Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please recommend good instructor's courses

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    What he said. I took the instructor class this past August and I feel confident now that I have the tools to take someone who is below a 6 out of 10 up to a 6, maybe even a 6.5.

I happened to take a gander at the Rangemaster schedule just now and in April Tom is holding several instructor classes in various parts of Texas. Not quite an easy drive from Northern Arizona, but an easy and probably a cheap flight.
    That's awesome that you had the opportunity to take that class! Great validation too, that you found it very useful.

My Sister in Law lives in Dallas...and my wife always laments that I never want to go with her when she visits over there, so now I'll be like...."OK, so when are we going to visit your sister!?"

Thank you for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Great question!

Related threads:

Becoming an Instructor
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-an-Instructor

NRA Instructor Certification VS Anything else...
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Anything-else

The journey of becoming a firearms instructor. Advice requested.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....vice-requested

So you're an instructor, hm?
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-instructor-hm

NRA Certified Instructor
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ied-Instructor
    Super awesome! Thank you so much for that, I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    What JAD said.

Tom Givens is one of the last 1st Gen post Cooper pistolcraft
    masters still teaching.

He understands that the pinnacle of pistolcraft was not reached in 1980 or 1990 or 2000.

Like all high level bodily kinesthetic endeavors, pistolcraft and the teaching of the same is an evolving, breathing thing.

Take his instructor class while you can.

Well said, and great point. Thanks!

@DacoRoman I have also taken Tom Givens' instructor course and to put it mildly it is the best class I have ever taken. Everything is covered and covered well. You get a higher quantity and quality of information in three days than you get from other's in five. The material alone is worth the price of admission, let alone the statistical information and range work. I would disagree with others about not needing a certification, mainly from the standpoint of liability and personal responsibility.

I would absolutely want to have some sort of a certification for training as justification for what is taught and why so that in the even of a student shooting, injury or whatever if you are called to a stand you have good reason to say I taught XYZ; this is why. Not to point the finger to someone else but provide aid to a student if necessary in their defense, or yours if you are called into question. I have thought long and hard about instructing and it is not something to be taken lightly. Tom will repeatedly tell you so and he is THE authority. Not to sound like a fanboy it is just the truth.

I am not saying this to discourage you but encourage you to seek instructor level training from Mr. Givens. I believe that Mr. Givens is correct in saying that instructing/teaching is truly a matter of life and death, it is serious deadly business. Apologies if I miss quoted. The POI matters significantly but IMHO it is the why behind the how that is absolutely necessary. Being able to articulate or at least being able to speak intelligently/intelligibly about all manners of weapons, safety characteristics, functions, marksmanship, modern defensive techniques and reasons for being armed at all times are just the start. This is just some dude on the internets opinion so you can take all this for what it's worth but do think about every aspect. You will be open for scrutiny and liability if something goes wrong or even right for that matter with any one of your students. Best of luck.

What type or level of instruction are you expecting to do?
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    @DacoRoman I have also taken Tom Givens' instructor course and to put it mildly it is the best class I have ever taken. Everything is covered and covered well. You get a higher quantity and quality of information in three days than you get from other's in five. The material alone is worth the price of admission, let alone the statistical information and range work. I would disagree with others about not needing a certification, mainly from the standpoint of liability and personal responsibility.

I would absolutely want to have some sort of a certification for training as justification for what is taught and why so that in the even of a student shooting, injury or whatever if you are called to a stand you have good reason to say I taught XYZ; this is why. Not to point the finger to someone else but provide aid to a student if necessary in their defense, or yours if you are called into question. I have thought long and hard about instructing and it is not something to be taken lightly. Tom will repeatedly tell you so and he is THE authority. Not to sound like a fanboy it is just the truth.

I am not saying this to discourage you but encourage you to seek instructor level training from Mr. Givens. I believe that Mr. Givens is correct in saying that instructing/teaching is truly a matter of life and death, it is serious deadly business. Apologies if I miss quoted. The POI matters significantly but IMHO it is the why behind the how that is absolutely necessary. Being able to articulate or at least being able to speak intelligently/intelligibly about all manners of weapons, safety characteristics, functions, marksmanship, modern defensive techniques and reasons for being armed at all times are just the start. This is just some dude on the internets opinion so you can take all this for what it's worth but do think about every aspect. You will be open for scrutiny and liability if something goes wrong or even right for that matter with any one of your students. Best of luck.
    Excellent points that are resonating very strongly. Thanks for taking the time. Other than wanting to provide solid instruction, the liability issue is probably the most daunting factor in this whole equation for sure.

I’m pretty much convinced that taking the Tom Givens instructor’s course, if I can swing it, will be all win.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    What type or level of instruction are you expecting to do?
    The students are new gun owners in the community with zero, or bad habit, experience, so it would have to include:

Basic stop the bleed and activate Emergency Response safety brief
    Basic gun safety Rules
    Range safety etiquette

Proper administrative handling, loading, unloading
    Stance, grip, ready positions, presentations
    Sight and trigger management
    Safe Basic Retention and Movement
    Holster Presentations and Re-holstering, OWB, IWB
    Presentations from concealment, OWB, IWB
    Malfunctions
    Reloads, tactical, emergency
    Cover/Concealment indoctrination
    Self Defense Anatomy and ballistics
    Dispelling stopping power myths

I’d want to introduce them to the OODA loop and relay the pearls from Dr. Aprill’s excellent “Unthinkable” Lecture, may Dr. Aprill R.I.P.

