Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Mike Pannone video on ready position

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I don't give two shits about the purse-swinging between instructors, only the logical discussion of relevant TTPs.

Mr. Burch brings up an excellent point on a need for the refinement of our terminology. It would benefit us greatly to explore this.

So far, I have very briefly tried out the technique demonstrated by Pannone and I have to say, for me, grabbing the gun like that is very counter-intuitive. Hand close to muzzle, last two fingers wanting to find their way into the triggerguard....

Absolutely will continue to evaluate and decide whether or not it's a tool I want to ingrain into the toolbox, but not crazy about it yet...
    I don’t know about “purse swinging between instructors.” I’ve only seen people attack Will for TI. I am not saying it hasn’t happened but I haven’t seen Will post anything going after the mean girl instructors.

I also agree about terminology though I’m not sure it’s a realistic goal. Folks coming from a military background will have their own terminology, as Will LE folks. And even within the four branches of the military there is seldom common terms. We had to come up with joint instructions that are more used at HQ level than in the field.

Well I've done some training with this position, and one of the issues I have is, wrapping my support hand around the front of the gun as he shows, the tendency (for me) is that the gun's point more straight out, albeit at a downward angle, than down as it should be, which obviously defeats some of the purpose of the position.

I find myself having to very deliberately keep that gun down, not getting a very good physical index so to speak when assuming the position.

Anybody else trying this technique on for size and seeing similar issues?

Site Supporter
    Several LE agencies in my state issue Shields, G43s and/or G26s to their plainclothes investigators. Context of the usage aside(and I recognize context is everything in this discussion) I can't help but think Pannone's low ready retention position would not be a go to method on a subcompact gun with a shorter barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Well I've done some training with this position, and one of the issues I have is, wrapping my support hand around the front of the gun as he shows, the tendency (for me) is that the gun's point more straight out, albeit at a downward angle, than down as it should be, which obviously defeats some of the purpose of the position.

I find myself having to very deliberately keep that gun down, not getting a very good physical index so to speak when assuming the position.

Anybody else trying this technique on for size and seeing similar issues?
    I've been trying the techniques on for size but without official training, so caveat emptor.

Have you tried to rotate your gun hand's wrist inboard a bit? I found that if I hold the gun vertical, I tend to have the same thing happening as you do; if I turn my wrist inboard some, the gun naturally starts wanting to point further downwards. It feels good for moving with the gun compressed and down and doesn't appear to affect speed when acquiring a target.

Again, I have no actual training by Mike Pannone or anybody else who really knows how to use these, so I may be getting things wrong.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

For historical purposes

Name:  362592F9-67AD-453F-BA05-DE4396366A2C.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  26.8 KB
    “The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.” Machiavelli, The Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I've been trying the techniques on for size but without official training, so caveat emptor.

Have you tried to rotate your gun hand's wrist inboard a bit? I found that if I hold the gun vertical, I tend to have the same thing happening as you do; if I turn my wrist inboard some, the gun naturally starts wanting to point further downwards. It feels good for moving with the gun compressed and down and doesn't appear to affect speed when acquiring a target.

Again, I have no actual training by Mike Pannone or anybody else who really knows how to use these, so I may be getting things wrong.
    Acknowledged. Watchin' a yoo toob vid isn't the same as a good coach being there to instruct and correct. No doubt.

Upon further evaluation, wasn't about the wrist, as I generally do angle it in when assuming a moving position like this. I do try to minimize that though, I prefer to keep the shooting hand wrist as close to locked as possible, if that makes sense.

What I'm doing is trying to keep the gun high up, as per usual for me when assuming a "Sul-ish" safe position in movement...having the gun that high, the support hand tends to be an obstacle, so to speak, pushing the gun out, when trying to use Pannones technique.

What I found was that holding the gun lower, at around waist level, more easily allows the gun to be pointed in that downward angle, which is the whole point.

Makes more sense now. It certainly isn't something I'll adopt universally, but I will keep it in the toolbox, for certain crowded environments (as he obviously intended).

Poster above was correct in that this is no good for smaller, shorter guns. At least that's my view.

User Tag List