Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Leupold Delta Point Micro (DPM)

Gotta admit, the low profile to the bore just may be my bridge to the dot world. I'm intrigued enough to probably try one out. If they had one for a VP9 I'd have it on order already.

I had an opportunity to shoot the DPM last week. I was skeptical about the window size but also felt it had promise because of the "dot" location in relation to iron sights. I ran 100 rounds of full power .40cal 180 grain ammo through a G22 with the DPM mounted on it.

Started cold with draws to 1 shot engagements at 10 yards. From the very first shot I was impressed with how quickly and effortlessly the dot found its way to the intended target. The small diameter tube proved to be a non factor from the draw. As I suspected the dot basically being located where my rear sight would be aided in dot aquisition.

The second series of drills were controlled pairs and hammers at 10 yards. Tracking the dot under recoil was also very easy. I did find that a good master grip and proper recoil management aided in dot recovery during multiple round engagements. Not unlike other dots like an RMR, DPP or Holosun but it seemed to be more critical with the narrower field of view.

The last drill was multiple target engagements at 10 yards followed by quick follow up face shots. I've always instructed my students to look through their rear sight to find the front sight when using irons. With that in mind transitioning from target to target was a breeze with the dot presenting itself clearly during each evolution. Follow up face shots were quick and easy to place accurately despite having a smaller "window" for refined shots.

Due to time and ammo restrictions I had to keep the testing short but all in all I think the DPM is a solid option.

I got to dry fire a G19X with the new Leupold today. On so many levels this thing seems flawed. No Gadget, pokes into your body carried appendix, you can’t hit the back of the slide when drawing and ride down into place with a high grip, and the display is so small is hardly should be called a display. I can’t imagine any experienced red dot shooter preferring this over iron sights.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    He was remarkably diplomatic... More so than I expected. Almost too much, perhaps.
    I can't see how it makes any sense to spend $400 on this thing, even if you're only dot-curious and want to try out the RDS concept. You're going to instantly see the advantages of a dot while also instantly seeing the disadvantages of this particular design. And then you're gonna feel like you just wasted $400 because you either don't like shooting with a dot (quite possibly because you experimented with a shitty design) or you realize you actually need a traditional RDS design.
    And yes, I realize how much it costs to experiment the other way: buying the RDS, plus needing a pistol that is set up for it or milling a slide, but damn, this just doesn't seem like a good alternative to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    He was remarkably diplomatic... More so than I expected. Almost too much, perhaps.
    I can't see how it makes any sense to spend $400 on this thing, even if you're only dot-curious and want to try out the RDS concept. You're going to instantly see the advantages of a dot while also instantly seeing the disadvantages of this particular design. And then you're gonna feel like you just wasted $400 because you either don't like shooting with a dot (quite possibly because you experimented with a shitty design) or you realize you actually need a traditional RDS design.
    And yes, I realize how much it costs to experiment the other way: buying the RDS, plus needing a pistol that is set up for it or milling a slide, but damn, this just doesn't seem like a good alternative to me.
    I agree.

I appreciate the willingness to innovate and think outside the box, but being different doesn’t make it useful.

User Tag List