Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Another "why revolvers?" thread (culled side conversation)

Another "why revolvers?" thread (culled side conversation)

SIDE CONVERSATION MADE INTO IT'S OWN THREAD - MODERATOR

Most of the time I carry a 5-shot J-frame.

Anybody who carries less than a 5-shot J-frame is an unprepared sheeple who is going to get killed in the street.

Anybody who carries more than a 5-shot J-frame is a paranoid LARPER who is overly prepared to go to the movies.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 12-31-2020 at 10:54 AM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I finally get a chance to use this!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.c...ard-32065/amp/
    Brilliant!

Back to the actual topic. I usually carry a jframe with a speed strip because of where I work: they stay in the car, gun unloaded and locked up while I’m at work, and get to come out to be loaded and carried for errands during the day or after work/before returning home. Revolvers don’t care how many times rounds are loaded/unloaded, and I’m happier reloading the revolver in the car vs a semiauto. If I were miraculously able to get official permission to carry inside the building, or if I got to where I didn’t care about legalities/professional consequences, I’d likely carry a G42 or G43 as they are easier to shoot but near invisible carry is possible, and loading/unloading in the car would no longer be a daily consideration. I’d still carry spare ammunition.

There are days I don’t carry to/from work, and just get something out when I get home.

I recently did two 12 hour drives to visit my son. This was not a “shooting is on the agenda” kind of trip. It was satisfying my wife’s need to see her baby for a couple of days over Christmas. I still carried a lot more hardware and ammunition on my person and in the car than I normally do on the daily, just because resupply and up-arming was going to depend entirely upon what I carried along.

I also bought new tires all around for the SUV the day before we left. Getting flats on the freeway or in the middle of nowhere sucks. There was a lot more traffic than I expected.

Spare carry mags? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Most of the time I carry a 5-shot J-frame.

Anybody who carries less than a 5-shot J-frame is an unprepared sheeple who is going to get killed in the street.

Anybody who carries more than a 5-shot J-frame is a paranoid LARPER who is overly prepared to go to the movies.

Part of me thinks this post is trolling. The other part of me remembers a thread a few weeks ago where someone asked why don’t companies make more of XX revolvers and a second, more recent, thread about which revolver is best for self defense.

I get being a gun hipster just to be different, or maybe because of class or skill required or some other awe-inspiring trait, but it’s 2020. Only gun hipsters and people in their 80s (even old guys from their 50s-70s choose the 1911) think that revolvers are anything more than fun guns, though I’ll consent 1% of revolver usage to some mind-blowing niche that can’t be filled by a semi auto. But that’s it, and 1% is probably high.

Revolvers have shit capacity and are far more difficult to operate. Plus they’re reportedly more picky about being clean. They’re literally the carry version of the Freedom Group Rem 870 Express shotgun for home defense that you only have to rack to scare away 70% of bad guys and you don’t even have to aim fur yer one shot kills of the other 30%.

Spare mag a necessity? Probably not. But I’m not betting life on my ability to kill someone with five shots of a less-than-ideal caliber while he’s spraying .223 or 12ga from a semi auto long gun, in the dark with flashing lights, and loud noises, likely dozens of people screaming and running towards a limited number of exits, and probably a few of them throwing their bodies into yours since movement is already restricted in the aisles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 12-30-2020 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Part of me thinks this post is trolling. The other part of me remembers a thread a few weeks ago where someone asked why don’t companies make more of XX revolvers and a second, more recent, thread about which revolver is best for self defense.

I get being a gun hipster just to be different, or maybe because of class or skill required or some other awe-inspiring trait, but it’s 2020. Only gun hipsters and people in their 80s (even old guys from their 50s-70s choose the 1911) think that revolvers are anything more than fun guns, though I’ll consent 1% of revolver usage to some mind-blowing niche that can’t be filled by a semi auto. But that’s it, and 1% is probably high.

Revolvers have shit capacity and are far more difficult to operate. Plus they’re reportedly more picky about being clean. They’re literally the carry version of the Freedom Group Rem 870 Express shotgun for home defense that you only have to rack to scare away 70% of bad guys and you don’t even have to aim fur yer one shot kills of the other 30%.

Spare mag a necessity? Probably not. But I’m not betting life on my ability to kill someone with five shots of a less-than-ideal caliber while he’s spraying .223 or 12ga from a semi auto long gun, in the dark with flashing lights, and loud noises, likely dozens of people screaming and running towards a limited number of exits, and probably a few of them throwing their bodies into yours since movement is already restricted in the aisles.

Good point. I will ditch the J frame and start toting my Roland Special.

Thanks man.

/Thread.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Well, OK, then.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter

Revolvers do have low capacity, they are both hard to reload quickly and hard to shoot at a high level. This is why they are obsolescent as service handguns for LE and military use.

HOWEVER you are completely missing the niche revolvers fill better than anything else, and it is a lot bigger than 1%.

Revolvers are the perfect handgun for non gun people who need a gun as the ballistic equivalent of a fire extinguisher. Revolvers are easy to shoot the initial load from - point and pull the trigger 5 to 8 times. These fire extinguisher people will do a lot more handling and admin handling of defensive tools than shooting. They don't need to understand the cycle of operation - they open the cylinder dump the rounds and check / count the chambers, all of which are clearly visible.

