an example.

Because of circumstances beyond our control, we have to make monthly visits to one of the places where that stuff was happening. Even in the woods, I'm more concerned with two legged threats than four.

I'm not trying to convince anyone not to carry one either. It doesn't take a couple thousand rounds for me to know that I'm better served with a semi auto for my needs.

Fair enough, but when I compare how many boxes a revolver checks for me compared to a semi auto it heavily favors the semi auto.
    "My issue with revolvers as a carry for self defense option isn't the lack of capacity, but all the other things that make them less than ideal. Wonky grips, terrible sights"

Just re read your first post that you quoted.

In one post you state your issue isnt the capacity. Its the sights and grips. Once we cleared that up you're now arguing that capacity is your reasoning behind choosing a semi.

Which is fine but its hard to have a discussion like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Y’all do realize I wasn’t REALLY talking about revolvers here, right?
    I saw it as a metaphor for the soul crushing cycle of birth and rebirth while entrapped in the illusions of Maya... well, that, and an endorsement of calibers beginning in 4... :-P

I feel like one or two of our members are actually MIT grad program AI designed to debate, at least in the Monty Python mold.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

When energy weapons are perfected and the “in” choice is either a phased plasma pistol of 20 watts or a focused particle emitter will the 40 year olds wonder why some “Blammers” are still clinging to chemically propelled kinetic weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    I saw it as a metaphor for the soul crushing cycle of birth and rebirth while entrapped in the illusions of Maya... well, that, and an endorsement of calibers beginning in 4... :-P
    I love you because you get me...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Revolvers have shit capacity and are far more difficult to operate. Plus they’re reportedly more picky about being clean. They’re literally the carry version of the Freedom Group Rem 870 Express shotgun for home defense that you only have to rack to scare away 70% of bad guys and you don’t even have to aim fur yer one shot kills of the other 30%.
    What the ?

Revolvers are much easier to figure out for folks new to firearms in my experience. How to load, unload and answering the question is it loaded. Also, plenty of folks struggle with slide manipulation on a Browning tilt barrel designed semi auto.

I have run more rounds than I can count through wheel guns than I could possibly count and yet to have a failure that was due to it being not maintained and cleaned. I suck at cleaning revolvers and unusually clean them up with a quick CLP brush and wipe down. Revolvers have always been noted for being notoriously reliable. What happened recently where they are now sensitive running machines?

Another "why revolvers?" thread (culled side conversation)

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Military battles are very different but when your the only one in a room, courtyard, or alley except for the enemy the similarities to a 1 on 1 or 1on 3 fight are pretty similar. Especially individual movement, reloading, and thinking.
    You’ve had multiple instances where you were the only one in an enclosed area with enemy and were reloading a SAW or shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    What the ?

Revolvers are much easier to figure out for folks new to firearms in my experience. How to load, unload and answering the question is it loaded. Also, plenty of folks struggle with slide manipulation on a Browning tilt barrel designed semi auto.

I have run more rounds than I can count through wheel guns than I could possibly count and yet to have a failure that was due to it being not maintained and cleaned. I suck at cleaning revolvers and unusually clean them up with a quick CLP brush and wipe down. Revolvers have always been noted for being notoriously reliable. What happened recently where they are now sensitive running machines?
    My experience has been the opposite, though I will agree that slide manipulations can be difficult for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another "why revolvers?" thread (culled side conversation)

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Pocket carry. Backup carry. Shooting someone off you at contact distance. I once pressed a Glock 19 up against a young man's temple, pressed the trigger and got a scrunch when I expected a bang. I was successful in changing the subject's behavior, but if he had produced a weapon, well, Glocks aren't so good for pistol-whipping or up close personal problem solving of an intimate nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pol View Post
    Try shooting that semi from your pocket ...
    There have been some valid reasons brought up here but I’ll forget all of those long before I forget that this thread taught me that revolvers are good for shooting someone through your pocket and then pistol whipping them. Neither of which I expected to be advocated for any time in the past few decades outside of Hollywood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List