Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI: DIY Glock / RMR milling experiences?

I have also looked into this, utilizing a friend's help who has been successful in life doing things a lot more complex than this. One of our thoughts was that if we proved it out, it would be easy to replicate. The CNC process makes leaving the bosses straightforward, but we have considered using dowel pins instead, I would not skip them. Really, if custom shops can do this for $160 and make money then it is not all that complicated, they have just put the effort into getting a proven CNC setup established and then they can push a button.

But doing this to your only/primary gun would be a bold move, though with a Glock there are a buttload of aftermarket replacement options. We were more like "What the hell, we could do this!" and I was going to do it to one of my M&Ps and I have several of them, including a 1.0 with an Apex barrel that would be perfect for it. And I am getting to the point in my life where I can afford to take a bit of a risk on stuff like this with a gun that is just sitting in a safe and not worth all that much anyway.
    ETA: The linked article used a police trade G22 that he paid $300 for in 2015 and was probably rapidly declining in value...

But before we ever got around to spending what would surely be most of a whole day on a Saturday I got one of the Performance Center CORE 1.0 slides I dropped onto my M&P-40 and I plan to use that as a basis for deciding if I want to go down the red dot rabbit hole. But if I like it I may revisit this direct mill idea.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 12-31-2020 at 07:57 AM.

I started a couple replies right after the thread was posted and kept getting pulled away. It looks like most of it has been said. For one slide, or even five slides... Just pay somebody to do it right. CHPWS, Jager Weeks, Maple Leaf, L&M, ATEI...there are just too many good shops that are essentially known quantities.

Maple Leaf is $125 and offers a very generous LE/MIL discount. They've done my last couple but I wouldn't hesitate to use anybody I listed or several I can't think of.

Quote Originally Posted by JTPHD View Post
    Does anyone have experience with going this route?
    I also had another thought, probably nobody (including me...) has any experience doing it because the shops with CNC are doing them pretty cheap. Another aspect of this I thought of in follow up is that if you plan to dovetail for the backup iron sights that is going to take a specific tool, your friend will either have to be able to grind tools or you buy one, and they are oddballs that probably cost $40-$50 just for that cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by tlong17 View Post
    $150 to CHPWS for a super tight mill job with recoil bosses and Zev posts is cheap insurance for a cut that holds the optic, is aligned properly, stands up to hard use, and has a reputation. Also makes it easier to resell. If I’m going to cut a hunk of material off my slide I’m going to pay a little extra to be sure that shit is done right by a proven pro. Just my thoughts.
    I didn’t realize CHPWS could cut for both a MOS plate and a forward position BUIS. The website mentions full sized Glocks, I think I need to ask if they can do that on my 26.5.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

You all have brought up some good points. As per usual, this forum has helped me gain more understanding. After considering the options it's not worth the risk for me. I'm going to send it to an experienced slide milling provider and call it a day. Thanks for your input, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by JTPHD View Post
    You all have brought up some good points. As per usual, this forum has helped me gain more understanding. After considering the options it's not worth the risk for me. I'm going to send it to an experienced slide milling provider and call it a day. Thanks for your input, everyone!

Good choice, I think. For what it's worth, Battlewerx has a sale on optic cuts right now. Glocks start at $75. They did a nice job on my G19 - RMR is super snug. http://www.battlewerx.com/rmr-cut-glock/

ETA: that price does not include finishing. I prefer nitride or cerokote, but I know folks who will just use cold blue on the RMR cut and drive on.

If you have someone who can do it, or walk you through it and it's not your only piece, go for it. You'll learn plenty and have a ball doing it. It is a very simple job. It does have to be done to some decent tolerances and done correctly but it's basically quite simple.

One thing to remember is that Tenifer is very hard, but very shallow. You'll need carbide end mills. Once you're through the Tenifer the slide isn't hardened so normal drills will do the job.

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I didn’t realize CHPWS could cut for both a MOS plate and a forward position BUIS. The website mentions full sized Glocks, I think I need to ask if they can do that on my 26.5.
    If anyone cares, CHPWS said there shouldn’t be a problem milling a 26.5 for either of these.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    If anyone cares, CHPWS said there shouldn’t be a problem milling a 26.5 for either of these.
    The slide is dimensionally identical other than the overall length. Everything up to the breechface is 100% the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    The slide is dimensionally identical other than the overall length. Everything up to the breechface is 100% the same.
    I understand, but their website said “GLOCK (Standard Size or larger 19, 17, 34, 40)” so I thought it best to ask before assuming.
    Ken

User Tag List