Optimizing and refining a proper gear load out will be needed at some point, maybe even as a preliminary thing, but I’d also like to help people be safe and effective with what they have... which in most cases will be a gun and the box it came in.

Then when appropriate, if ever, also considering the ammo problem , timed standards and drills, shooting and moving
    , getting off the X, etc.

And that’s just off the top of my head. I’d have to carefully devise a step by step curriculum.

Due to the ammo issue a good gas blow back airsoft clone would be super helpful too I think. But that’s additional cost and maintenance that most won’t be into.

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    The students are new gun owners in the community with zero, or bad habit, experience, so it would have to include:
    Is the potential student base big enough to host existing instructors?

Independence Training, for instance, does all that. Several years ago I attended a @SouthNarc ECQC that they hosted in Prescott / Chino Valley area. They regularly co-instruct with @Cecil Burch.

@AJZ also teaches in the Prescott / Prescott Valley area. I'm sure there are others. I'm not trying to talk you out of instructing, just making sure you are availing yourself of existing resources.

In my very limited experience working with new shooters, I find a lot of benefit to short 1-2 hour, low student count lessons that methodically work a couple specific things. It's a better way to learn a new skill than the typical two day class. It's also a niche that most full time instructors can't afford to work in, or rather most new students can't afford their $100-250/hr rates.

For instance, I'm working a co-worker now who had no previous experience.

The first range trip was for funzies and casual introduction. Then he decided to get serious.
    The second trip we worked loading and unloading, introduced basic marksmanship fundamentals and hammered on The 4 Rules. I sent him home with some basic dry practice on those things.
    The third trip, he demonstrated acceptable proficiency with those, so we introduced the 4 count draw from a OWB. We shot the TX LTC course of fire.
    The fourth trip some time next week will include him demonstrating all of the above. We'll continue to fine tune.
    There probably won't be a lesson five with me. I'll continue pushing him to pursue professional training as the opportunities come up.

I think there's something to be said for the well trained guy who's willing to do the unglamorous work of getting newbies ready for a comprehensive two day Combative Pistol / First Responder type class.

Additional resources to shape your potential future as an educator.
    @FPF Training is running his excellent class in Phoenix in Feb. I can't recommend it highly enough. It's what a CHL class should be.
    Active Self Protection and Citizen's Safety Academy are running some online (Zoom?) classes that are likely worth your while given your target demographic.
    Claude Werner has a couple books, particularly Common Mistakes Gun Owners Make.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Is the potential student base big enough to host existing instructors?

Independence Training, for instance, does all that. Several years ago I attended a @SouthNarc ECQC that they hosted in Prescott / Chino Valley area. They regularly co-instruct with @Cecil Burch.

@AJZ also teaches in the Prescott / Prescott Valley area. I'm sure there are others. I'm not trying to talk you out of instructing, just making sure you are availing yourself of existing resources.

In my very limited experience working with new shooters, I find a lot of benefit to short 1-2 hour, low student count lessons that methodically work a couple specific things. It's a better way to learn a new skill than the typical two day class. It's also a niche that most full time instructors can't afford to work in, or rather most new students can't afford their $100-250/hr rates.

For instance, I'm working a co-worker now who had no previous experience.

The first range trip was for funzies and casual introduction. Then he decided to get serious.
    The second trip we worked loading and unloading, introduced basic marksmanship fundamentals and hammered on The 4 Rules. I sent him home with some basic dry practice on those things.
    The third trip, he demonstrated acceptable proficiency with those, so we introduced the 4 count draw from a OWB. We shot the TX LTC course of fire.
    The fourth trip some time next week will include him demonstrating all of the above. We'll continue to fine tune.
    There probably won't be a lesson five with me. I'll continue pushing him to pursue professional training as the opportunities come up.

I think there's something to be said for the well trained guy who's willing to do the unglamorous work of getting newbies ready for a comprehensive two day Combative Pistol / First Responder type class.

Additional resources to shape your potential future as an educator.
    @FPF Training is running his excellent class in Phoenix in Feb. I can't recommend it highly enough. It's what a CHL class should be.
    Active Self Protection and Citizen's Safety Academy are running some online (Zoom?) classes that are likely worth your while given your target demographic.
    Claude Werner has a couple books, particularly Common Mistakes Gun Owners Make.
    Im not sure if there would be enough to host a class, but maybe... but thanks for the great suggestions for sure, and many thanks for listing all of these existing resources. I’ll be checking them out! Frankly I’d step into the role of instructor more out of necessity, so being able to refer people to good regional training opportunities will be a handy option.

Buy, read, and follow Dustin Salomon's books "Building Shooters" and "Mentoring Shooters." Within those books, expressly and by default, are roadmaps.

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Shoo.../dp/0692621784
    https://www.amazon.com/Mentoring-Sho.../dp/0692890564

Dustin has also appeared on several podcasts if you want a preview of his material and approach.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List