Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone started reloading 12 gauge buckshot loads because of panic?

Anyone started reloading 12 gauge buckshot loads because of panic?

Like the title says, has anyone just decided to start reloading 12 gauge buckshot loads due to availability or price?

During the panic LGS has been limiting ammo purchases, originally 2 boxes, then 1 box, now only with firearm purchase. The price on Fiocchi Defense 9 pellet was pretty decent, between $15-$18 per box of 25. I tried to buy at least a box a week, but because reasons they stopped letting more than 4 people in the store, which means waiting in line outside anywhere from 5-30 minutes to get inside the store.

Since I can’t get buck locally, and online it’s well over $1 per shot, I decided to start reloading. Overpaid for a Lee Loadall, found primed fiocchi hulls for 12 cents online, found 20 lbs of 00 buckshot online.

Found wads and primers at my local public trap and skeet range. Got a 00 mold and casting pot/equipment for Crimas and I’ll be casting my own shot soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

I picked up a Lee 00 mold a while back but haven't cast anything yet. Most of the published loads will be rattle your teeth hunting loads. I've been playing with my Lee 1oz slug mold and results look promising with a low recoil 1300fps load. Good accuracy at 25 yards, but I need it accurate out to about 80 yards for 3 gun.

I started loading buckshot before the panic, and Flyboytim posted on this forum about his loads. I don't cast bullets or shot.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    I haven't done anything yet, but I've considered loading slugs since they're less problematic to shoot at the local ranges than buckshot. A buddy has a Mec and has offered to help me on that journey if I decide to dive in.

I've been resisting thus far because I don't need more loading and casting equipment in my basement.

Chris

I did it years ago, specifically for bowling pin shooting with a pump gun. Most factory loads were way too hot, and the original H132 “Tactical “ was in short supply. Low brass AA hulls, red wad with petals trimmed (or was it yellow?) and a 3 dram equivalent charge worked great. Still have maybe 100 rounds on hand in the event I need to dispatch some invading AMF hordes.

When the buckshot loads are gone from the shelves and no shot to be found, that's a sign of some dark days ahead.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Some of the guys over on the Cast Boolits forum have been casting/loading buckshot for years. Some of their recipes are pretty arcane. I think I saw one that included “eye of newt and toe of rat”.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    When the buckshot loads are gone from the shelves and no shot to be found, that's a sign of some dark days ahead.
    What? Buckshot has been missing in action from February to December in my neighborhood.
    Slugs have been hit or miss. Expensive sabot slugs were generally available but classic TruBall slugs have been hard to find. Haven’t seen my preference of Brenneke anywhere. Steel goose shot is generally available.

A local PD was selling some old bags of lead shot they used for weighting target stands. That stuff seemed to valued about the same as Troy silver per ounce. It was getting close to $70/bag in a bidding war, which flabbergasted me (people can be irrational).

On the original comment, B 1.1.7 has my full attention. It is no laughing matter what it is doing to Britain.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a shot shortage. I never paid a lot of attention to it when I reloaded because I kept a good supply of it on hand. I do know that about 20 years ago when I was shooting trap shot was about 0.75/lb and in a matter of a few short years it increased to around $2/lb. and the price never dropped. The economy of loading shot shells became ridiculous, much like 9mm, because one could buy a flat (250) for the same price.

A few years ago I sold all of my shotshell reloading gear and gave away my components. I had about 250 lbs of shot that went to a friend for helping me build a shed.

So now there's no loaded buckshot and no shot to load. That's worse than the pistol/rifle ammo shortage. At least I can still find bullets to load, just takes awhile to get it.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-31-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Some of the guys over on the Cast Boolits forum have been casting/loading buckshot for years. Some of their recipes are pretty arcane. I think I saw one that included “eye of newt and toe of rat”.
    I like that forum, but that’s a pretty apt description
    #RESIST

User Tag List