Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NC and Concealed Fixed Blade Carry?

Site Supporter

Arrow NC and Concealed Fixed Blade Carry?

In the past I tried to keep up with the knife carry laws of the various states where I regularly travel. I'm taking a look at them again now due to some upcoming extended trips and the fact that I presently carry a Clinch Pick daily.

It seems that there is still no legal way to carry a concealed fixed blade in NC.

Am I missing something or is this information correct?

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/north-carolina/

There are various exemptions...but they are limited to judges, law enforcement etc. I don't have specific knowledge or personal experience which is why I referred to the link above.

§ 14-269. Carrying concealed weapons.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his or her person any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shuriken, stun gun, or other deadly weapon of like kind, except when the person is on the person's own premises.

(a1) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his or her person any pistol or gun except in the following circumstances:

(1) The person is on the person's own premises.

(2) The deadly weapon is a handgun, the person has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter or considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, and the person is carrying the concealed handgun in accordance with the scope of the concealed handgun permit as set out in G.S. 14-415.11(c).

(3) The deadly weapon is a handgun and the person is a military permittee as defined under G.S. 14-415.10(2a) who provides to the law enforcement officer proof of deployment as required under G.S. 14-415.11(a).

(a2) This prohibition does not apply to a person who has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, has a concealed handgun permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, or is exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to G.S. 14-415.25...(cont'd)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

So, do I read that as a concealed carry permit only applies to firearms?

ETA: whoops, thought I was covered last time I was in NC.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    So, do I read that as a concealed carry permit only applies to firearms?

ETA: whoops, thought I was covered last time I was in NC.
    Unless you qualify for exemption under one of the categories enumerated under section (b) of § 14-269 ...you'd be in violation.

Site Supporter
    I read it that (a2) means if you have a concealed carry permit you can carry a pistol AND also carry any of the items in (a). But I'd confirm that before doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    I read it that (a2) means if you have a concealed carry permit you can carry a pistol AND also carry any of the items in (a). But I'd confirm that before doing it.
    That would be incorrect.

The fact that the regulation is split into one section referring to various bladed and striking objects...and the following referencing handguns (covered via license) is how you can tell. Otherwise, there'd be no reason to not include handguns in the first section with the other items and give a blessing for valid license holders and / or those excluded under the following sections.

What this tells you is that although you may have a valid permit for a firearm, it does not encompass the earlier described items.

(And then they'll happily tell you that ignorance of the law, or your failure to fathom the way it's written...isn't their problem. )

(a2) This prohibition does not apply to a person who has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, has a concealed handgun permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, or is exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to G.S. 14-415.25, provided the weapon is a handgun, is in a closed compartment or container within the person's locked vehicle, and the vehicle is in a parking area that is owned or leased by State government. A person may unlock the vehicle to enter or exit the vehicle, provided the handgun remains in the closed compartment at all times and the vehicle is locked immediately following the entrance or exit.
    Last edited by blues; 12-30-2020 at 01:52 PM.

I can't elaborate on any laws. However, if you find a fixed blade isn't an option a Kershaw/Emerson CQC6K is an inexpensive waved folder. I've carried one since 2015/2016 everyday. While not as easy as a clinch pick, I have managed to put it to use during FoF. It's in no way assisted so it's legal pretty much everywhere. You can also get a trainer version.

You can probably find them around $25 online.

Amazon has them at $38 right now.
    https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-3-25-.../dp/B00I0RSVQK

If you need a cheap fill in, I'd strongly consider it.
    Last edited by Cory; 12-30-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    That would be incorrect.

The fact that the regulation is split into one section referring to various bladed and striking objects...and the following referencing handguns (covered via license) is how you can tell. Otherwise, there'd be no reason to not include handguns in the first section with the other items and give a blessing for valid license holders and / or those excluded under the following sections.

What this tells you is that although you may have a valid permit for a firearm, it does not encompass the earlier described items.

(And then they'll happily tell you that ignorance of the law, or your failure to fathom the way it's written...isn't their problem. )
    Not so sure about that. Keep reading. Section (b) says "This prohibition", singular, referring back to collectively the entire body of previous prohibitions. That's how the language is used in this section, i.e. referring back to the previous broad prohibition. (a2) is doing the same thing, i.e. "This prohibition" (referring to EVERYTHING in the broad terms of (a)). I'd at least check that out with somebody in local LE or law, that's how I read it. But I sure wouldn't risk it until I KNEW for sure. Definitely don't take my word for it, IANAL.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Not so sure about that. Keep reading. Section (b) says "This prohibition", singular, referring back to collectively the entire body of previous prohibitions. That's how the language is used in this section, i.e. referring back to the previous broad prohibition. (a2) is doing the same thing, i.e. "This prohibition" (referring to EVERYTHING in the broad terms of (a)). I'd at least check that out with somebody in local LE or law, that's how I read it. But I sure wouldn't risk it until I KNEW for sure. Definitely don't take my word for it, IANAL.
    Suit yourself, but I can assure you that your interpretation is incorrect...and this matter has been discussed on the forum previously by and with active NC LEOs, who have confirmed the interpretation offered. I'm merely a retired federal LEO that left government employ before moving to the state.

To the OP...if you are not confident in my synopsis, please consult with an attorney before taking any risk of being found to be outside of the regs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    this matter has been discussed on the forum previously by and with active NC LEOs, who have confirmed the interpretation offered. I'm merely a retired federal LEO that retired before moving to the state.
    Well that should settle it right there. I'd see that as pretty definitive.

User Tag List