Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone started reloading 12 gauge buckshot loads because of panic?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I like that forum, but that’s a pretty apt description
    I think you have to consider the age of the people who go there. I've never even heard of that site.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I did it years ago, specifically for bowling pin shooting with a pump gun. Most factory loads were way too hot, and the original H132 “Tactical “ was in short supply. Low brass AA hulls, red wad with petals trimmed (or was it yellow?) and a 3 dram equivalent charge worked great. Still have maybe 100 rounds on hand in the event I need to dispatch some invading AMF hordes.
    Similar to what I'm using. Current slug load is AA red hulls, Win 209 Primer, WT-12 Wad, Lee 1oz slug and 18.0 grains of Red Dot. I trim the wad petals just enough to cover the slug while its in the bore.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I like that forum, but that’s a pretty apt description
    I hate that forum because all those old timers only seem to have recipes like that. Tire shops stopped giving away buckets of rat toes years ago.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Some of the guys over on the Cast Boolits forum have been casting/loading buckshot for years. Some of their recipes are pretty arcane. I think I saw one that included “eye of newt and toe of rat”.
    This. But, there’s a dude over there selling buck for $4.50 per lb. that ain’t bad, especially right now.

Right now I’m following the BPI buckshot load data as closely as possible with the components I have on hand. My goal is a 1100-1200 fps 8 pellet load that I keep all 8 pellets on a 12” plate at 25 yds.

Got 25 loaded right now, gonna take them to the range tomorrow and see how it runs in my 870 and if it’ll cycle the 1301

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

So I brought out 40 rounds of home loaded buckshot.

35 new primed fiocchi hulls and 5 once fired fiocchi hulls with a win 209 primer, with 17 gr of red dot, claybuster cb1118-12 wad, and 8 pellets of 00 buckshot loaded 2x2x2x2 with a 6 star crimp, using a Lee Loadall 2. All rounds plunked in a spare 28” field barrel, except 1 I kept separated.

Test guns are an 870 wingmaster with 18.5” police barrel and a gen 1 beretta 1301 18.5” barrel. Wanted to see how it patterned and ran in my guns.

The good news is that it cycled my 870 just fine. The 1301 was a different story. I had about 30%-40% fail to eject/weak ejection that caused a fail to feed.
    This wasn’t a surprise as the load data I used was a 9 pellet load, and the powder charge was middle of the listed range. Judging from my shoulder chrono these pellets were probably Moving around 1000-1050 fps. Recoil felt like a supersonic 300 blackout load through a pistol.

As far as pattern goes...it was all over the place. The wads are not optimal as their for tapered hills
    And fiocchi are straight wall. I think I’m going to try a slightly higher powder charge, my wild ass guess is that with a little more velocity it will group
    Better

Pics below, one shot fired at each distance. Circled holes mean are one group, underlined are another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

The buckshot shortage can’t be that bad . Last week a LGS had two pallets of 12 gauge 00 buck on the floor . Yep two pallets .
    It’s Nobel Sports .

User Tag List