Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: DIY Glock / RMR milling experiences?

RFI: DIY Glock / RMR milling experiences?

I've been researching options for mounting an RMR to my G19.5, and saw a Kit Badger video where he had a local machine shop to do the milling work instead of sending his slide out. He contacted Trijicon for the RMR footprint dimensions and used the instructions from this site: https://rifleshooter.com/2015/07/mil...-trijicon-rmr/

Does anyone have experience with going this route? I have a friend that teaches machining and has access to the equipment.

My main reasons for pursuing this route are cost (free) and no/minimal lead time. Just interested to hear others' experiences. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    I haven't ever milled on a pistol slide but I've got a LOT of experience working with a variety of machinists for custom parts/components etc and setting appropriate specs/realistic goals and what not.

Ultimately there's not going to be a good 'general' consensus with something like this because every machinist/machine shop is a totally different beast. They're all awful at some things, okay at others, and a few are truly excellent in some lanes but that's rare these days. I've known one machinist ever that would absolutely ALWAYS get it right but his time and effort is not cheap - most of his work is on DoD widgets these days.

In short, a shop offering RMR milling has done the R&D to offer a consistent result and that usually takes ruining at least a few pieces before you have it 100% right.
    So by the time they're up and going publicly offering that service, they've fine-tuned everything from how the slide is braced inside the machine to specific bits, tooling packages, tool speed, lube etc and these programs are incredibly proprietary and specific to the machines/tooling/bits etc that shop uses.

Does that mean a skilled machinist can't pick up a Glock slide, look at RMR drawing specs, and look at other milled Glock slides and get it right the first time? No - but it'll take time and attention to detail that would normally cost a customer A LOT more money than just sending it off.

If you've got a machinist friend that's interested in doing it for kicks, awesome. But do make sure you bring him a cheeseburger and/or a 12 pack of his favorite beer, as good machinists tend to be hermits that forget to eat, etc.

Thank you for your feedback, @JRB!

I am going to investigate some more and discuss those considerations you brought up with him. I want to proceed slowly with this before attempting anything. And, I will certainly pay him for his efforts- honestly more concerned about the lead times than cost.

For RMR milling, I want either the recoil bosses or the Zev threaded posts. The Kit Badger slide had neither iirc so all the force is being applied to the screws. Hard pass on that.

I would not trust any old machinist that was local but if you're willing to risk it for the cost savings then I say go for it.

$150 to CHPWS for a super tight mill job with recoil bosses and Zev posts is cheap insurance for a cut that holds the optic, is aligned properly, stands up to hard use, and has a reputation. Also makes it easier to resell. If I’m going to cut a hunk of material off my slide I’m going to pay a little extra to be sure that shit is done right by a proven pro. Just my thoughts.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTPHD View Post
    Thank you for your feedback, @JRB!

I am going to investigate some more and discuss those considerations you brought up with him. I want to proceed slowly with this before attempting anything. And, I will certainly pay him for his efforts- honestly more concerned about the lead times than cost.
    IMHO, I'd rather wait on a known, consistent finished result than 'have it now' with a guy doing it all for the first time with all the corresponding inherent risks.

I'm also with my buddy @Casual Friday on the absence of the recoil studs. No point doing a half-ass DIY.

Site Supporter
    The saved juice is not remotely worth the squeeze. Send it out to somebody who knows what they are doing.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Slides are hardened and relatively difficult to machine well. RMR installations have features which have significant position and dimension.

Site Supporter
    Since you weren’t specific and are worried about lead time I have to ask if this is your only gun? If it is use the red dot money to buy a second gun first.

If it isn’t your only gun then another option would be to find and buy an oem slide to send out and get milled.

And last but not least, if dude screws up your slide will he be buying you a new one?
    im strong, i can run faster than train

I had a slide milled by a reputable company that is mentioned on this forum often. They damaged my slide but provided me with another factory slide. I would not risk sending my slide for a machine shop to experiment with. Would a generic machine shop provide you with a new slide to hack up if they mess up the first time?

User Tag List