Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Leupold Delta Point Micro (DPM)

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    I can see this (or more likely, a future version of this concept) being hugely popular.

The reason being simplicity and cost.

Theres what - 8-10 million Glocks in the the US? The vast majority without an MOS cut.

And adding a RMR cut to a legacy pistol Glock is $175, plus cost of a new set of suppressor heigh sight ($50), and the hassle of sending the slide out for 4-6 weeks.

With this or similar system, the user just knocks off the existing rear sight, and instals this. Order the thing from Amazon, 3 days later your legacy Glock is Red Dot equipped, with a savings of $225 vs having the gun milled.

I can see a future version, where instead of this:

They flip the battery mount so that its parallel with the rear of the slide:
    I'm guessing if the battery tray was parralell to the back plate the 90* angle it would create might become a point of potential failure from the slide cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I’m sure they would have done that, but it would require a much smaller battery... ala ACRO. Unless of course you have a self-cleaning Glock...
    Here's a CR2016 on the back of a 17L slide; the 2016 is the same diameter as the standard 2032, just thinner (I didnt have any spare 2032's)

It would probably end up with a slightly higher RDS mount then the current DPM to allow enough clearance for the slide to be removed. But I don't think this presents an insurmountable engineering challenge by any means, and I think the overall RDS heigh would end up comparable to current milled setups, as the RDS itself would be thinner minus the battery compartment.

But overall, I think some variation of this would be a promising future development of the Deltapoint Micro concept, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see more red dots built around this idea. Take this parallel battery concept, the rear dovetail sight mount of the DPM, and then a bigger, more traditional window that incorporates a built in backup rear sight, and we'd be cooking with gas.
    Last edited by spyderco monkey; 01-07-2021 at 05:36 AM.

Here's a CR2016 on the back of a 17L slide; the 2016 is the same diameter as the standard 2032, just thinner (I didnt have any spare 2032's)

It would probably end up with a slightly higher RDS mount then the current DPM to allow enough clearance for the slide to be removed. But I don't think this presents an insurmountable engineering challenge by any means, and I think the overall RDS heigh would end up comparable to current milled setups, as the RDS itself would be thinner minus the battery compartment.

But overall, I think some variation of this would be a promising future development of the Deltapoint Micro concept, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see more red dots built around this idea. Take this parallel battery concept, the rear dovetail sight mount of the DPM, and then a bigger, more traditional window that incorporates a built in backup rear sight, and we'd be cooking with gas.
    Engineering battery contacts that would withstand cycling in that direction sounds like an interesting challenge.

Well, OK, now I have learned the identity of that which I have been seeing in the memes. I will keep an open mind. It may serve some roles. Maybe a low-profile offset back-up optic on a long gun, if someone will make Pic-rail-to-Glock-rear-sight-dovetail adapters?

I fiddled with an RMR, temporarily diverted from BUOS on a long gun, on a Glock MOS, then went an Aimpoint ACRO P-1, on a milled Glock slide, so, I am already OK with red dots on pistols, and not feeling a need for anything smaller than the ACRO.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Engineering battery contacts that would withstand cycling in that direction sounds like an interesting challenge.
    Ah, that is something I hadn't considered, and have no idea about.

Weapon mounted lights have their battery contacts in the line of recoil, but obviously a fixed weapon light - even on a shotgun - is subject to far less G force then a slide mount.

Ah, that is something I hadn't considered, and have no idea about.

Weapon mounted lights have their battery contacts in the line of recoil, but obviously a fixed weapon light - even on a shotgun - is subject to far less G force then a slide mount.
    You could hang it over the side of the slide instead of the rear. That gets it out from under the optic window but still keeps the battery contacts perpendicular to slide recoil. It would interfere with the serrations, but that's not an insurmountable problem.
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

I think they were trying to have it fit holsters, too. I looks like it can work with open top holsters, but may have problems with retention holsters that go over the back of the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel View Post
    You could hang it over the side of the slide instead of the rear. That gets it out from under the optic window but still keeps the battery contacts perpendicular to slide recoil. It would interfere with the serrations, but that's not an insurmountable problem.
    That is a rather more interesting idea, and it might serve as an effective cocking lever as well. The problem with that would be the control button situation, and having it compatible with handedness for the shooter.

What we really need is an enclosed emitter optic with great reliability, great battery life, and an acceptable size. That takes us back to the product-improved ACRO that AIMPOINT is supposedly about to deploy.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I can envision a future in which this basic profile is very common for smaller carry guns... but that future is not today. I think solving the problem of battery sizeower ratio would need to come first. That dongle hanging off the back of the slide is.... "problematic," to use a word I feel like the NYTimes would approve of.

Curious to see where it goes. If nothing else, I have to give credit to Leupold for being innovative (not something they are lately known for if we are honest!)

I'm interested to try one out. I'll save judgement till then.

User Tag List