Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please recommend good instructor's courses

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Buy, read, and follow Dustin Salomon's books "Building Shooters" and "Mentoring Shooters." Within those books, expressly and by default, are roadmaps.

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Shoo.../dp/0692621784
    https://www.amazon.com/Mentoring-Sho.../dp/0692890564

Dustin has also appeared on several podcasts if you want a preview of his material and approach.
    Excellent, thank you!

Site Supporter

Instructing beginners

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post

In my very limited experience working with new shooters, I find a lot of benefit to short 1-2 hour, low student count lessons that methodically work a couple specific things. It's a better way to learn a new skill than the typical two day class. It's also a niche that most full time instructors can't afford to work in, or rather most new students can't afford their $100-250/hr rates.

I think there's something to be said for the well trained guy who's willing to do the unglamorous work of getting newbies ready for a comprehensive two day Combative Pistol / First Responder type class.

[/I].
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Buy, read, and follow Dustin Salomon's books "Building Shooters" and "Mentoring Shooters." Within those books, expressly and by default, are roadmaps.

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Shoo.../dp/0692621784
    https://www.amazon.com/Mentoring-Sho.../dp/0692890564

Dustin has also appeared on several podcasts if you want a preview of his material and approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Excellent, thank you!

Solomon's approach presumes/necessitates repeated, frequent contact with the students. This works fine for an institutional setting or working with a neighbor or friend, but it isn't feasible as a workable model for one-time students.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

The NRA certifications are of little practical value. They do have marketing value in that some states recognize them for carry licenses/permits.

You will probably need an instructor certification to get liability insurance.

I can't speak directly about the USCCA certifications, but based on indirect evidence, I would rate them similarly to the NRA value.

Rangemaster is the tops for actually preparing students to walk about armed. As you already have experience with CSAT, completing their instructor course would also be a consideration.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The NRA certifications are of little practical value. They do have marketing value in that some states recognize them for carry licenses/permits.

You will probably need an instructor certification to get liability insurance.

I can't speak directly about the USCCA certifications, but based on indirect evidence, I would rate them similarly to the NRA value.

Rangemaster is the tops for actually preparing students to walk about armed. As you already have experience with CSAT, completing their instructor course would also be a consideration.
    Thanks for your response. Good things to consider.

When I did the CSAT courses I was living in Dallas, so CSAT was about 4 hrs away but yes I would love to do their pistol and carbine instructors courses!

But alas, shit happens when one leasts expects it, as they say, and my plans for taking an instructors course will have to wait until I rehab my right shoulder. I recently had surgery to repair a high grade shoulder separation that I got this early January after going over the handle bars of a ski bike while going down a slope. I hit an ice patch and ooopsies..
    So I’ll have 3-4 months most likely to think about what course I’ll end up taking... I wonder how much more expensive ammo and gas will be by that point, yikes!

Thanks again y’all for the great tips.

User Tag List