Individual threat profile is also a consideration. What is likely vs what is possible. Tom Givens talks about 1 or 2 bad guy guns vs 3 or 4 bad guy guns, I've also heard it broken down as "look for trouble guns" vs "get out of trouble guns." Revolvers are definitely "get out of trouble" guns.

There are a lot more fire extinguisher / get out of trouble people than barrel chested freedom fighters running to the sound of the guns in active shooter events.

Site Supporter

Goodness, so much fail...

I'm not sure which part is the best. It might be stating that revolvers are hipster guns but implying that 1911s aren't, but it's tied with revolvers being more difficult to operate.

Capacity is an issue with revolvers...and 1911s...and compact autoloaders like the Shield and the PPS. It's an issue with anything that doesn't have a double-stack magazine. Until it's SHTF time, though, it's unknown whether it's a relevant issue. For most defensive gun uses, five rounds are enough. We're adults and make our own cost/benefit analyses.

"Reportedly" more picky about being clean? There's no "reportedly" about it, it's a long-known fact, but it's only relevant in matches and high round-count practice sessions. You don't carry a gun, round or square, on the street with a dirty chamber. That's like thinking that because a gun can run without lube that it's silly to lube it. A revolver with clean chambers won't mess you up.

FWIW, this 69-year-old guy usually carries a PX4 or a P99C...with a reload. And occasionally a 4" S&W M 10...with a reload. I'm comfortable with all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Revolvers are the perfect handgun for non gun people who need a gun as the ballistic equivalent of a fire extinguisher. Revolvers are easy to shoot the initial load from - point and pull the trigger 5 to 8 times. These fire extinguisher people will do a lot more handling and admin handling of defensive tools than shooting. They don't need to understand the cycle of operation - they open the cylinder dump the rounds and check / count the chambers, all of which are clearly visible.
    Are they easier to shoot the initial load from then something like a Glock? The few people I’ve been to shoot with when a revolver was present weren’t even sure how to best grip the gun, myself included. A high, thumbs forward grip that we all learned long ago helps control recoil on a semi auto really didn’t seem to work on revolvers.

Maybe it’s just because I knew something about Glocks and didn’t know anything about revolvers but I’ve seen three new shooters figure out how to work a Glock much faster than a revolver.

Site Supporter
    Are they easier to shoot the initial load from then something like a Glock? The few people I’ve been to shoot with when a revolver was present weren’t even sure how to best grip the gun, myself included. A high, thumbs forward grip that we all learned long ago helps control recoil on a semi auto really didn’t seem to work on revolvers.

Maybe it’s just because I knew something about Glocks and didn’t know anything about revolvers but I’ve seen three new shooters figure out how to work a Glock much faster than a revolver.

Revolvers don’t actually care how you grip them. They’ll still fire off all of the on-board ammunition, even if you flip it upside down and pull the trigger with your pinkie. Haven’t seen someone be successful doing that with a Glock.

Best practices and efficient use are another thing. Thumbs forward is a poor grip because it put some longer thumbs (mine) too close to the cylinder gap, and doesn’t clamp down on the revolver grip to effectively work on the recoil. Revolvers and GLOCKs are shaped differently. Grip for managing recoil may need to be different to be most efficient.

I find with revolvers the shooting hand thumb curled down and the support thumb clamped over it to be a best practice. Some shooters find that grip unworkable with a Jframe, and do thumbs crossed over the back instead.

There is no one way to do these things.

My issue with revolvers as a carry for self defense option isn't the lack of capacity, but all the other things that make them less than ideal. Wonky grips, terrible sights, and the ergonomics of a gas station burrito. I've thought about buying one for years, something like the 9mm LCR, but it would serve in the BUG role and not as the main carry option. Every time I shoot a revolver though, I can't help but talk myself out of it because everything with a semi auto is better and/or easier.

As mentioned elsewhere by me, I have big hands and little guns don't agree with them. The smallest gun I would carry as a primary is a Glock 19. Even with a G19 size gun, my pinky is always on the verge of dropping off. Undercutting the trigger guard on a G19 allows me to get a full-ish firing grip. A G17 is better so that's what I carry.

The purpose of carrying a gun for me is more about protecting my family than myself. I've had my CPL since I turned 21, but prior to having kids I didn't always carry and didn't put a bunch of thought into it. The lives of my wife and kids are the most important thing to me, so it seems like best practice would be for me to carry the most capable pistol that I can. I mean, guns that were around when the west was won are cool and all from a historical perspective but I'm not gonna use one in 2020.

I don't live and die by the statistics that are often touted in these discussions, but if we take the supposed average gun fight taking 3 rounds to stop one attacker, which we know can take less or more depending on lots of things, and apply that to a J-frame, that's a 1.66 bad guy gun. Sure you can pull out that speed loader or those rubber strips from your pocket and reload it, and yes I've seen videos of it being done "fast", but let's be honest, that's a lot of fiddle fuckery, much more so than reloading a semi auto.

The j-frame or small semi auto with no reload may be the right choice for some people, but it's not for me. My loved ones are worth me making the effort to be as prepared as I possibly can in the event I have to smoke check one or more shitbirds for trying to do us harm.

User Tag List