Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NC and Concealed Fixed Blade Carry?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If my memory serves, I believe that prior case law in NC has determined pocket knives having a closed length of 4.5" to meet the standard. In most cases, it's what is being done with the knife as opposed to what's in your pocket that is going to carry the day.

Mileage will vary with different courts and presiding judges...but precedent will carry some weight in most courts.

For the purposes of illustration, a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (PM2) or Manix 2 are 4.5" closed.
    In Matter of Dale B., 96 N.C. App. 375 (1989), the court ruled that a knife that was “about four and one-half inches in overall length, when folded,” was an ordinary pocket knife. However, the exception doesn’t cover switchblades, i.e., knives that that may be “opened by a throwing, explosive, or spring action.”
    (Remember, the above refers to "concealed" pocket knives...as opposed to open carry.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    If you go to this link you will see it deals with concealed weapons. If you scroll to the last section at the bottom of the page you will see the definition of an ordinary pocket knife. You will also see that an ordinary pocket knife is “exempted” from this law as titled at the beginning. Not giving advice, just pointing out what the law states. And yes, the CCW can be very confusing!
    If this is directed at my post, you have misread me. Ordinary pocket knives are indeed exempted from the concealment section that you quoted. But they are not exempted from the section that I quoted, which has to do not with concealment but with possession at educational campuses and whatnot. The link is here again: https://www.ncleg.gov/EnactedLegisla..._14-269.2.html According to the letter of the law, you are not permitted to have an ordinary pocket knife on an educational property. That's why I asked my campus's police chief about my campus police's policies on the matter. And as we agree, neither of us is giving the other any advice.

Possibly part of the problem is that I accidentally quoted the wrong subsection, (e), rather than (d). The difference is that (e) refers to aiding minors, where (d) refers to what you yourself do. Here's the text I should have quoted:

It shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any BB gun, stun gun, air rifle, air pistol, bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slungshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, metallic knuckles, razors and razor blades (except solely for personal shaving), firework, or any sharp-pointed or edged instrument except instructional supplies, unaltered nail files and clips and tools used solely for preparation of food, instruction, and maintenance, on educational property.
    14-269.2 has no subsequent (or antecedent) subsection that offers an exception regarding ordinary pocket knives.

My main point was that it might not be a bad idea to ask the local chief law enforcement officer about their policies on knives, since the laws are so confusingly written. Probably not relevant to someone just passing through the state.
    Last edited by Moylan; 12-31-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Pardon the detour from the clear focus of this thread . . .

Perspective: Graduated from high school in small town in 1967.

I, and many, if not most of my classmates, many farm boys, carried pocket knives from around halfway through elementary school through high school graduation. Nobody, I mean nobody, gave it a second thought. It was a tool. Still is, well, to most.

It's a shame society has "developed" in a way that something like a small red-scaled Swiss army knife has become a dangerous weapon instead of a pocket tool box.

MacGyver would be . . . well, he just wouldn't make it today.

And now, back to the regular programming . . .

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Pardon the detour from the clear focus of this thread . . .

Perspective: Graduated from high school in small town in 1967.

I, and many, if not most of my classmates, many farm boys, carried pocket knives from around halfway through elementary school through high school graduation. Nobody, I mean nobody, gave it a second thought. It was a tool. Still is, well, to most.
    How do you cast flies accurately with those little dinosaur arms of yours?

(I kid, I kid: same deal with me and my classmates...)
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    How do you cast flies accurately with those little dinosaur arms of yours?

(I kid, I kid: same deal with me and my classmates...)
    We dinosaurs are quite adaptable. We are also smart . . . and prepared for any eventuality imaginable.

Consider us "woke".

That's why we plan on ruling the earth for millennia!

[Stay tuned for how that works out . . .]

If you don't mind, gents, let's try to get this one back on track for those who may be interested in the relevant info.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Having lived in NC since 1980 with a brief hiatus for my military service, I'm shocked and disturbed that I never knew about the blade restrictions. I wear a double edged Tops Ranger Shorty on my belt as a work tool, mostly for probing rotten wood and other building materials. In warm weather it's in plain view. When I wear a jacket, it's not. I obviously don't wear it anywhere there are metal detectors or when I go in my grandson's school, and I don't make a habit of running afoul of the law. So technically speaking I'm breaking the law wearing that under a jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    Having lived in NC since 1980 with a brief hiatus for my military service, I'm shocked and disturbed that I never knew about the blade restrictions. I wear a double edged Tops Ranger Shorty on my belt as a work tool, mostly for probing rotten wood and other building materials. In warm weather it's in plain view. When I wear a jacket, it's not. I obviously don't wear it anywhere there are metal detectors or when I go in my grandson's school, and I don't make a habit of running afoul of the law. So technically speaking I'm breaking the law wearing that under a jacket?
    Yes.

But you might also live out the rest of your days without it becoming an issue.

But it could.

User Tag List