Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather mask recomendations

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Cold weather mask recomendations

I want something for running/hiking/cycling that doesn't leave a big wet patch in front of your mouth and nose like a regular balaclava. I'm looking at the Cold Avenger masks, but they are out of stock on everything but the half mask and full balaclava and the balaclavas aren't rainproof. They are also $85, which seems on the high side for this sort of thing. They are USA made, which is a plus, but I'd like to consider some alternatives so input is welcome.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I want something for running/hiking/cycling that doesn't leave a big wet patch in front of your mouth and nose like a regular balaclava. I'm looking at the Cold Avenger masks, but they are out of stock on everything but the half mask and full balaclava and the balaclavas aren't rainproof. They are also $85, which seems on the high side for this sort of thing. They are USA made, which is a plus, but I'd like to consider some alternatives so input is welcome.
    We had neoprene ones many moons ago in WY. We didn't use them much, because we preferred snorkle hoods to face masks, but what works in the winter Rockies might not be the best choice for Indiana :-)

But I searched amazon for 'neoprene face mask winter' and they have a bunch. I picked out this one for you :-) :

amazon.com/Zanheadgear-Neoprene-Half-Face-Flames/dp/B00309TZEU

While googling around I also found this one. No experience, but having a bigger mouth hole might help with condensation:

https://facesavermask.com/index.html

I like Buffs for running and cycling. I tend to be pretty warm. When it gets really cold, I'll start out wearing a Buff around my neck and pulled up to my nose. If I get overheated, then it's pretty simple to pull it down from my face and just wear it around my neck. Buffs are also pretty versatile - I can wear it as a beanie cap to keep my head warm, or as a do-rag in the summer under my cycling helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    We had neoprene ones many moons ago in WY. We didn't use them much, because we preferred snorkle hoods to face masks, but what works in the winter Rockies might not be the best choice for Indiana :-)

But I searched amazon for 'neoprene face mask winter' and they have a bunch. I picked out this one for you :-) :

amazon.com/Zanheadgear-Neoprene-Half-Face-Flames/dp/B00309TZEU

While googling around I also found this one. No experience, but having a bigger mouth hole might help with condensation:

https://facesavermask.com/index.html
    While that mask is absolutely fabulous, I'm looking for something less... that.

The draw to the cold avenger is the heating of air before inhalation. It was cold enough to cause me chest pain a few days ago.

I think exercise in the cold is bullshit. Gyms are not that big a risk, hit the treadmill three months a year.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I think exercise in the cold is bullshit. Gyms are not that big a risk, hit the treadmill three months a year.
    Noted. Gyms suck and treadmills suck more. The only reason I *ever* had a gym membership was for pool access. I have a really nice (inherited) treadmill and all the weights I need at home if it comes to that.

Being outside pegs my fun meter and is better for my mental health then running on a fucking treadmill. I even have neat little ice cleats for my running shoes. Now what I need is a better cold weather mask.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Running in the winter is great.

I rather eat glass than run on a treadmill.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Most surprising thing in this thread isn't the suggestions, it's that BBI doesn't already have some kind of cold-weather keffiyeh setup.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Site Supporter
    I would like to find the same thing. Whether it's a covid mask or a cold weather mask for hiking, they always end up wet and nasty (I am sure there is a joke there).

User Tag List