Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NC and Concealed Fixed Blade Carry?

It was a few years ago, but I distinctly remember my NC CCW class covering in no uncertain terms that the permit applied only to firearms (this was 2013, not sure if there's been an update since then).
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoresy View Post
    It was a few years ago, but I distinctly remember my NC CCW class covering in no uncertain terms that the permit applied only to firearms (this was 2013, not sure if there's been an update since then).
    In fact, the most recent NC state mandated exam to get the concealed handgun training certificate actually has a question on it which makes it clear that knives aren’t covered by the permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I can't elaborate on any laws. However, if you find a fixed blade isn't an option a Kershaw/Emerson CQC6K is an inexpensive waved folder. I've carried one since 2015/2016 everyday. While not as easy as a clinch pick, I have managed to put it to use during FoF. It's in no way assisted so it's legal pretty much everywhere. You can also get a trainer version.

You can probably find them around $25 online.

Amazon has them at $38 right now.
    https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-3-25-.../dp/B00I0RSVQK

If you need a cheap fill in, I'd strongly consider it.
    ^^^ That's a great deal! Honestly! ^^^

I was really impressed with the emerson wave when we did Cecil's class ... In a lot of our rolls that things was easily accessible and handy!

Site Supporter
    I've taken to carrying a waved kershaw/Emerson as well. Big fan of the knife.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    ^Also $29.95 at Knifecenter. But total order has to be > $100 to get the free shipping. Which here is never a problem...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    To the OP...if you are not confident in my synopsis, please consult with an attorney before taking any risk of being found to be outside of the regs.
    No sir, it reinforced every piece of information I could find online. I'll stick to a folder when in the state.

If anyone were to find themselves arrested for carrying a knife, the below would likely be of interest.

The § 14-269 (b1) Affirmative Defense
    The existence of an affirmative defense as provided in sub-part (b1) of § 14-269, may explain the scarcity of appellate level reported cases in North Carolina on the interpretation of the ‘ordinary pocket knife’, or degrees of concealment as mentioned above. Successful use of the defense may have eliminated the need for appellate review where concealment is the only criminality. Sub-part (b1) provides a defense to one prosecuted under § 14-269, the concealed carry statute if:

(1) The weapon was not a firearm;

(2) The defendant was engaged in, or on the way to or from, an activity in which he legitimately used the weapon;

(3) The defendant possessed the weapon for that legitimate use; and

(4) The defendant did not use or attempt to use the weapon for an illegal purpose.

The burden of proving this defense is on the defendant.

Items (1) through (4) are conjunctive, meaning all must be true, and the burden of proving each of them is upon the defendant. Sub-part (b1) does not mean that one cannot be charged with a criminal violation if items (1) through (4) are true. It means that if one is charged and can prove at trial the truth of the requisite items, he has established a defense to the charge. That is why it is referred to as an ‘affirmative defense’.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I can't elaborate on any laws. However, if you find a fixed blade isn't an option a Kershaw/Emerson CQC6K is an inexpensive waved folder. I've carried one since 2015/2016 everyday. While not as easy as a clinch pick, I have managed to put it to use during FoF. It's in no way assisted so it's legal pretty much everywhere. You can also get a trainer version.

You can probably find them around $25 online.

Amazon has them at $38 right now.
    https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-3-25-.../dp/B00I0RSVQK

If you need a cheap fill in, I'd strongly consider it.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've owned a CQC6K before and still have one of the trainers laying around. I have a CQC4K that I really like and several waved Spydercos. I'll likely default to one on a RCS Pocket Shield during travel and clipped to a pocket while in the woods where I'll be most of the trip.

NC definition of ordinary pocket knife

Go to the link provided and scroll down to the last entry on the page.........this covers "ordinary pocket knife" definition.

https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegisla...GS_14-269.html

NC knife law is confusing. I work at a place that has its own police force and its own special knife laws, which appear to say that no knives of any kind are allowed, including ordinary pocket knives.

It shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person to cause, encourage, or aid a minor who is less than 18 years old to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any BB gun, stun gun, air rifle, air pistol, bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slungshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, metallic knuckles, razors and razor blades (except solely for personal shaving), firework, or any sharp-pointed or edged instrument except instructional supplies, unaltered nail files and clips and tools used solely for preparation of food, instruction, and maintenance, on educational property.
    https://www.ncleg.gov/EnactedLegisla..._14-269.2.html

There is no later subsection of this section that states an exception for ordinary pocket knives.

I wrote to the police chief to ask about this and I was told that cops on that force would not take notice of ordinary pocket knives unless they were used in acts that were otherwise criminal. Needless to say, I saved that email.

I have not yet written to my local sheriff to ask about small concealed fixed blades like, say, a Ka-Bar TDI knife. I know a person who carries such a knife concealed pretty regularly here in my county (not at work--yes, this person coincidentally works in the same place as me, too). By all accounts, it's illegal to carry such a knife concealed. The story I've been told by various people is similar to the story told to me by the above-mentioned police chief. Namely, the law says what it says, but an otherwise law abiding citizen isn't going to get in trouble for carrying a small fixed blade knife concealed (or, by extension, using it in an otherwise justifiable defensive encounter). I need to verify, but it sounds plausible. Also, I live in a rural "conservative" county and I wouldn't make similar guesses about what goes on in Charlotte and Raleigh and other such awful places.

I am not giving any advice. Nor do I imagine that an email from a local chief leo will necessarily save you if things go badly.

Not giving advice

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Go to the link provided and scroll down to the last entry on the page.........this covers "ordinary pocket knife" definition.

https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegisla...GS_14-269.html
    If you go to this link you will see it deals with concealed weapons. If you scroll to the last section at the bottom of the page you will see the definition of an ordinary pocket knife. You will also see that an ordinary pocket knife is “exempted” from this law as titled at the beginning. Not giving advice, just pointing out what the law states. And yes, the CCW can be very confusing!

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    If you go to this link you will see it deals with concealed weapons. If you scroll to the last section at the bottom of the page you will see the definition of an ordinary pocket knife. You will also see that an ordinary pocket knife is “exempted” from this law as titled at the beginning. Not giving advice, just pointing out what the law states. And yes, the CCW can be very confusing!
    If my memory serves, I believe that prior case law in NC has determined pocket knives having a closed length of 4.5" to meet the standard. In most cases, it's what is being done with the knife as opposed to what's in your pocket that is going to carry the day.

Mileage will vary with different courts and presiding judges...but precedent will carry some weight in most courts.

For the purposes of illustration, a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (PM2) or Manix 2 are 4.5" closed.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List