Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mike Pannone video on ready position

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    I always want more hilarious stuff in my life. Anyone have a copy f the now deleted pic?
    I do. I’ll post it in the meme thread.

Guys,

Just to keep this on track. A lot of the discussion seems to be centered around Will Versus Mike. I think we need to remember that there is broader context here. There ARE a lot of morons out there teaching "temple index" as a ready position, transitional position and will slice, dice and even make julienne fries!

I think based upon that above statement, Mike was responding to THAT, not necessarily Will's teachings.

The danger in the internet is that people lack context when they see something they may like and end up running with it as uninformed individuals.

I cleared a two story office building several weeks ago on an alarm call, with k9 and another Deputy that was working OT. We stacked up and began to move into the building. I was third man in the stack and I noted that the Deputy in front of me was using Temple index as his go to ready position as well as a movement position.

After we had cleared the building, I asked him where he learned that. He told me Will Petty at centrifuge training. I asked him what class he had taken and he shrugged me off. I pressed him and he finally admitted that he had seen it in a video...

At the end of the day, knowing the why is equally as important as the how. Without each component, techniques are potentially useless or dangerous.

Part of the reason it is a Pannone & Petty discussion is that the meme that Pannone shared and referenced shows Petty in Temple Index - with a dildo photoshopped against the side of his head in place of the handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Part of the reason it is a Pannone & Petty discussion is that the meme that Pannone shared and referenced shows Petty in Temple Index - with a dildo photoshopped against the side of his head in place of the handgun.
    Fair enough. So, maybe it is personal. I just don’t think WE as a community need to get mired up in the drama. There is a legitimate discussion to be had without childish stupidity.

Having never met Will or Mike I’d like to think it’s just good natured fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I just don’t think WE as a community need to get mired up in the drama.
    It's only January 2nd, and we've had our community drama for the year already.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Who really cares about said what to said who. It’s all information. Due with what you like

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Which is sad since Pannone opened the class I was in by admonishing against referring to urban prone as “broke back” because he has government contracts he did not want to jeopardize. If he really posted such a thing he must have been seduced by the internet mean girls club.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Which is sad since Pannone opened the class I was in by admonishing against referring to urban prone as “broke back” because he has government contracts he did not want to jeopardize. If he really posted such a thing he must have been seduced by the internet mean girls club.
    His comments were in response to drama surrounding someone else's off-color meme.
    David S.

So, who won the purse-swinging fight?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I think Pannone’s concerns about the disarms, etc come directly from the context of the FAMS where a hostile “sleeper” coming up the aisle behind you to grab your gun was a consideration.
    Yes, that's my take on it too. I've trained with Mike a couple of times and watched a number of interviews and podcasts with him, and his experiences with FAMS was highly influential to his pistol craft.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    With much thought about it, I've defaulted to the high compressed ready more or less like Fisher shows here:
    Attachment 65571

I think it provides a good middle ground that transitions well to other useful positions.
    Steve Fisher's high ready is very similar to what Bill Rapier teaches too, although he calls it "Strike Ready", for whatever that's worth.

On the other hand, Scotty Reitz is dismissive of everything but low ready.

I've come to the conclusion that I should be familiar with all the common ready positions, and use them as contextually appropriate.

User Tag List