Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Another "why revolvers?" thread (culled side conversation)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    And yet, at no time did I tell anyone else not to use one.

I don't think you did. My post was to point out one difference between your position and others is that you don't want revolvers as your primary for a variety of valid reasons, just as there are a variety of valid reasons to make them a primary.

Have we discussed how many malfunctions we have seen in the UOF videos?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've laid out the reasons why I won't use a revolver for primary carry use, not why you or anyone else shouldn't.
    Actually, no. You've not couched your posts in those terms except after the fact. You keep saying 'revolvers are this' or 'revolvers are that' as categorical facts, then fall back on I just don't prefer them and I don't have much experience with them. You had no idea S&W drilled and tapped revolvers for optics, but had no issue pronouncing the difficulty of mounting an optic on a revolver. Once it was pointed out to you, then it was feels. Literally nobody cares if you carry a revolver, like revolvers, want a revolver, etc. What I and several others are doing is correcting your misinformation.

I would invite you to read up on NYPD SOP because, again, you are speaking from a place of ignorance. Do you know when NYPD stopped issuing revolvers? Or when they stopped authorizing them? Do you know in what sorts of situations the round count mandated a reload...and how relevant they are to civilian carriers? There's no reason to discuss the lessons learned there if you're just going to assume what's in them vs actually read them, but there's some pretty interesting stuff in there. You can definitely see trends on number of rounds fired, numbers of hits, rates of unintended discharges, officer survival rates, etc. It's one of the best historical to modern day resources out there for what's real vs what we think is real.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Said like a boss.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Actually, no. You've not couched your posts in those terms except after the fact. You keep saying 'revolvers are this' or 'revolvers are that' as categorical facts, then fall back on I just don't prefer them and I don't have much experience with them. You had no idea S&W drilled and tapped revolvers for optics, but had no issue pronouncing the difficulty of mounting an optic on a revolver. Once it was pointed out to you, then it was feels. Literally nobody cares if you carry a revolver, like revolvers, want a revolver, etc. What I and several others are doing is correcting your misinformation.

I would invite you to read up on NYPD SOP because, again, you are speaking from a place of ignorance. Do you know when NYPD stopped issuing revolvers? Or when they stopped authorizing them? Do you know in what sorts of situations the round count mandated a reload...and how relevant they are to civilian carriers? There's no reason to discuss the lessons learned there if you're just going to assume what's in them vs actually read them, but there's some pretty interesting stuff in there. You can definitely see trends on number of rounds fired, numbers of hits, rates of unintended discharges, officer survival rates, etc. It's one of the best historical to modern day resources out there for what's real vs what we think is real.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    I keep two revolvers, a 3” K and a snub J, on my off duty books at work for those times when my back or hips cannot tolerate the issue G23 and for travel to less gun friendly states. They are almost always carried together unless I am really jacked up like I was in ‘15 when I suffered a slipped disc at L4and L5 and had to walk with a cane for a few weeks.
    The 442 and a speed strip was all I could manage during that time.
    The K Smith carried IWB doesn’t press into the nerves of my hip like the G23 does sometimes and the rounded grip hides a little better under my usual dress.
    I had a trooper friend, back in the revolver era, have to shoot multiple times over his back behind him to incapacitate a DUI suspect that was doing his damndest to choke him out from behind.
    I have since wondered how that would have worked out with his subsequent issue SIG P228.
    Both types of handguns have their place and the skill and tactics employed by the user is the most important factor in my view.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 12-31-2020 at 09:56 PM.

When my oldest was 3 or 4 and youngest was a baby, we were approached by two dope addicts outside of a Chuck E Cheese of all places. We were heading there for a birthday party. I had the diaper bag slung over my shoulder and the baby in my left arm, my wife had my oldest by the hand and carrying the present. If a stern BTFO hadn't got them moving another direction, a 5 or 6 shot revolver might have been enough but it might not. The 15+1 Glock 19 most likely would have been.

Gun fights in the military and civilian encounters aren't really in the same wheelhouse though. Over the spring and summer we've witnessed multiple vehicles get blocked in by traffic while swarms of angry leftists surrounded their vehicles. In these types of situations, which are not going away, utilizing cover may not be an option and I don't want low capacity and slower reloads when necessary.

I do too, just not for defensive purposes when I have better options available to me.

Never heard of that second one, but Tony makes good holsters. I like the Phlster Floodlight for X300U, it's way more comfortable than I thought it would be just looking at pictures of it.
    So you've been in a verbal altercation where you didn't draw, or fire and base you need for a 1 second reload on that? Ok

Military battles are very different but when your the only one in a room, courtyard, or alley except for the enemy the similarities to a 1 on 1 or 1on 3 fight are pretty similar. Especially individual movement, reloading, and thinking.

All of the summers troubles are a concern. If I lived in an area that I was concerned about those things I would carry an auto. I do carry autos occasionally. One of the reasons why I like a little more power in my handguns is performance after penetrating hard barriers such as cars. But Im more likely to run into moose or bears than riots.

Nobody's is trying to convince you you should carry a revolver. I do think that if you spent a couple thousand rounds with a service sized revolver and learned its strengths, weaknesses, foibles, and reloads you would probably spend less time typing how bad they are for edc.

We are only correcting your incorrect statements. If you take the above advice I bet you'd realize that complaining about sights or grips, etc is kinda misplaced.

Site Supporter
    I'm gonna be brutally honest about my priorities and what I think they ought to be.

1.) First aid skills. More likely to need those than anything else.
    2.) Unarmed combative skills. Being able to break away from someone who won't let me.
    3.) Have a gun close to hand. From what it seems like from detailed investigation from guys like BBI, almost any gun .380 and up will do.

From those criteria alone, it seems to me like a revolver in .38 would be fine. Whether snubby or service sized.

I carry a semi auto regardless, but I wouldn't fault anybody (especially a new shooter who has blind spots in their administrative gun handling, but also the occasional expert) with going to a revolver.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    So you've been in a verbal altercation where you didn't draw, or fire and base you need for a 1 second reload on that? Ok
    No, it was more about the reduced capacity of a revolver possibly necessitating a reload that would not be necessary with a higher capacity semi auto. It was just an example.

All of the summers troubles are a concern. If I lived in an area that I was concerned about those things I would carry an auto. I do carry autos occasionally. One of the reasons why I like a little more power in my handguns is performance after penetrating hard barriers such as cars. But Im more likely to run into moose or bears than riots.
    Because of circumstances beyond our control, we have to make monthly visits to one of the places where that stuff was happening. Even in the woods, I'm more concerned with two legged threats than four.

Nobody's is trying to convince you you should carry a revolver. I do think that if you spent a couple thousand rounds with a service sized revolver and learned its strengths, weaknesses, foibles, and reloads you would probably spend less time typing how bad they are for edc.
    I'm not trying to convince anyone not to carry one either. It doesn't take a couple thousand rounds for me to know that I'm better served with a semi auto for my needs.

We are only correcting your incorrect statements. If you take the above advice I bet you'd realize that complaining about sights or grips, etc is kinda misplaced.
    Fair enough, but when I compare how many boxes a revolver checks for me compared to a semi auto it heavily favors the semi auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    SIDE CONVERSATION MADE INTO IT'S OWN THREAD - MODERATOR

Most of the time I carry a 5-shot J-frame.

Anybody who carries less than a 5-shot J-frame is an unprepared sheeple who is going to get killed in the street.

Anybody who carries more than a 5-shot J-frame is a paranoid LARPER who is overly prepared to go to the movies.
    Y’all do realize I wasn’t REALLY talking about revolvers here, right?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

No, it was more about the reduced capacity of a revolver possibly necessitating a reload that would not be necessary with a higher capacity semi auto. It was just an example.

Because of circumstances beyond our control, we have to make monthly visits to one of the places where that stuff was happening. Even in the woods, I'm more concerned with two legged threats than four.

I'm not trying to convince anyone not to carry one either. It doesn't take a couple thousand rounds for me to know that I'm better served with a semi auto for my needs.

Fair enough, but when I compare how many boxes a revolver checks for me compared to a semi auto it heavily favors the semi auto.
    That reduced capacity point is lost on me. You didn't fire 1 round. Let alone 6 or 15. If we're playing what if then lets wonder how well that semi would have worked if they rushed and tackled you. Thats about as likely

It probably doesn't fill your perceived needs but at least you would be making rational arguments about factual deficits and not ones out of ignorance.

I get it. Its slower to reload. I get it the capacity isnt great. But if we're being realistic. Those 2 metrics aren't the ones that have kept you alive thus far and probably won't play a factor for the rest of your life and if you ever do need to reload in a gunfight then the difference between a 1 second reload and a 3 sec reload is largely academic.

The few times Ive drawn my edc stateside the problem resolved itself without shooting because of physical violence being the easiest path. Iirc once with a det special, twice with a 1911, and once with a m64. Ironically the times with the revolvers were against 3 dogs and 6-7 dogs and the 1911s were against single men with guns.

User Tag List